Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2011, 08:20 PM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I was using Mothers and their Powerball, but the Powerball didn't hold up well and was only good for two polishing sessions.

While at Quartzsite I bought a can of Flitz and a new buffer (similar to the Powerball), but it uses short pieces of yellow cloth (I don't know the name). You can buff against rough edges all day without tearing up the buffer. I bought a large and small.

I just replaced my rear tires and discarded my valve stem hoses and converted to a long stem and and turned the outer dual stem outward.
Rear Wheel Tire Valve Extensions (Hoses)

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2011, 09:40 PM   #16

Well Gents,
As I stated earlier, I've not owned many clear coated wheels on my vehicles. Regardless of what Accuride said, these are NOT CLEAR COATED!!!!!!!! And yes, they are stamped "Accuride" on them along with all the nomenclature about loading, psi, etc. I know exactly what clear coat is and what it takes to get it off. 99.9999999% of the time, a polish, or paste will NOT take the clear coat off. Those clear coats of today are mostly of a Polyurethane base and are extremely durable. No slight "Polishing" is going to take it off. Especially if you're doing the wheels by hand, like I do. I used no machine on the wheels in the pictues with the exception of my motorcycle wheels.

Semi-Chrome and Mothers is not a "heavy" abrasive, it's a fine, almost runny paste that's forulated for high luster and sheen. There are "cutting" pastes, clay or solid bars etc that are formulated for removing super heavy oxidation and aluminum oxide and the use of a machine is recommended for that proceedure. Mine were done with my finger tips only. You can't remove clear coat with finger tips.

It doesn't take long to figure out if a wheels clear coated or not. About 5-10 seconds of using what ever compound your attempting to use on them and no "Blackening" of the cloth, yep, it's clear coated. And, as many have stated here on this post/thread, they've polished their wheels too and no one's mentioned anything about "removing" the clear coat.

Every single wheel, aluminum ones that is, that we purchased with and for our Fire trucks were NOT clear coated. At last count,(before I retired,) we had 45 new Pierce Engines, 10 new Pierce 105' Aerial Trucks, 2 Rescue units, 1 Hazmat unit and one Bomb unit, all with either Alcoa or Accuride wheels. None of them were clear coated. I know because I received and outfitted 99.9 % of those rigs. Yes, you could order them with a clear coat, we didn't.

When on duty, I polished many of those wheels and went through many tubes of "Wenol" doing it. And, like stated, once a wheel's in that perfect condition of being as shiny as possible, yes you will get some water stains on them but, it comes right off. A simple spray of a vinegar/water mix in a spray bottle dissolves all that. No one's debating the validity of or, durability or, value of a clear coat, all I'm saying is I know mine didn't come with it and, apparently many others here don't have it on theirs too.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:56 PM   #17

Dude

I've used wenol .both the the red tube and blue tube.it's good stuff but please try zephyr pro 40 . Google it. I found the best price is Costco online 24 dollars for 2 bottles. It blows wenol away and is very easy to use.better yet use it with viva paper towels and it works even better
Old 05-31-2011, 09:59 PM   #18

Scott
You are exactly right, a normal polishing will NOT remove the clear coat from an Accuride wheel. Some years ago I purchased an older coach that had clear coated Accuride wheels, and the clear coat was beginning to flake off. The wheels looked bad.
I decided to remove the remaining clear coat. It took several hours of work for each wheel using various solvents and very, very fine steel wool. Eventually removed all the clear coat, and then polished the bare aluminum. Wheels looked new.
Accuride makes wheels with clear coat and bare aluminum wheels. I have had both. I prefer the bare aluminum because of the outstanding appearance when polished. It's work, but there is a reward for your labor.
CarlGeo
Old 05-31-2011, 10:01 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

AS I stated before it would have Accu-Shield on the decal if it was clear coated and if it just says Accuride it is not clear coated. My MH wheels say Accu-Shield on the decal and not Accuride so I am never going to put a heavy abrasive metal polish on them and ruin them. I just don't want other MH owners that have Accu-Shield coated wheels ruining their wheels because of reading this thread and using the wrong polish. If you have uncoated wheels then good for you but for the benefit of all that read this on this forum they should understand the difference in the two types of wheels. I polish my coated wheels in accordance with the Accuride instructions I previously posted and they look great also. The coated Accu-Shield wheels if taken care of maintain their shine with little to no effort. I think your wheels look great and because they were uncoated probably really dulled due to oxidation.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:51 PM   #20

