Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2012, 06:54 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
...Neither the Ford or Workhorse chassis was/is used in diesel models.
OOps! Must have been looking at the wrong model.

Tell me about Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Freightliner Chassis with Cummins ISL 400 HP/1250 Lb. Torque. They don't offer a Spartan in the Phaeton or the Allegro Bus. How does this model Freightliner measure up to a Spartan?

Thx all.

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #30

Also, went back to HR and the one I was looking at was the Ambassador, built on a "custom" Roadmaster RR8R chassis with a Maxxforce 10 I-6 diesel engine with 1,150 lbs./ft. of torque pulling GCWR 46k. This is a 40PDQ and does not have a tag axle, and I can't see anything about IFS. Any input on this unit?

Kathryn

Actually went back to HR and a more fair comparison would probably be the Endeavor, same 40PDQ, same chassis as far as I can tell, same wt., MaxxForce® 10-405HP EPA 2010 Engine with Allison 3000 MH 6-Speed World Transmission and Electronic Shifter, 1250 lbs/ft. torque, 9.3L/570 cu. in.

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

You can find all the details on any Freightliner chassis by finding the motorhome brand and model (current year or older) on the "Built On Freightliner" pages at Built On Freightliner

The Phaeton 42 is a tag axle chassis with a solid (I-beam) front axle.

Spartan has a similar but less comprehensive page listed under "Riding on Spartan" in the drop-down menu under Recreational Vehicles. Click the 'Recreational Vehicle' heading and select the motorhome brand you want to see.
http://www.spartanchassis.com/schome.asp

Not all Spartans have an IFS either - some configurations use a Meritor I-beam. As I said, you can't make any conclusions based solely on chassis brand.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

None of the Road master chassis have an IFS. The RR8 and RR10 models use a different type of suspension that involves a floating subframewith a solid axle. It's not an IFS, but it has some of the characteristic of one. The RR4 and RSR models are a simple solid axle.

I won't try to convince you that the floating subframe is better or worse than an IFS - read about it and decide for yourself.
Roadmaster Cushion Air Glide
Roadmaster Chassis
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
JMHO, but I believe you are over thinking this, Kathryn. If you get a high quality coach, it will have the appropriate engine/transmission and a good high quality chassis. You'll find the lower end MHs (read cheaper) will have smaller engines, some with marginal power, and less expensive and not as nice chassis.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:32 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
JMHO, but I believe you are over thinking this, Kathryn. If you get a high quality coach, it will have the appropriate engine/transmission and a good high quality chassis. You'll find the lower end MHs (read cheaper) will have smaller engines, some with marginal power, and less expensive and not as nice chassis.

Bingo. You can beat this to death, but I think choosing a coach based on chassis is a bit much... We've owned diesel pusher coaches on both Spartan & Freightliner chassis. (As well as the venerable P30...) In my experience, it really doesn't make any significant difference. Both are excellent and I venture no one has empirical data to argue with that. Things like claiming that a Spartan chassis is better because it has a steel overflow tank that will never crack and leak? Come on, a statement like that simply isn't true. (I know, we own a company that manufactures steel & aluminum tanks...)

If real data is not going to be used in analysis, fine. I guess I would claim that the Spartan chassis under our 2001 Forest River coach was inferior, and that the Freightliner chassis under our Journey is superior. Our Spartan based coach rode and handled far worse. Accordingly, Spartan makes an inferior chassis to Freightliner. Right? Wrong...

The point is, motorhomes are a combination of many different factors, only one of which is the chassis. To base a purchase on chassis, or heaven forbid engine, is too simplistic. Got to look at the whole package as an integrated unit. I would be far more concerned about the final manufacturer. How long have they been in business? What is their reputation for quality & customer service over the past 20 years? How about the past 40 years? Do they use good materials & smart design? That sort of thing.

If you're unsure about what to buy, I highly recommend buying a used coach first. Learn about what features are really important to you after actually living with it. Researching a purchase to death will most likely lead to disappointment, as no coach will meet perfection standards. Except maybe a new Prevost or Newell I guess...
Old 06-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #35

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
Bingo. You can beat this to death, but I think choosing a coach based on chassis is a bit much...
If you're unsure about what to buy, I highly recommend buying a used coach first. Learn about what features are really important to you after actually living with it. Researching a purchase to death will most likely lead to disappointment, as no coach will meet perfection standards. Except maybe a new Prevost or Newell I guess...
NOPE, I saw one of those on a "hook" just yesterday! Pretty sure its owner was at least "disappointed". BUT, I do agree with most of the rest of your excellent post.
Ed
Old 06-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well, you are buying a Motor Home; you're going to go motoring in it. The chassis, which is the primary determinant when it comes to a satisfying driving experience, is critical to your decision. Cruzer had the opportunity to drive two similar coaches on two different chassis styles on the same date; most of us don't get that kind of opportunity. However, we can drive coaches of similar value and layout in order to get a pretty good impression of likes / dislikes. I am on my second Spartan for the simple reason that I was really, really impressed with the way my Tiffin 42 tag mountain master performed for over three years of ownership and 35K miles. I went looking for another Spartan, but I made sure I drove some of the others as well. I didn't like the 42 Tour on the FL; it didn't drive like a Spartan. I loved the looks, layout, amenities, etc. but not the way it drove. Same thing with Monaco. You have to drive a few of them. You can find the ideal combination of motor and home if you look hard enough. When you're parked layout is everything but when you're out on those windy roads that go up and down??? Grab a Fleetwood or American Coach while you can still get one on a Spartan. By the way, there are some great deals on a couple of 2011 fleetwood Providence 42 tags around - great, great value if you ask me; check it out.
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:43 PM   #37

I looked at Newmar service bulletins Spartan vs Freightliner and Spartan had 3 pages and freightliner had two tso's. on one page.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post
I looked at Newmar service bulletins Spartan vs Freightliner and Spartan had 3 pages and freightliner had two tso's. on one page.
Spartan was paying attention???
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:14 AM   #39

iRV2 No Limits Club
their all great if working well and maintained

Tags
freightliner, spartan