Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-04-2016, 05:06 AM   #15
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
Thinking about something in the 2010 model years and leaning towards gas but my ego and desire for less stress suggests DP.... any thoughts???
I'm somewhat in the same boat as you. I recently retired and have been looking at several MH forums to get opinions on the different coaches. Gas vs DP was the first choice to make for me and I've narrowed it down to a DP. Many reasons for this but primarily I will only buy one coach and I want it to be the right one. We will camp extensively for 2-4 years being gone from home for 2-4 months at a time. So to be comfortable we need a 40 footer. That eliminates a gasser.

My boat which we must sell before getting a DP has 2 Cummins B series diesels, so I'm familiar with diesel engines. They are expensive to maintain but if maintained will far out last a gas engine.

As mentioned I'm doing the research and hope to get it right the first time. Saving money is a priority in retirement so getting the last coach first is very important.

Good luck and let us know what you get.

PS: I have 2 friends that have Tiffin coaches. One a gas and one a DP. Both love their coaches. The friends in the DP coach live in it 5 months a year. That being said, I would love to get a '08 Dutch Star though not likely in my budget.

Tampa Bay
Current Ride 35' motor boat, Future Ride 37-42 DP
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2016, 11:56 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Newmar of course. But what do I know I'm a bit partial. No really both are good coaches. Go with the floor plan that works for you.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2010 Chevy Colorado 4X4
DD788Snipe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:36 AM   #17
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
Roger, thanx...I'm only 50 from Elkhart in Michigan. Are you full timers? I'm 3-4 from retirement and trying to dip our toes in the pool. I've traveled extensively with a Wilderness TT but that was years and another life ago.. Thinking about something in the 2010 model years and leaning towards gas but my ego and desire for less stress suggests DP.... any thoughts???

We are not fulltimers. We are about five years from retirement. When we started looking, we were searching for a 5yr old DP. Our budget was $150k but could have stretched it to $200 k if we had to. We looked at a lot of used and new MH over about a year. Most all the 5yr old coaches seemed very dated on the inside and that was important to the Mrs, most had carpet and that was one of the main dislikes of our then current coach, and few 5yr old coaches had some options that are somewhat standard now like a residential refridgerator and an outdoor tv. After touring a Tiffin 36LA, it became the floor plan and options that everything else was being compared to. Tiffin offered the same floor plan in a RED, rear engine Diesel, but it was so new that there was nothing on the used market. The price difference between the 36LA and the 38ft RED new was $78k. Not being a full timer, I just couldn't justify the extra money for 3 day weekends and sub 500 mile trips. We used that money to purchase our own RV lot in our favorite beach town about 5 hours from home. We leave the MH there for months at a time and just drive down for the weekends. My advice is if you don't want to buy a deisel, don't test drive one. Drive and ride is where you see the glaring difference between gas and diesel coach. Many will disagree with me but I think floor plan is the most important criteria when choosing a MH, for a 3 day weekend, I spend 10 hrs behind the wheel and 72 hrs living in it. I'm not hung up on "brand" , I feel like we are on the 5-7 year plan, after that length of time it will be time to try something different.
Roger And Kim Goodwin
bout them DAWGS!!
Roger G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:25 PM   #18
After 3 years of ownership on our Tiffin 36LA we see no need to upgrade. It does everything we need it to do, love the floorplan, reliable as can be, economical to run and maintain, comfortable both driving and parked and looks fantastic. What more could one ask for? We are at the retirement stage and plan a long trip either this winter as snowbirds or an extended spring trip of 2-3 months. We have done some long trips already and have no desire for anything else. Very camp campers.
2013 Tiffin Allegro 36LA OPEN ROAD
2012 Honda CRV AWD toad
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:03 PM   #19
Due in part to stiff competition, both Newmar and Tiffin are good coaches. With that said, with you living so close to the Newmar factory, I'd recommend Newmar for service reasons.

A DP compared to a gas motor home is another story that only you can decide. I LOVE my DP but I spend time on the road where i enjoy the ride and quietness. Too many people spend the money on the diesels but don't drive them enough. If you are planing on driving......you can't beat the comfort of the DP.

Drive several coaches because they all drive differently. When we bought our Entegra we drove some beautiful coaches just to be disappointed. In one case we drove 8 hours for a 20 minute test drive and came home very disappointed, with our money instead of the coach.

Good Luck finding what makes you happy

2015 Entegra Aspire RBQ
Wagon: 2015 Chevy Z71 Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Avail, Air Force One
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote

newmar, tiffin