Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #1

Question Ok to keep plugged in at home?

I have the advantage of storing my motorhome at home. We live in a very hot climate where summer temperature average between 95 and 100 during the day. My motorhome has a thermostat controlled exhaust fan. Will it hurt anything to leave it plugged in and set the exhaust fan to 85 to try to keep the interior somewhat cool? The fan runs in the afternoon and evening but usually shuts off at night. I don't want to srew up my batteries or anything else for that matter!
ronyrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It is fine to keep it plugged in all the time. Just keep an eye on the water in the batteries and replace as needed (unless they are the sealed type).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The answer to your question is found in your converter.. There are basically 2 types of converters

I have a Progressive Dynamics 9180 with wizard, this is a top quality 3-stage converter, it babies my batteries, and as a result I need to water them lke.. once a year or so.

Some RV's have a low end single stage converter which takes a long time to charge up the house batteries.... but never quits charging and as a result once they are full up it keeps on pumping in power and boils them dry in as little as a week

So, tell us what you have for a converter.

And we will tell you if you can leave it plugged in.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As a standard practice you should be checking the water (distilled) level in your batteries at least every three months if you leave it plugged in.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:30 PM   #5

My experience is that no matter the price paid for your coach it will most likely have a very poor converter installed that will ruin your batteries. If you do not have a 3 or 4 stage charger or a converter that requires a pendant to obtain 3 stage charging leaving your rig plugged in will boil your batteries dry. I like both the Iota converters and the Progressive Dynamics converters.and they both are widely available. Check your converter.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:53 PM   #6

My 2004 DSDP is always plugged in when it is next to the house. Been doing it for 5-1/2 years, still using the original house batteries.
Tom

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:21 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Stupid question but how can you tell what type converter you have?
Old 07-15-2009, 06:12 PM   #8

Not a stupid question at all. I need to ask the same thing!

Help us out please!
ronyrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:42 PM   #9

Find your existing converter wherever it's hiding, in a cabinet or in storage areas, and look at the label then look it up on line or, if you are organized, find all your original paperwork that came with your rig and read the flyer labeled converter. Some are a fuse center and converter combined. Any converter made that's older then about 5 years or so probably will not be multi stage.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 07-15-2009, 07:09 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller View Post
Find your existing converter wherever it's hiding, in a cabinet or in storage areas, and look at the label then look it up on line or, if you are organized, find all your original paperwork that came with your rig and read the flyer labeled converter. -Paul R. Haller-
That's sound advise, that's exactly what I did this past spring. Unfortunately, if it is the original equipment that came with your coach like mine was, it's the POS (piece of crap) model like I had.

The good news is, you can now get exactly what you really want, and justify it to the family bean counter as an investment that will ultimately save money in the long run if you both live that long.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:41 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller View Post
My experience is that no matter the price paid for your coach it will most likely have a very poor converter installed that will ruin your batteries.
Actually, one of the selling points when we bought our RV new was the quality of components used. The OEM converter was a Progressive Dynamics Intellipower 9180. I did have to add the Charge Wizard, however.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:08 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see this question all the time.. I will post two examples and the answers that go with them:

First a question: WHAT MAKE AND MODEL OF CONVERTER do you have?

Now the answers

If it is an older single stage converter/charger/battery killer such as the Magnetek 6300 series.. DO Not leave it plugged in full time till you replace with a newer 3-stage box. (and do please replace it)

If it's a newer 3-stage such as the Progressive Dynamics 9200, or 9100 with wizard, or .. Well it is a very long list. By all means

I have a 9180 with wizard (Why I choose PD as the example) and leave mine plugged in at least 50 weeks out of the year (The other two I'm boondocking) and I do admit I need to add distilled water to may batteries from time to time... About once a year

Some of those battery killers can boil 'em dry in a week,,,, Takes my PD a year, actually over a year (I've gone 14 months)
Old 07-16-2009, 01:33 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Found my converter under my kitchen drawers. It's a Parallox7455. Looked it up on the Internet and it looks to be top of the line for them.

It does caution to check batteries often to prevent overcharging, which leads me to ask the question: why don't they cut off the charge until the batteries call for it?

Inquiring minds.....
Old 07-16-2009, 02:38 PM   #14

I looked up your converter also.(Parallax 7455) It says that it is a 2 stage charging system "optional". I guess that means you'll need a charge wizard pendant or something like that. If it's plain stock it will have only a single charge system in place and it will overcharge your batteries. That's why they recommend checking the batteries frequently. Call Parallax and talk to them directly and ask about customizing your converter to provide 2 stage charging.
-Paul R. Haller-