Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2016, 05:54 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
OK, whose Class A is it?

Overturned RV closes section of Blue Ridge Parkway | WLOS

southernlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2016, 06:08 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
not a DP, check the ford and WH sections

Old 09-26-2016, 10:14 PM   #3

No idea who owns it besides a bank. The pictures show a poor decision by a cop; parking right next to the MH gas tank is a good way to lose a squad car.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:26 PM   #4

I am still trying to figure out how it happened. Its a right turn into a bank on a wet road, but no embankment on ether side. If it was a normal car I would say it came around on the driver and they over compensated causing it to swing back to the inside of the turn hit the grass and go out. But I have a really hard time seeing that happen on a rig like that ... and towing a car.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:31 PM   #5

No idea who owns it besides a bank. The pictures show a poor decision by a cop; parking right next to the MH gas tank is a good way to lose a squad car.

Not sure what you mean by that. What cop is parked by the gas tank? Are you referring to the toad that is still attached?

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:38 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy braden View Post
not a DP, check the ford and WH sections
I resemble that remark. But as has been said, my first thought was how the heck?
Old 09-26-2016, 10:51 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Drove on the Parkway in the Winnebago pulling a toad for about 5 hours in Late October 2009. Fall colors were gorgeous, wife really enjoyed the scenery. I had to concentrate on navigating the beast on the narrow windy road. I really enjoyed the stiff drink I had after pulling off the parkway.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:56 PM   #8

The driver was distracted by something maybe fall foliage or an animal. He/she left the road and over corrected trying to get back on the road and lost control. I watched the news on 2 different channels and one showed a wider view. You can see the tracks going off and attempting to get back on the road.

There was also a thunderstorm with high winds and torrential down pours.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickelhead View Post
The driver was distracted by something maybe fall foliage or an animal. He/she left the road and over corrected trying to get back on the road and lost control. I watched the news on 2 different channels and one showed a wider view. You can see the tracks going off and attempting to get back on the road.
That was my other thought. They swerved to the inside, caught the soft ground and the weight went over the center of gravity causing the tip. But I did not see the drag/dig marks. In a roll over like that there would be a big dig mark where the right front tire went in.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:03 PM   #10
IC2

Maybe it's the same character that tried to pass me in a NY I-88 construction zone in mid August and ended up with several traffic cones wadded up in his front suspension. Or maybe it was the one a couple weeks ago who decided to run up my RH side and try to cut me off in that well patrolled small NM town. I don't believe the police officer behind him in that 25 MPH zone was impressed with his driving skills

American drivers seem to be getting 'better' at self destruction
Old 09-27-2016, 04:52 PM   #11

A good dash cam can capture "memories" of your own and others driving skills.

I just don't have time to review the recently completed 520 mile trip with all the "memories" from motorcycles taking the exit from the inside lane at the last minute and cars/trucks trying to pass on the right as I was passing the big rig on the left (I was driving the speed limit + 2 or 3 mph).
Old 09-27-2016, 05:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRex45 View Post

Not sure what you mean by that. What cop is parked by the gas tank? Are you referring to the toad that is still attached?
The police car in the foreground, apparently parked about 20' from the back of the MH and 15' from the towed car.
The police car in the background is positioned correctly, blocking traffic and out of line with a gas vapor explosion.
Probably shouldn't have mentioned it, just the old long-dormant, first responder/firefighter re-surfacing.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:04 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe he tried to pull off to the side of the road and it just fell over. I don't see any skid marks and the toad is still behind it.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:22 PM   #14

There is a long mark in the grass. It appears he got off into the grass and tried to get back on the road but was he was uneven and possibly trying to make a turn and flipped over. You can't do swerving maneuvers in a motorhome.

twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a