Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2015, 11:03 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Almost all tires used on RV 22.5" wheels are truck tires.

Long Haul tires have less sidewall protection and higher speed performance than do tires used on intra-city rigs like garbage trucks, buses, cement trucks, intra-city freight trucks.

Long haulers spend more time rolling on the freeway and less time bouncing tires off of curbs.

RV specific tires are offered by a few manufacturers. But I have not used any in the past 13 years having had only Bridgestone and Toyo.

Also have not heard of the brand you are discussing.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2015, 11:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modela View Post
I usually don't get involved in discussions like this. Everyone has their opinion and I respect that.
I am a old truck driver. You can't compare a large truck to a RV. A 18 wheeler has larger springs than a RV. But you can use some of the smaller ply truck tires on you RV. Most people put a tire on their RV that is design to carry a heavy load and they think they are getting a better tire when they get the 16 ply. When they do, they get a rough ride. Most RV's can safety get by with 14 ply and some of the smaller ones can use 12 ply. Sure the dealer wants to sell you the 16 ply, because they cost more. Look up and see what weight each ply rating will take.

Just make sure you are getting a steering tire. There is a difference between a steering tire and a pulling tire that goes on trucks.

One more thing. In my opinion the only thing difference between a truck tire and a RV tire is the price.
again the difference is the uv protection and on most the tread pattern

big rig tires ride crappy on motorhomes because they have side wall protection.. made for jumping curbs... they also have a different outer tread that resist tire peeling...

if you put rv tires on a big rig trailer you will peel that outer tread off like and orange peel..

you can put big rig tires on an rv// ride like crap and the tread will way out last the casings...

common for goodyears to go 2 or 3 years longer than Michelin on the casings

Old 02-19-2015, 11:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Almost all tires used on RV 22.5" wheels are truck tires.

Long Haul tires have less sidewall protection and higher speed performance than do tires used on intra-city rigs like garbage trucks, buses, cement trucks, intra-city freight trucks.

Long haulers spend more time rolling on the freeway and less time bouncing tires off of curbs.

RV specific tires are offered by a few manufacturers. But I have not used any in the past 13 years having had only Bridgestone and Toyo.

Also have not heard of the brand you are discussing.
yep...
Old 02-19-2015, 11:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryly Blithe View Post
The issue is that it doesn't look like Dynacargo are RV tires, they're long-haul truck tires. I, like Fred and Crusher, am concerned that the ride will be unnecessarily harsh because they're designed to carry much heavier loads.

Another big clue is if you search IRV2 for "Dynacargo," this thread is the only one that pops up. That no one has ever asked about or even mentioned these tires before is pretty damning evidence that they have no business on an RV.

Bottom line: if I buy this rig I'll be replacing all 8 tires, no matter how new the front ones are

Thanks everyone!
you gonna put two tires on craigs list?????

JK... couldn't resist
Old 02-19-2015, 11:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
In my opinion any differences between "long haul truck tires" and "RV tires" is vastly over rated. All modern tires have UV protection, though RV-specific tires may have some extra. And the ride quality is little, if any different. Consider that Michelin designates several of their major tire models (XZE, XZA, XPS, XZA2, etc.) as RV tires, but those are the very same models are sold for truck and bus applications as well. Nothing unique to RVs about them. Smae UV and same ride characteristics, regardless of where they are installed.

I've been running Continental HSR2 "truck tires" on the rear of my coach for nearly three years now and cannot detect any difference in ride or handling vs the former GY G670 "RV tire". It was pretty easy to detect the almost $300/tire price difference, though.

Long haul truck tires do sometimes use a harder rubber compound to increase tread life. That's more likely to affect traction than ride, though. Ride is affected mostly by the air pressure (psi) and maybe sidewall design. Most tire manufactures recommend what they call their "regional delivery" tire for RVs use, since the applications are most similar.
good post.... take a look at the rv tires tread design

1st tread on either side is smaller that long haul truck

safe to put the trucks on the rv... but not vise versa
Old 02-19-2015, 11:23 AM   #20

Evidently the coach your looking at has a tag axel, you could move those tires to the tag axel and run whatever brand tire you decide on the steer axel. They may not match the other tires tread pattern but who cares.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:50 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf111 View Post
Evidently the coach your looking at has a tag axel, you could move those tires to the tag axel and run whatever brand tire you decide on the steer axel. They may not match the other tires tread pattern but who cares.
lol.. didn't know that
Old 02-19-2015, 09:32 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
they don't have the uv protection... gotta buy goodyears
Just replace my "badyears" with Firestone FS 591s. Will never buy another Goodyear due to the rivering issue.

