Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ok, I can't find my brake controller wires

I have looked everywhere and I don't see the red, white, black, and blue wires that Monaco said would be under the dash of my 2008 Beaver Contessa. Another Monaco Tech said I should see a 6 wire connector with only 5 wires attached to the headlight switch.

Is there a way to connect 12v to the brake wire at the 7 prong connector and then 'sniff' it out at the dash? I want to try to use the factory wires if possible. If I have to re-wire I will.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #2

Chassis maker is the key. Who made yours?
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Chassis maker is the key. Who made yours?
Roadmaster by Monaco
Old 02-07-2014, 09:20 PM   #4

I've got a diagram for Freightliners and have found them on the Tiffin chassis, but nothing on the Roadmaster. Sorry

Good luck finding them. I know standing on your head is always so much fun.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:01 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hey there Pigman 1, if you have the diagram for the Frieghtliner chassis I would really like to get it. I have a 2004 Gulfstream Atrium with the Cat C7 in a Frieghtliner and need to put in an electric brake controller and it would be much easier if I knew where to look for the wires.

Thanks so much.
mdpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
I have looked everywhere and I don't see the red, white, black, and blue wires that Monaco said would be under the dash of my 2008 Beaver Contessa. Another Monaco Tech said I should see a 6 wire connector with only 5 wires attached to the headlight switch.

Is there a way to connect 12v to the brake wire at the 7 prong connector and then 'sniff' it out at the dash? I want to try to use the factory wires if possible. If I have to re-wire I will.
You can purchase a circuit tracer at your home center to trace your wire from the rear. There are two parts to the tracer: one (transmitter) is attached to the known wire that sends out a signal to be picked up by the other part (receiver). The receiver's sensitivity can be adjusted so you can zero in on the correct wire. This can be used to locate all kinds of wires on your RV as long as they don't have 120 volts on them.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by waroland View Post
You can purchase a circuit tracer at your home center to trace your wire from the rear. There are two parts to the tracer: one (transmitter) is attached to the known wire that sends out a signal to be picked up by the other part (receiver). The receiver's sensitivity can be adjusted so you can zero in on the correct wire. This can be used to locate all kinds of wires on your RV as long as they don't have 120 volts on them.
Ok, I just picked up Sperry wire tracker/tracer and I' m heading out to try it.....wish me luck!
Old 02-08-2014, 02:14 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Should find the connector taped to the wiring of the headlight switch wiring (just to keep it out of the way). I could not find mine from under the pedals or through the access panel on the dash. Wasn't til I pulled the instrument cluster out did I see it.

Still a problem for me as the P3 controller and the Monaco Brake signal wire are not compatable. Monaco is constant on, until you press the brake pedal. AT LEAST WITH MY 2006 HR. Needed to pull a signal wire from the FR wire bay and use a relay
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ok, I found the connector! It was in the side console. 6 plug connector with 5 white wires. I have a constant 12v, a trailer wire (found it with the tracer) and brake switch wire (only has power when brake pedal is applied). I'm now trying to confirm what the other wires are for - one is probably a ground.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:33 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club

My wires were all labeled (printing on the white wires) but I did test each one before connecting to the P3. Of course I had to cut off the connector and discard it.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #11

The last 2 will be ground and dash lights.
camper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtime III View Post

My wires were all labeled (printing on the white wires) but I did test each one before connecting to the P3. Of course I had to cut off the connector and discard it.
Yep, there does appear to be labels on the wires.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:32 PM   #13

Glad you found it.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpuff View Post
Hey there Pigman 1, if you have the diagram for the Frieghtliner chassis I would really like to get it. I have a 2004 Gulfstream Atrium with the Cat C7 in a Frieghtliner and need to put in an electric brake controller and it would be much easier if I knew where to look for the wires.

Thanks so much.
Unfortunately, it's a PDF file and I don't know how to post it here. If you (or anyone else) could PM me with you're email address, I'd be happy to send it to you.

Tags
brake