Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2016, 06:27 PM   #1

Smile OK...Newmar OR Tiffin???

HELP!!! My wife and I have it narrowed down now for our First "used" Class "A" purchase. We are interested in the Newmar Canyon Star (gasser) OR Ventana (DP) models. AND, we are also interested in the Tiffin Allegra (gasser) models. It would be in the 32-36 foot range between model years 2008-20014.

Can you assist please and tell us which way you'd go with the experience you've all had and maybe briefly "why" you would go with the brand and model you've selected.

Thanx so much...suffering from some "analysis paralysis"!!!:banghead

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2016, 06:57 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That's really really broad. Could be taken as a Ford vs Chevy or worse, DP vs Gasser thread. Lots of them out there.
Newmar is rated a little higher in my book. Probably a little more expensive too. You usually get what you pay for.
It would be much better (and easier for anyone who responds) if you explained what is important to you.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:03 PM   #3

You are pretty much comparing apples to apples so get the one that just feels right. I live 40 miles from Red Bay Al. So I own a Tiffin, if I lived in Indiana I would most likely own a Newmar. My advice is not to get hung up on brand. Different people have different priorities, make a list. Divide it into must haves and wants. Buy the one that meets the most items on your list. We didn't end up buying what we originally went shopping for, we bought the unit that everything else ended up being compared too.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
That's really really broad. Could be taken as a Ford vs Chevy or worse, DP vs Gasser thread. Lots of them out there.
Newmar is rated a little higher in my book. Probably a little more expensive too. You usually get what you pay for.
It would be much better (and easier for anyone who responds) if you explained what is important to you.
Would be a Ford V10. Leaning towards gas to just keep the initial experience a little less costly in case FT'ing is not for us...lose less on the sale me thinks!
I thinking around a 2010 model with reasonable miles and time for the initial bugs to be addressed may be a good choice...
Old 08-03-2016, 07:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
You are pretty much comparing apples to apples so get the one that just feels right. I live 40 miles from Red Bay Al. So I own a Tiffin, if I lived in Indiana I would most likely own a Newmar. My advice is not to get hung up on brand. Different people have different priorities, make a list. Divide it into must haves and wants. Buy the one that meets the most items on your list. We didn't end up buying what we originally went shopping for, we bought the unit that everything else ended up being compared too.
Roger, thanx...I'm only 50 from Elkhart in Michigan. Are you full timers? I'm 3-4 from retirement and trying to dip our toes in the pool. I've traveled extensively with a Wilderness TT but that was years and another life ago.. Thinking about something in the 2010 model years and leaning towards gas but my ego and desire for less stress suggests DP.... any thoughts???
Old 08-03-2016, 07:11 PM   #6

Like others have said, what is important to you? How much will you use the coach? The DP has many luxury features you won't find in the gas models, like aquahot, diesel generator, airbag suspension, air brakes, having the engine 30 feet behind you instead of under your feet....etc.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:15 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've had two Newmars so naturally we're a LITTLE biased! And yes we should have bought a third rather than the Magna!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:17 PM   #8

We jumped from an '11 28' gasser to a 35' 2011 Ventana and there is no comparison in handling and comfort going down the road. There is a huge price difference though.

We looked at both Tiffins and Newmars and would have had a Tiffin RED but the deal fell through which may have been a blessing because we latched onto our Ventana shortly afterwards. One thing that impressed us with the Newmar is the increased carry capacity it had over the RED. Perhaps it was just those two models and that year but it's worth noting and comparing in the coaches you're interested in.

I think both are quality coaches though and are pretty equal on workmanship.

Good luck with your search!
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:22 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

That's quite a spread in years and coach makes/types. Comparing a Ventana, even the LE, to some of the lower-end Tiffin Allegros isn't exactly apples-to-apples. And the Newmar Canyon Star is Newmar's top-line gasser, so maybe somewhat upscale from the Allegros.

Since you are in Indiana, I would think that access to Newmar's factory service (or Fleetwoods in Decatur) would be a major influence for your choice. Neither would outweigh the right size and floor plan, or a notably better condition in one or the other, but all other things being equal the service and parts would win me over.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:22 PM   #10

Really I am a nice guy. :)

Wow, it really makes my blood boil when soo many people speak as if they have knowledgeable experience.
Tiffin and Newmar, how do they compare? Both are the only two main stream producers of Motor homes that are family owned Mfg.'s. Ends there!
Newmar builds all there coaches like a home, 16" on center studs, dual layers of insulation in the side walls, 6 laters in the roof. A quieter and better insulated coach by far. Diesel, Newmar does 8-10 upgrades Tiffin won't spend the money for, Gas, Newmar insulates around the engine compartment like none other. (Quieter)
I am on my 6th coach, much research and many factory tours. Both are good Mfg.'s, Newmar just builds a better home.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:27 PM   #11

If you can swing it, I would go with the Ventana over any 2010 gasser. Newmar makes a solid product and their customer care is very good. Bear in mind that opinions will differ and this is just my personal .02 cents. Some may disagree.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:30 PM   #12

OP...have you driven each of the coaches on your short list yet? That might help you to focus on your perfect coach for you.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:47 PM   #13

We went with the Newmar Canyon Star over the Tiffin 36LA as we felt the Canyon Star had a much better fit and finish as well as it drove a little better. As far as the diesel vs gas, we went gas because I can do all my own maintenance and that was important to me.

As far as not being able to get some of the same amenities as a Ventana in the Newmar Canyon Star, that is not 100% correct. When we were looking, the Newmar Ventanna with basically the same amenities as ours, except for the things you can't get without the diesel chassis, (air bags ect) the Ventanna was about $100k more OTD. The Ventana was definitely nicer and a better ride due to the Comfort Steer, but then again it should be for the difference in price.

You can't go wrong with a Newmar, ours drives great, tracks well, does not get pushed around by wind or big trucks, and the engine sound is extremely quiet compared to other gas models we have driven. We have only had a few minor adjustment needed since the purchase and have never had to leave it overnight at a repair facility. The difference in price between the Newmar Canyon Star new and the Tiffin 36LA was only $2000, and in my opinion well worth the extra money.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:12 PM   #14

When we were thinking of a motorhome we kind of narrowed it down to Newmar. During the next two years everytime we saw a Newmar in a campground we'd go and talk to the owner. (Owners like to talk.) There was not one that was the slightest bit dissatisfied with the quality and lack of repairs. That sold us.

We bought new and full-timed in it for 8 years with no problems. If we were to buy again it would be a Newmar without any hesitation.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, tiffin