Ya I know some of you will bad mouth the Firestones but that was before Bridgestone bought them out of bankruptcy. Firestone and Bridgestone tires are made in America in the same plant.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:22 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This has been an incredibly enlightening conversation; thank you, everyone!

I understand the position that long-haul tires will work on an RV... maybe just as well, maybe not quite as well, but they'll be safe and they'll work. I get that. My one and only concern about that point is: if they'd work so well, why is there zero mention of this particular brand being mounted on RV's anywhere on the internet? Maybe they're new, maybe they aren't recommended.... I dunno. All I know is that I'm not going to be the guinnea pig

But I really DO like the idea of mounting them on the TAG. That's a very interesting idea. Still, even the manufacturer acknowledges these tires are their "value" line, and it doesn't take a genius to figure out what that means.

The bottom line is that I'm not trying to buy a bargain rig, so I'm not interested in riding on bargain tires. I'm happy to pay more for comfort and peace of mind.

This forum rocks because of contributors like you guys! Thanks everyone!

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryly Blithe View Post
This has been an incredibly enlightening conversation; thank you, everyone!

I understand the position that long-haul tires will work on an RV... maybe just as well, maybe not quite as well, but they'll be safe and they'll work. I get that. My one and only concern about that point is: if they'd work so well, why is there zero mention of this particular brand being mounted on RV's anywhere on the internet? Maybe they're new, maybe they aren't recommended.... I dunno. All I know is that I'm not going to be the guinnea pig

But I really DO like the idea of mounting them on the TAG. That's a very interesting idea. Still, even the manufacturer acknowledges these tires are their "value" line, and it doesn't take a genius to figure out what that means.

The bottom line is that I'm not trying to buy a bargain rig, so I'm not interested in riding on bargain tires. I'm happy to pay more for comfort and peace of mind.

This forum rocks because of contributors like you guys! Thanks everyone!
tell them you don't trust or want the tires
Old 02-20-2015, 10:19 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
again the difference is the uv protection and on most the tread pattern

big rig tires ride crappy on motorhomes because they have side wall protection.. made for jumping curbs... they also have a different outer tread that resist tire peeling...

if you put rv tires on a big rig trailer you will peel that outer tread off like and orange peel..

you can put big rig tires on an rv// ride like crap and the tread will way out last the casings...

common for goodyears to go 2 or 3 years longer than Michelin on the casings
How many truck tires have you personally tried on a motorhome. And how many rv tires have you tried on a long haul trailer.

A company I worked for used aged out rv tires on the booster axles of their mixer trucks and I seen 0 problems with that. Those tires often get scuffed and abused hence put on something cheaper aka used rv tires.

I just installed a set of 11r 22.5 firestone 16 ply 561 tires on my coach. I just drove 1500 miles on them and it rides like a dream and is quieter than the Goodyear rv tires I took off. I had good luck with the Goodyear tires but would not pay the premium to replace them. I drove for a living for 35 years and have worn out alot of tires over the years.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:53 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
How many truck tires have you personally tried on a motorhome. And how many rv tires have you tried on a long haul trailer.

A company I worked for used aged out rv tires on the booster axles of their mixer trucks and I seen 0 problems with that. Those tires often get scuffed and abused hence put on something cheaper aka used rv tires.

I just installed a set of 11r 22.5 firestone 16 ply 561 tires on my coach. I just drove 1500 miles on them and it rides like a dream and is quieter than the Goodyear rv tires I took off. I had good luck with the Goodyear tires but would not pay the premium to replace them. I drove for a living for 35 years and have worn out alot of tires over the years.
Exactly!! X-2!! Rail!
Old 02-21-2015, 03:38 AM   #27

Damon Owners Club
I have the Dynacargo Y201's on my 38' class A. I bought it used over a year ago and new nothing about RV's. I had the dealer replace the tires as part of the sale since it was a 2008 model with original tires and they put the Dynacargo Y201 tires on. Since this is my first and only Motorhome or camper of any type I have nothing to compare it to but I have no issues with the tires. I have no plans to change the tires just for the heck of it until they reach the 10 years or less limit.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:40 AM   #28

Truck or RV Tires

I run Truck Tires on my RV...

They seem to run just fine.....

Hualin the load, down the line.......