Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2012, 12:24 AM   #1

ok first big trip went perfect , now upgrades

ok we took our first big trip after a couple small ones and had a great time with no problems. St louis to yellowstone , then vegas , then L.A. where we
camped on the beach , then to the grand canyon and back home
i decided since the rv was good to us ill return the favor and give her
some new upgrades . Im currently pulling out all the flooring for new carpet
in the bedroom and tile up front so while every things apart im seeing what else i can do. i would like to change the water pump but im a little confused.
i dont like having to flip a switch everytime i want to flush the toilet when we are on the fresh tank. i seen the demand water pumps that come on when u turn on the water but the diagram still shows a switch . If i change to a on demand pump do i still have to flip a switch or can the switch be left on and the pump would work more automatically .
thanks for the help
cocos camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #2

On our previous model the switch would provide power to the pump and the pump only ran as needed (when faucet was on). Most times once the switch was turned on the pump would run for a second or two to prime everything.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:04 AM   #3

We always leave ours on, unless we leave, I would hate to come back and find 100 gallon of water inside the RV because of a broken pipe.
Buy a good quiet pump, for some reason they get noisier in the middle of the night when in use. A new quieter pump is on my upgrade list.
RMinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:28 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I turn on the switch and leave it when we are on the tanks. I had hubby put in a quiet one, the old one had a leak and was loud. At first I didn't like it cause I couldn't tell it was on, now I don't pay any attention and you never hear it run. I know if I don't have water either the tank is empty or I forgot to turn it on. Mine holds almost 100 gallons of water so I seldom run out.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:27 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I think the answer to your question is, yes, a demand water pump still has a switch but it doesn't have to be thrown each time you need water. Just turn it on and leave it... unless you follow the good practice of turning it off when leaving the coach for any period of time.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:26 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocos camper View Post
ok we took our first big trip after a couple small ones and had a great time with no problems. St louis to yellowstone , then vegas , then L.A. where we
camped on the beach , then to the grand canyon and back home
i decided since the rv was good to us ill return the favor and give her
some new upgrades . Im currently pulling out all the flooring for new carpet
in the bedroom and tile up front so while every things apart im seeing what else i can do. i would like to change the water pump but im a little confused.
i dont like having to flip a switch everytime i want to flush the toilet when we are on the fresh tank. i seen the demand water pumps that come on when u turn on the water but the diagram still shows a switch . If i change to a on demand pump do i still have to flip a switch or can the switch be left on and the pump would work more automatically .

thanks for the help
Leave the switch. It will save you from a flood if somethings breaks under a sink or other hidden area. Turn it on when you are there and need the water to run.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #7

OK thanks everyone. For the info
Now I just need a good quiet pump
And do a quick swap while Its apart

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120828_231719.png
Views:	172
Size:	464.0 KB
ID:	25426
Old 08-29-2012, 06:57 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't think they make a good quiet pump.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:00 AM   #9

cocos on your demand pump setup....if you spring a leak....the pump will run....why worry about a new type electrical system...just turn the pump switch you have on and leave it on?
Many many flooded TVs have been created due to on demand or manual switches being left "on" and a leak occurring...just something to ponder for you
Old 09-10-2012, 11:14 PM   #10

ok i got the water pump figured out , now I would like to add a second switch to turn on the water heater in the bedroom while everythings apart ( im still doing the flooring and all that work that comes with it). I have the wiring diagram but my question is since i am adding a second switch should i isolate the two with a diode so the power doesnt back feed into the original switch
I found I really enjoy working and making mods so i really appreciate every ones
help with all the questions ive had
Old 09-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
be aware that a quiet pump will not alert you to a leak in the middle of the night. if the system is water-tight the pump will not make a sound. a leak will get your attention rather quickly.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #12

OK I finally got the flooring done and the trim finished. I thought I would. Add the pics so if any one is thinking. Of replacing their floor maybe this might get them motivated.
Overall. Not a hard job but very time consuming. It took me about 30 hours to remove everything. And reinstall it.
About 8 hours to lay down the new carpet And vinyl. It was only about 600 for all the flooring and the new trim.
I think it was well worth the time and cost.

Name:	ForumRunner_20121015_215644.png
Views:	154
Size:	370.4 KB
ID:	27748

Name:	ForumRunner_20121015_215713.png
Views:	148
Size:	451.1 KB
ID:	27749

Name:	ForumRunner_20121015_215845.png
Views:	142
Size:	437.5 KB
ID:	27751

One of the difficult things was the slide, getting carpet stapled to underside. I made a small end cap from 2x2 s and brackets so we stapled the carpet On the underside then slid the end cap on, secured it with screws then flip carpet Over, stretch and staple .. worked out real nice.

Name:	ForumRunner_20121015_220501.png
Views:	169
Size:	319.1 KB
ID:	27757

Name:	ForumRunner_20121015_220343.png
Views:	153
Size:	382.7 KB
ID:	27755

Now on to some water line and valve replacements.. I don't think it ever ends

Name:	ForumRunner_20121015_220402.png
Views:	140
Size:	483.3 KB
ID:	27756

Name:	ForumRunner_20121015_215906.png
Views:	133
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	27752

Name:	ForumRunner_20121015_215927.png
Views:	168
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	27753
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20121015_215740.png
Views:	106
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	27750  
Old 10-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #13

That looks very good. I have new carpet going in my '93 Country Coach on Thursday. I hope it comes out as well as yours. I got a quote for $950 for the Front Room and the Bedroom including a very good grade of carpet. All I have to do is remove the furniture. Sounded pretty reasonable to me. It is a non slide coach. Joe
jofo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #14

Sounds like a great deal. I'm sure it will look good. Post a pic when your done