I have a quick question that is a little off the subject. My o8 Fleetwood has steel wheels with chrome beauty rings. Is there any place to find used alumi wheels at a good price like a truck salvage yard if there are any. Also would I see any benefit (improved ride,etc) to my cost and effort.
The polished wheels look great.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:23 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaride99 View Post
I have a quick question that is a little off the subject. My o8 Fleetwood has steel wheels with chrome beauty rings. Is there any place to find used alumi wheels at a good price like a truck salvage yard if there are any. Also would I see any benefit (improved ride,etc) to my cost and effort.
dynaride99,
When doing a feasibility study for a change to Alloy wheels for the fire department, we found several benefits for the change. One, they're considerably lighter. 2, at the time, based on an exact size wheel for wheel, they were "CHEAPER" and 3, they were able to support more weight. But, you know how government works, "you mean we're going to save money, Well, we'll have to see". They finally changed over to alloy wheels and, like stated, we then started ordering all our new fire equipment with alloy wheels. What a concept huh?

If you look on e-bay, there are a few sources for them. There's also "Motorhome" junk yards around the country. What you need is to locate one of those and see what they have to offer. There's deals out there if you're in the right place at the right time. When we were looking for a new coach, I was contemplating some really nice coaches with steel wheels so, I was looking for potential sources for those wheels. But to honestly answer your question if YOU will benefit from a change, I doubt you'd see any fuel economy improvement or REAL ride difference.

But, like many stated here, they sure look nice when done up right. Good luck.
Scott
Old 06-01-2011, 02:18 AM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaride99 View Post
I got my Alcoa's at a semi local truck wrecking yard for $150 each and 2 steel wheels to match for another $50 or so. Then I found a place to polish them for $40 each. BUT, if I had it to do over I'd get them from Fleetwheel and get their "Dually Conversion Kit" for $1,049.95 and hub covers. More expensive but a lot less trouble as I had to find hub covers and lug covers which wasn't easy.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:27 AM   #23

Kenworth VIT sleeper on a Peterbilt, nice rig!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #24

Thumbs up

If you use any alum. cleaner and the pad doesn't turn black, you have a clear coat.

With that said, I found the best and I mean the best Alum. polish and wax you can buy. Google "Busch Alum. cleaner" They are out of Statesville N.C. It's 2 parts, 1 the cleaner which you just wipe on no hard rubbing and 2 a wax that will stay on for over a year to protect.

I got it at bike week in Daytona about 2 years ago and polished my bike wheels with it. That was 2 years ago and they still look like new. It makes Alum. look like chrome. I've used all kinds of Alum. polish but it never seemed to last. This does.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:14 AM   #25

gto19,
Well Sir, I had the wife order some Zephyr 40 from Costco.com and it showed up a couple of days later. It's almost the exact same stuff as the "Haze to Amaze" that I'm running out of. I like it a lot. I also, in the mean time, purchased some Semichrome and it's identical to Wenol. A paste (almost runny) from a tube. I just for the heck of it, ordered up some "Ultra 6000" metal polish and cleaner and I'm not all that happy with it. The reason, it dries out way too fast. The liquid in it dries out "right now" while you're working the polish.

It's really a toss-up in terms of results for all the products I've got in front of me. I think to the naked eye, they're all very, very close. If you got some sort of special, technical camera that could look at the surface incredibly close, THEN you might see a difference. All of them instruct you to use a tiny amount when doing the application. Wenol, Semichrome, and two of the three liquids all stay wet enough to continue the polishing action for quite some time while the Ultra 6000 dries out within about 3+ seconds, which stops the polishing action. You have to re-wet the polish cloth.

Anyway, thanks for the nice comments from all and, thanks for the learning experience with other products and the info of "Accushield" too. Much appreciated
Scott
Old 06-05-2011, 12:19 AM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I tried Dri Wash N Guard Metal Polish. I have a lot of it around as I used to be a DWG distributor. It worked very well, then I put a coat of Mothers Wax on and it dulled the finish. Guess I'll do them again when I have a few minutes.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:43 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
If you use any alum. cleaner and the pad doesn't turn black, you have a clear coat.
At least according to the manual the wheels on my Knight are clear-coated, and I am not to use any abrasives of any kind on them, nothing that I wouldn't also use on the body of the coach or the hood of my car.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #28

Clear coated wheels are great......until they get attacked by little stones and sand from normal driving and then they look terrible. I agree they are a breeze to wash and so on. But for me, I'll take the extra pride and work for the luster and shine. It's a matter of opinion that's all.