Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2015, 03:11 PM   #15

Glad we have 'em

Before each trip we check our tire pressure. We have had RV's before, but this was our first motorhome. It was my turn to drive our 40' Phaeton, was driving for about 45min, right front tire blowout. I forgot about "giving it gas" for a blowout, just took my foot off the gas, let the coach slow down, slowly pulled off the road. Despite major vibration, I had no trouble steering the coach, tire was still on the rim, absolutely no body damage. I've read horrible stories about loss of control with a tire blowout, because of the bands that was not the case. GLAD WE HAVE THEM.

J&K from Maryland
2010 Tiffin Phaeton 40' QTH

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2015, 05:48 PM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Guys.....the Tyron bands DO NOT prevent blowouts and do NOTHING as you slow down the coach. Their only job is to keep the tire from coming off the rim. The only way this happens is to continue to drive after the blowout. How many times have you seen a tire on a motor home or any vehicle for that matter, come completely off the rim.....it's VERY rare.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:43 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Don..... do you use them?

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:42 AM   #18

With all due respect Don, no, the bands do not prevent a blowout, and I may not be an expert, but I have experienced a blowout in a very large class A, have you? I have seen the body damage done to RV's after a tire blowout due to the tire flopping off the rim. And when instructed by Lazydays in Fla how to handle motorhome after blowout they tell you to accelerate to gain/keep control, so that does suggest it will be difficult to steer. The tire remained on the rim, I had no difficulty steering, and no body damage. That's what they were designed to do and once again I'm GLAD I HAD THEM!!
Old 04-12-2015, 02:05 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Papa Jim".....No I don't use them. I don't think there is really a need for them...just my opinion.

"Beaner89"....If you had the opportunity to read through the entire post, you would have read the part where I assisted in the demonstration of the Tyron band products. My Department also bought thousands of them and eventually quit using them. No I haven't had a blowout on a motor home, but I did blow apart the tires during the demonstration. You're describing two different things. You had a blow out where you're tire went immediately flat, stayed intact and you carefully maneuvered it to a safe stop. The instances where you're describing damage to an RV are COMPLETELY different. In those cases the tire came apart, (such as in "Gators" seen on the roadway) That's when a tire zippers or explodes and sends shrapnel everywhere. About the only time you see this type of damage anymore is on coaches running some of the older Michellins and people who just kept driving after a flat/blowout. Even then, that damage was generally on a rear tire, not a front steer!

The Tyron unit does nothing to stop that blowout and the disintegration of the tire. It ONLY prevents the tire beads from coming off of the rim. During the testing, we literally ran tires on the test vehicles do to where all was left were the beads on the rims, no tire, no sidewall, just beads. So yes, I am an expert when it comes to this!
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:36 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
So, for the sake of argument, if the Tyron band prevents the tire beads from coming off of the rim, couldn't that make the difference between life and death in the case of a sudden tire blowout?

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:04 PM   #21

I have a set of Tyrons (purchased by the prior owner) sitting in my garage. Tire dealers don't want to touch them (due to inflated liability concerns, but that's the way it is these days) and they generally are a PITA when it comes to tire service. To me, not worth the hassle for the one in a thousand chance they might actually make a difference (as noted above, completely losing a tire from a rim is very rare.) In my book they are primarily more a high-profit dealer add-on than anything else.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:45 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I have blown many tires on trucks and trailers that I have operated. On a trailer or even a dual wheel you can sometimes run for miles to get to a tire shop to get it fixed without having it come off the wheel.
Other times the tire completely blows apart and pieces fly everywhere.
Tyrons won't help one bit in keeping the tire from doing damage to your coach. If it blows apart there will be damage before you get stopped.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:35 AM   #23

Jim, our tire did "blowout" there was a big hole on the inside wall. I have seen body damage from people who have had blowouts and made it to the campground AFTER tire changed on the road. When chatting with them it was due to the tire flopping around. Our tire was obviously completely flat, no part of the rim was touching the ground, no body damage. Even the guy that came to replace the tire on the side of I95 was surprised we had no body damage.
And as a new motorhome driver I had no trouble controlling the coach after the blowout which is a major issue when this occurs. Ask a reputable company that repairs motorhome body damage.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:30 PM   #24

But you have no idea whether the Tyron played any significant part, other than believing 'it might have.'
Old 04-13-2015, 07:29 PM   #25

Got them and moved them to a different Motor Home with no issue, I like the piece of mind they give me, and called Michlin, no issue with tire warranty
Old 04-14-2015, 07:56 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lault View Post
Got them and moved them to a different Motor Home with no issue, I like the piece of mind they give me, and called Michlin, no issue with tire warranty
X2 you know what they say about perception being reality.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:41 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
But you have no idea whether the Tyron played any significant part, other than believing 'it might have.'
Quote:
Originally Posted by loisjop View Post
X2 you know what they say about perception being reality.

BTW, I have a pair of "deer whistles" which I know work.
I've carried them in them in the glove compartment of my toad for years and I've never hit a deer.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 04-14-2015, 12:40 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post

BTW, I have a pair of "deer whistles" which I know work.
I've carried them in them in the glove compartment of my toad for years and I've never hit a deer.
Mel
'96 Safari
I have a GPS in the glove box and never get lost, everyone tells me where to go