Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2015, 05:36 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Just replace my "badyears" with Firestone FS 591s. Will never buy another Goodyear due to the rivering issue.

Ya I know some of you will bad mouth the Firestones but that was before Bridgestone bought them out of bankruptcy. Firestone and Bridgestone tires are made in America in the same plant.
Bridgestone has had some of the same problems as the previous owners of the Firestone brand. They purchased Firestone in 1988. They've had major tire recalls in 1988. 2000, 2012, and again in 2014. Not such a great track record.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2015, 08:26 AM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Then why do Michelin RV tires crack so bad?
That one I can answer,, What protects your skin from cracking? Answer, Body oils, secreted by your body as you move about.

What protects the tire from cracking? Same thing, essential oils that are inufused in the rubber and which are brought to the surface by moving (rolling, rolling rolling down the highway).

You park for six months at a time, they gonna crack

Mine show about a year or twos worth of crazing (not really cracking) and .... are 10 years old. Once I get the funds for a new engine (They will soon start crackign big time) I will replace the tires as well.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:03 AM   #31

What does your owner's manual say. Mine says, This motor home uses truck tires.

Maybe Goodyear and Michelin wasn't telling everyone you need RV tires back then. They found out a way to make more money.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:10 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modela View Post
What does your owner's manual say. Mine says, This motor home uses truck tires.

Maybe Goodyear and Michelin wasn't telling everyone you need RV tires back then. They found out a way to make more money.

There are only two RV specific tires marketed, the Michelin XRV and the Goodyear G670. Both have had issues over their lifetime. These two are, of course, based on all position commercial tires.

Rather than fixate on finding an RV specific tire, there are many more choices available when looking for a long distance and regional all position tire.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:54 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Bridgestone has had some of the same problems as the previous owners of the Firestone brand. They purchased Firestone in 1988. They've had major tire recalls in 1988. 2000, 2012, and again in 2014. Not such a great track record.
In all my searches I find no instance of an Firestone Truck/RV tires being recalled or any of their tires made in the US being recalled.
bdpreece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:09 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sorry everyone, I didn't mean to start another Goodyear / Michelin / Bridgestone / Firestone debate. I knew it was a risk, but...

In an effort to swing this conversation back around to the original topic, HDZCAR said s/he has Dynacargo Y201's on their Class A, which is the first I have ever heard anyone mention that brand in relation to RV's since a used RV salesman told me about them a week ago.

I can't find one search result for mounting that brand on any RV - not on this forum, Google or Bing. The manufacturer (SHAANXI YANCHANG PETROLEUM GROUP RUBBERCO., LTD.) doesn't mention it; the tire dealers that carry Dynacargo don't mention it... nowhere can I find anyone who recommends or even suggests that Dynacargo should or could be mounted on an RV with the exception of used RV dealers who are trying to save a few bucks on replacement tires.

And that's my biggest concern. I can swap out the tires, no problem, but I question the integrity of a used RV dealership that would mount "value line" (as TBC describes them, re: cheap) non-RV tires instead of a brand that's recommended for RV's. I know, it's weird to see "used RV dealer" and "integrity" in the same sentence, but one can always hope

HDZCAR, I'm glad they're working out for you, and I hope you get all 10 years out of them.

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #35

Damon Owners Club
Wryly Blithe, I guess I'll find out 9 yrs from now assuming I still have the same coach.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:41 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
In my opinion any differences between "long haul truck tires" and "RV tires" is vastly over rated. All modern tires have UV protection, though RV-specific tires may have some extra. And the ride quality is little, if any different. Consider that Michelin designates several of their major tire models (XZE, XZA, XPS, XZA2, etc.) as RV tires, but those are the very same models are sold for truck and bus applications as well. Nothing unique to RVs about them. Smae UV and same ride characteristics, regardless of where they are installed.

I've been running Continental HSR2 "truck tires" on the rear of my coach for nearly three years now and cannot detect any difference in ride or handling vs the former GY G670 "RV tire". It was pretty easy to detect the almost $300/tire price difference, though.

Long haul truck tires do sometimes use a harder rubber compound to increase tread life. That's more likely to affect traction than ride, though. Ride is affected mostly by the air pressure (psi) and maybe sidewall design. Most tire manufactures recommend what they call their "regional delivery" tire for RVs use, since the applications are most similar.
I'm beginning to think the same way as you. Today I got an add from Camping World, they are now selling Samson 22.5" tires, in addition to Goodyear.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:33 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I'm beginning to think the same way as you. Today I got an add from Camping World, they are now selling Samson 22.5" tires, in addition to Goodyear.
you have a Spartan chassis ... you could just run on the rims and be smoother than a freightliner..
Old 02-24-2015, 02:24 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
My biggest concern, rather than price, is performance and then, ride. How good is its traction in the wet. What speed does it hydroplane at? How well does it track steering inputs? Lower pressures and soft sidewalls add to the problem of steering response. I imagine that any tire will do at 50mph on a dry warm day. Accurate test data isn't available like passenger car tire, that I can find. While anecdotal reports are data points, they all have built in bias.

I've had good service from the Toyo's the dealer put on, although they used a barely adequate load range. The ride has been a bit harsh as a result. My personal experience in smaller tires is that Michelins are best, overall. A friend who owned a trucking business echoes that. I am due for steer tires and will try the Michelins.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:19 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Tire ride is mainly a function of tire pressure matched to the load. If you pump up your wonderful RV tires to the placard limit, you will give your suspension a workout and you rig a tough ride. If you load your rig and weigh the axles seperately, enter the chart for the appropriate pressure and keep this pressure, you can get a decent ride out of nearly any tire.
Am I the only one who wants to know the date code on these new tires? Tire dealers can sell you a "new" tire with a 4 year old date code on it. That's an old tire and I don't care if they put it on yesterday. Next to size and load rating, the date code is the most important, but most overlooked, info on the tire.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:46 PM   #40

Wryly Blythe,

There have been lots of inputs on various tires and the DynoCargo tires, in particular. The salesman MAY have said DynaTrac tires.

I have 245/70R19.5 DynaTracs on my 20500# GVWR Class A National. The tires were installed by the previous owner about 4-5 years ago. They seem to ride pretty rough, but since is my first Class A rig, I don't have much to compare with.

When I Google search them, I get quite a few dealers that still sell them in this rim size and 22.5". Other search results are from this forum and other RV forums. Most of the RV forum dates were from 2010-2012, and very little posting as of late.

regards,
Karl
Karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:26 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
We just bought a 2006 40Dp with 10 yo tires on it, original equip Goodyears. The motorhome was originally sold in Oct of 08, and had 15,000 miles on it, but the tires were stilll 10 yo. They Gone. Replacing them with Goodyears-- 7000 bux. Replaced them with Hercules H-902 of the same size and load rating-- 2200 samoles. The ride is fabulous, and the 4800 clams in my pocket feel real good. We'll see how they wear, but I can buy two more sets and still be money ahead.
And they put balance beads in them -- never heard of this! Pretty cool tho', they never have to be rebalanced.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:32 PM   #42

I'll take a firmer ride caused by sturdier tires that dont explode in use over blow outs from mushy RV tires any day. I will never by RV specific tires.