Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #1

OK smart guys, figure out this water pressure issue...

I'm stumped on this one.

Recently while camping at the North Carolina State Fairgrounds, we had an issue with water pressure.

The campground uses these water spigots with a pressure relief valve under the connection that must be pulled down and then released to start the flow of water. I'm guessing it's a freeze-prevention design, but in any case, it's different than most water connections that are your basic screw-on, and turn on designs. Anyway, after connecting the hose and going through the requisite steps to turn on the water, we had little pressure inside the coach. At first there would be average water pressure, then it would quickly taper off to a trickle. We ran a host to an open neighboring site and connected the hose, and had decent water pressure. We returned to the same campground about a month later, backed into a different site, and ....same thing! Thinking I solved the issue before by connecting to a different water spigot, I tried the same, but this time it didn't solve the issue. Then in dawned on me...I wonder if there might be an issue with my water pressure regulator. So I replaced the on I was using with another that I had in my toolbox. Bingo....we had water pressure.

So, my only guess is that maybe it was something about the design of that water regulator that caused the issue? But that seems odd, as there isn't much to a pressure regulator (just a restricted opening, I think?).

Hmmm, anyone care to solve the riddle?

Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Usually, those things on the ends of the spigots are vacuum breakers to protect the water system from back-siphoning. They only work well if the water flow is high enough to "bridge the gap" and they do clog up and need to be replaced periodically. I think you could have problems if your regulator doesn't allow enough water to flow.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #3

It is actually has many things that can cause it to fail. It is not just a restricting orifice. The fluid pressure is reduced by taking a permanent pressure drop across the valve. This is accomplished by a variable flow area inside the valve. The typical set up involves a spring and diaphragm that are connected to a pintle or other device that regulates the flow opening in the valve. The spring is adjusted to the desired outlet pressure by compression or relaxation. The incoming fluid pressure reacts against the spring/diaphragm force to create an equilibrium of forces. So if the incoming pressure goes up, the force on the diaphragm goes up and causes the spring load to increase. This will move the pintle to close off the flow area. When the inlet pressure drops, the load on the diaphragm decreases and the spring extends to lessen its force and causes the pintle to open the flow area.
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #4

Thanks guys - those are some powerful replies! So, what I'm reading from that is basically it could in fact be something to do w/ my pressure regulator, and there is clearly more to it than simply a restricted orifice. Reason enough to have a spare along at all times, which I do!
Old 12-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

If you plan to replace your regulator I highly recommend you get a Watts regulator rather than one of the cheap ones sold for RVers. You can buy a Watts at Home Depot or Lowes and can easily fit them with the appropriate fittings so you can connect it to the spigot and your water hose. If you like paying more money you you can buy them online with all the fittings attached.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
If you plan to replace your regulator I highly recommend you get a Watts regulator rather than one of the cheap ones sold for RVers. You can buy a Watts at Home Depot or Lowes and can easily fit them with the appropriate fittings so you can connect it to the spigot and your water hose. If you like paying more money you you can buy them online with all the fittings attached.
Great advice! I'll look into it.

I'm also researching surge protectors so if you have any tips on those, I'm all ears.

Thx much!

Mike
Old 12-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1943D18 View Post

Great advice! I'll look into it.

I'm also researching surge protectors so if you have any tips on those, I'm all ears.

Thx much!

Mike
Here's the place to purchase the watts regulator.

RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV

I recommend the Watts X65BG Model.

For the surge protector I recommend the Progressive Industries HW-50C EMS Sytem.

Here's the place to purchase that unit.

Progressive Electrical Management System, Hardwire 50A/240V EMS-HW50C

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 12-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1943D18 View Post
We have one of theseProgressive Industries EMSHW50C Surge Protector : Amazon.com : Automotive. It's tripped 3 times, all of which were low voltage. This protects your air conditioner(s) when in a campground with older wiring. It also is a smart circuit analyzer.

Not real cheap, but sure is cheaper than replacing an A/C.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I had two pressure regulators fail this summer. Both the same model. I changed to a different brand and so far no more failures. My failure mode was a normal amount of pressure for 2 to 3 seconds, then just a slight trickle. When I disconnected the hose from the pressure regulator there was a very slow trickle of water.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #10

Surge Guard is a proven surge protector as well
Old 12-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #11

I have no experience with Surge Guard but can recommend Progressive Industries HW50C. This unit is more than a surge protector. It also protects against bad ground, open neutrals, as well as high and low voltage. Progressive Industries also stands solidly behind its products. After an electrical storm caused our unit to fail they mailed me an easily DIY installed replacement digital readout and circuit board gratis. My only expense was return mail for the failed parts.
Progressive Industries is a reliable company with outstanding customer service.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I have a Surge Guard on mine and it saved me a couple times in a camp ground in Florida last year. They had a sign up at the entrance saying basically they weren't responsible for power fluctuations. My husband mounted it permanently inside the power bay so no one would steal it. Mine is for a 50 amp. It has a delay before it comes on also.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZDZIT View Post
I have no experience with Surge Guard but can recommend Progressive Industries HW50C. This unit is more than a surge protector. It also protects against bad ground, open neutrals, as well as high and low voltage. Progressive Industries also stands solidly behind its products. After an electrical storm caused our unit to fail they mailed me an easily DIY installed replacement digital readout and circuit board gratis. My only expense was return mail for the failed parts.
Progressive Industries is a reliable company with outstanding customer service.
Can this be a DIY install?
Old 12-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Here's the place to purchase the watts regulator.

RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV

I recommend the Watts X65BG Model.

For the surge protector I recommend the Progressive Industries HW-50C EMS Sytem.

Here's the place to purchase that unit.

Progressive Electrical Management System, Hardwire 50A/240V EMS-HW50C

Dr4Film ----- Richard
X2 ... both are high quality products and worth every $$

Tags
water