Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2007, 11:14 AM   #1

So as not to hi-jack the other Gasoline thread, let's spin this around.
I'm sure this has been talked about before (probably last year prior to Memorial Day). But right now, today, what would it take to park your baby? How high would fuel (gas or diesel) have to get?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2007, 11:14 AM   #2

I'm sure this has been talked about before (probably last year prior to Memorial Day). But right now, today, what would it take to park your baby? How high would fuel (gas or diesel) have to get?

Old 05-15-2007, 12:40 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm not sure that the answer to your question is as simple as the price of fuel.
1. We've already paid $3.39 for diesel last year on a trip.
2. At $4.00, 3,000 miles for us would be $1,200 (10mpg), 4K miles would be $1,600.
By that point, we would probably limit our travels to around 4K miles per year
3. At $5.00 those same miles would be $1,500 and $2,000.
Instead of longer trips, we would stay near our home - and expect to have many of the campgrounds to ourselves because others would have already parked.
4. At $6.00 - the inflation rate for everything else is going to be so blasted high because of the costs of trucking that the economy will go into a tailspin, everyone will stop buying gas and fuel and the prices will drop like a rock.

Just my $.02.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:57 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Hmmmmm, I could plant flowers all around the tires and put a statue on the roof...but seriously, for as many miles as I put on the MH yearly, $4 would make me uncomfortable, but it wouldn't be unthinkable.
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:49 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">$4 would make me uncomfortable, but it wouldn't be unthinkable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At $3.47 in our area right now, we are already uncomfortable. At $4.00+ we will probably park the MH as the cost is just getting too high for us on a fixed income.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:02 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't think high gasoline prices would ever make me stop using our rv. We already have a lot of money invested in it and the cost of operating it is small in comparison, since we only drive it when using it. Now, how higher gas prices would effect our driving our everyday vehicles is a different story. We already spend a lot more money on fuel just to go back and forth to work and shopping than we do for rving. We would probably park our truck and suv ( my and my wifes vehicles ) and take up ride sharing or bicycling to get to work and use the savings to keep on rving!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:44 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Farmerjones:
I'm sure this has been talked about before (probably last year prior to Memorial Day). But right now, today, what would it take to park your baby? How high would fuel (gas or diesel) have to get? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As the price of gasoline jumps so does the cost of airfare and all other forms of travel. When it becomes cheaper to travel by jet, stay in hotels and eat in restarants all the time when on vacation I will consider taking the RV off the road.

Our last trip we priced it both ways and estimated $1500 for a ten day trip for a family of four along with the dog and cat while air travel, hotels, eating out, boarding the animals would have cost four times as much. We actually spent $1600. A couple that met us at our destination flew up and stayed at a hotel spending around $3000 for a three day weekend.

I even considered traveling by minivan but they realistically get 20 MPG when fully loaded for travel which is about twice what I get the way I drive my MotorHome. So a trip that cost me $1000 for fuel in the MotorHome would cost $500 in the van along with the average of $150 a night for two hotel rooms for the family so a ten day trip by minivan would cost $2000 not counting eating out. I have a ThousandTrails national membership so campground fees are usualy non-existant or at worst $15 a night if I stay at participating parks.

So it is hard to put down a hard line dollar amount and leave it to, as long as RV travel remains cheaper then other forms I will continue to keep it on the road.

Even if it breaks even I may continue to sleep in my own bed and eat my own food that never makes me feel ill and stay with the MotorHome.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:45 AM   #8

It's not the cost of fuel (we're diesel--which was MUCH higher last year than gasoline) that will keep our RV parked...it's the cost of camping. We use our RV as a 'home base' while living and working in Colorado for the summer. The place where we stay (which is the ONLY campground with hookups (which we need for our 2 dogs) within a 60 mile radius of where we work) has increased it's price 80% from last year. If they increase it like that again next year, it won't be cost efficient to utilze the RV as our 'part time home.' It's almost to the point where it would be cheaper to get an 'extended stay' hotel room and sell the RV.

glfprncs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:48 AM   #9

After sleeping on it, this is my take:A gallon of gas has not improved it's worth. In fact with ethanol it gets poorer mileage (less BTUs)than before. So essentially my dollars are getting more worthless when prices go up. I suppose i may hang it up when they start printing dollars on rolls like TP.
This happens every year, prior to Memorial Day. And every year we dream of somehow sticking it to the oil kings. I hope i live long enough to see it happen.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:02 AM   #10

Not sure I can answer this for certain.
We do plan on taking shorter trips and staying longer to make it worth the while.
In 2005, I cancelled a trip to San Antonio due to gas prices. In 2006 they were back up and I said to heck with it and we went anyway. Not getting any younger.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:38 PM   #11

The price of gas will not make us to stop using my motorhome nor the price of campgrounds.

We would just have to adjust. Drove slower, not as many miles/year. Cheaper campgrounds, more drycamping, not eating out as much, etc.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:16 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I wish our Canadian gallon was only 4 dollars . But then again we do most of our travelling in the States.

Steve
Old 05-23-2007, 02:29 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
I have factored in my cost of owning my unit. I dont like the prices, but I'm going to travel anyway. The cost of fuel as some have said can be offset by a change of habits. I'm still using the same budget I have for my cars. Just don't drive a lot of un-necessary trips. If you accept a value, say $2.00 you were willing to pay anyway, and calculate ALL the costs of owning your rig, then doubling the gas rate really isn't going to make that much difference in the grand plan. enjoy life, help someone if you can, and let God make all the important decisions, and if you gotta, just drive a little less, you won't be stressed out so much.

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:19 AM   #14
paz

We're full-timers, so it will take a lot to make us park permanently. We are moving a little less often, driving a little slower, and traveling shorter distances. This not only helps with fuel expenses, but also with campground expenses. By staying in one place longer, we can get weekly or monthly rates at a lot of cambgrounds. The slower pace also reduces stress.

Still, there are lots of things and places we want to see and they won't come to us. Therefore, we will continue on our way even if it's at a little slower pace.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote