Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2015, 09:08 PM   #1

Ok, let's talk "GPS" units

Ladies and Gents,
Our Magellan Roadmate has been going into epileptic fits lately. It operates, then seizes up, then, won't respond to touch screen requests and more. It's only about 2 years old but, it was a refurbished one when we purchased it. It's a life time map one and, has been up dated a couple of times since we purchased it. But, we can no longer trust it. We've had to re-set it numerous times, just to get it started. So, IT'S OUT!

Now, we're in the search for a new one. We don't need a NASA Space shuttle quality unit. Just one that WORKS! They make them really complicated now days and, we just need one that will help us get from point A to point B. Sometimes, we MAY want to program a route but, most of the time, it's simply looking up an address for something or some place we're headed to.

I did a search but, as usual, it came up with a zillion threads that had the word or, letters "GPS" some place in them and, none were specifically about GPS units and, characteristics. We used to have Streets and Trips way back when and I thought it was a neat program but, it's been out of production for quite a while.

So, we're looking for a 7" one that has the least amount of "complaints". One other issue. On the Magellan that's going bad on us, when taken off the dash and un-plugged, it's battery life is around, oh, about FIVE MINUTES, PLUS OR MINUS!! That sucks because, if the wife is trying to find something or some place, she's got to kneel in front of the dash to program the unit to find what we're looking for.

So, we need one that has good reserve battery power. I thank you for your suggestions a head of time.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2015, 09:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The 2 best sellers for RV's are the:

-Rand McNally RVND 7730/5. Very reliable, mature platform, full of RV specific features, and affordable.

-Garmin RV 760. Very reliable, very mature platform, some RV specific functions, moderately priced.

Both come with lifetime map updates.

The Garmin has a cult following because of Garmin's lineage...remember the SteetPilot?
The RandMcNally is sold at Camping World and can be found on sales.

We already had a Garmin Nuvi (5"screen), so we got an early Rand 7710...liked it so much, we got a second (7720) for the second front seat (pilot and navigator GPS).

We recommend both brands, but prefer the RandMcNally for the RV.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:08 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I own a RV 760 and for the most part it is pretty good. It does think the Main Street in my town is RV restricted, making for some interesting thoughts on how I should get home...including taking me on a 16% grade...however I know home well enough to ignore those silly routes. What worries me is what if this occurs in a town I don't know...short story it is great for getting up and down the highways and routes between RV parks, it's database of RV parks is adequate but not encyclopedic. You still need to consult a decent map if you will be off the beaten path. The sound level is adequate, the display is good. Free lifetime maps in the one I bought. I had an earlier Magellan unit from Camping World that I did not like, but I am a longtime Garmin user so maybe I was just more comfortable with the Garmin...I also own the Trucker version of the 760... Decent listing of fuel stops but I'd go with the RV version.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:12 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have the 7720 and then a Garman built into the dash radio/control center. Personally I prefer the 7720. I also have three or four other smaller screen ones that I keep in the van and at home since they're out of date now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:03 AM   #5

Hi, Scott-

Below are a couple of links to recent iRV2 threads on GPSes. I posted on each thread. Feel free to send me a private message if you want any details on my experiences with the Garmin RV 760LMT.

Mark

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/which...er-263794.html
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f52/gps-w...ra-263318.html
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:13 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It maybe more than you want to fiddle with but Magellan talked me thru a complete reinstall/reboot of the firmware and updates on my roadmate1700LM. It Basically took a gps "brick" and restored it to life.Sorry all those contacts and downloads are elsewhere at the moment. It did take several hours but I was not required to sit there and watch it.
My RM trucker 710 is my goto GPS while in the MH, the Magellan is in the Jeep for local work.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:21 AM   #7

Hey Fireup!

We just completed a big trip with the Rand 7730. It worked well, and the RV features are very nice. Like every GPS I have owned, or currently own, they can come up with stupid stuff. Always best to check the route yourself.

On 4-5 occasions it had warnings about sharp curves,,,, there wasn't one. The map data has errors. As GPS's get more features, become more specific it is putting the heat on to the map data suppliers to have more detailed and accurate data. But overall it did really well, found every RV park, Pilot service center (our favorite) etc without issues.

I would say battery life is 30-45 mins.

L.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:22 AM   #8

We purchased the Garmin RV 760 from Amazon and in the few times that we've been out since buying it has done a very good job. Easy to set up and use, nice size screen ( 7" I believe ) would recommend it to anyone.

2014 Berkshire 390RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:59 AM   #9

Have had three GPS', Started with a Magellan Roadmate, went to a RandMcNally RVND, and am now using a Garmin RV 760. They all worked good enough, but to be fair, the older Roadmate was not in the same league as the others.

The RVND77 and RV760 are good GPS' and both have their pluses and minuses. Value wise, I would give the nod to the RVND for the lower price. The RV760 screen seems to have a little better touch response and is easier to view. We still use the RVND outside the MH and the Roadmate we gave to RV friends is still in use by them. The only reason we moved from the RVND was because we went through two chargers and the battery is very weak.

And using Google Maps is a big help with any GPS.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:55 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Your Ipad or Android Tablet and smart phones can all be GPS units with one @$50 license fee for all.

If you use Co-Pilot or Sygic software, you do not need broadband data to make them work enroute. The maps are stored on your device just like a stand alone GPS unit.

Your tablet screen would be 8" or 10" and my Galaxy S3 phone is 5" so all are as big or bigger than many GPS units.

I elected to have three GPS for less money by going this route. We always have one of them in our pocket or purse.

I also can elect to use Google Maps when in an urban area for excellent GPS directions but using some of my broadband data allowance.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:18 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
I have moved up to the 760, love the screen size, it beeps or dings with alerts for speed limit changes, sharp curves, and other things. Can be set for RV or car, tries to keep you on RV friendly roads but you need to know where you are going, sometimes you have force it go the route YOU want by setting waypoints I don't think there is a perfect GPS .
Old 10-14-2015, 11:39 AM   #12

Hi, Scott-

Below is another iRV2 thread comparing GPSes that I ran across while looking for something else. I hope it helps.

Mark

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f52/compa...lm-246434.html
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:11 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
You could buy a used 9.7" iPad that has cellar service available(needed for a built in GPS) But you don't need to get cellar service with it to run CoPilot.

Plus put the CoPilot $14.99 on it. for far less $$ then what a RM 7730 7" will cost you. And the iPad can use Wi-Fi and many different apps that the stand alone Small GPS units can.

Did I say the iPad has a 9.7" screen?

Mine works great mounted on the drivers side window running CoPilot.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:06 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Just read a review of the new Garmon 660LMT in the Oct 2015 Motorhome magazine. Only a 6" screen, but designed specifically for rv use. Looks promising.

Tags
gps