Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2015, 06:14 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ok, so... what am I missing about tire?

In opening negotiations with a salesman (who's been really excellent so far) and I bring up tires. He says the steering axle tires were replaced in 2014. I ask "Which brand?" and he says "Dynacraft."

I'd never heard of them, but it sounded like a tire company name so I let it go until later when I tried to look them up on the internet.

No matter what I search for, the only thing that comes up "Dynacraft" and "tires" refers to kids bicycles. I saw one entry where "Dynacraft" was associated with truck parts, so I opened the link and it took me to a site with Kenworth / Petersen parts, but no tires.

So, what am I missing? Am I just spelling it wrong? Is "Dynacraft" some kind of insider nickname for a brand, or a Chinese tire or... maybe the salesman was "confused?" (Imagine that!?!)

Thanks all!

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2015, 06:19 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
How about DynaCargo?
Old 02-18-2015, 06:36 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
OK, which RV manufacturer are we talking about, and what tires did the dealer remove? DynaCargo are long haul truck tires and would seem to be an overkill for RV's.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
OK, which RV manufacturer are we talking about, and what tires did the dealer remove? DynaCargo are long haul truck tires and would seem to be an overkill for RV's.

Fred
They would also give a rougher ride than an RV tire.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:41 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
See? That's why I'm a member of IRV2.com Dynacargo pops right up.

hdzcar, well done. Thank you!

Still never heard of them, but at least now I know where to look.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:44 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Fred and Crasher, I think you're right: I've just taken a few quick looks at the site for Dynacargo, and I'm not terribly impressed. I'm sure they're great long-haul tires, but I'm dubious as to the ride in an RV.

I'm guessing that when I look up prices that they're pretty "reasonable" compared to the more common RV brands. We'll see...

Thanks everyone!

Old 02-18-2015, 06:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryly Blithe View Post
Fred and Crasher, I think you're right: I've just taken a few quick looks at the site for Dynacargo, and I'm not terribly impressed. I'm sure they're great long-haul tires, but I'm dubious as to the ride in an RV.

I'm guessing that when I look up prices that they're pretty "reasonable" compared to the more common RV brands. We'll see...

Thanks everyone!
the reason for rv tires is uv pro tection... they are in service way longer and tend to crack ...
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:57 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
the reason for rv tires is uv pro tection... they are in service way longer and tend to crack ...
Then why do Michelin RV tires crack so bad?
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:06 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The issue is that it doesn't look like Dynacargo are RV tires, they're long-haul truck tires. I, like Fred and Crusher, am concerned that the ride will be unnecessarily harsh because they're designed to carry much heavier loads.

Another big clue is if you search IRV2 for "Dynacargo," this thread is the only one that pops up. That no one has ever asked about or even mentioned these tires before is pretty damning evidence that they have no business on an RV.

Bottom line: if I buy this rig I'll be replacing all 8 tires, no matter how new the front ones are

Thanks everyone!

Old 02-19-2015, 03:22 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I'd want to personally eyeball the tires myself.... Salesman may be completely wrong about the brand.
Bigdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:03 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Just because they are for a truck and heavy loads does not mean you can't get your moneys worth out of them? Drop the pressure down, and run them, unless you can get a decent trade in for them! I would not be concerned, as a lot of truck tires are used on RV's. But it is yours to do with what you want! Rail!
Old 02-19-2015, 08:40 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

In my opinion any differences between "long haul truck tires" and "RV tires" is vastly over rated. All modern tires have UV protection, though RV-specific tires may have some extra. And the ride quality is little, if any different. Consider that Michelin designates several of their major tire models (XZE, XZA, XPS, XZA2, etc.) as RV tires, but those are the very same models are sold for truck and bus applications as well. Nothing unique to RVs about them. Smae UV and same ride characteristics, regardless of where they are installed.

I've been running Continental HSR2 "truck tires" on the rear of my coach for nearly three years now and cannot detect any difference in ride or handling vs the former GY G670 "RV tire". It was pretty easy to detect the almost $300/tire price difference, though.

Long haul truck tires do sometimes use a harder rubber compound to increase tread life. That's more likely to affect traction than ride, though. Ride is affected mostly by the air pressure (psi) and maybe sidewall design. Most tire manufactures recommend what they call their "regional delivery" tire for RVs use, since the applications are most similar.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:51 AM   #13

I usually don't get involved in discussions like this. Everyone has their opinion and I respect that.
I am a old truck driver. You can't compare a large truck to a RV. A 18 wheeler has larger springs than a RV. But you can use some of the smaller ply truck tires on you RV. Most people put a tire on their RV that is design to carry a heavy load and they think they are getting a better tire when they get the 16 ply. When they do, they get a rough ride. Most RV's can safety get by with 14 ply and some of the smaller ones can use 12 ply. Sure the dealer wants to sell you the 16 ply, because they cost more. Look up and see what weight each ply rating will take.

Just make sure you are getting a steering tire. There is a difference between a steering tire and a pulling tire that goes on trucks.

One more thing. In my opinion the only thing difference between a truck tire and a RV tire is the price.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Then why do Michelin RV tires crack so bad?
they don't have the uv protection... gotta buy goodyears
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote