Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2014, 10:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
ie2, thought I would throw in some info for you to roll around in your mind. To each their own, what works for some, does not work for others. Wanted to throw that out there just in case what I say is taken the wrong way.

We have 2 boys, 10 & 14. We do not full time in our RV, but we do take a month long trip every summer, so we spend a fair amount of continuous time in our RV.

I would not recommend a "Bunk House" floor plan to anyone. Its one of those things that seems like a great idea, but in reality its not. In every Bunk House floor plan I have seen, the bunks are right next to the Master Bed room. This is such a fail, that I can't believe every manufacture continues to build them this way.

IF you were just using Bunk House for a weekend, no problem, its all good. However, long term, no way. Some nights, kids are tired, and wiped out, so they crash early, great. But when you are wanting to lay in bed and watch TV for a little while, since the Bunks are right next to Master, it will keep them up, trust me. Vise verses, some nights you are wiped out, and crash early, well the kids are wide awake. So they lay in the Bunks playing on their tablets or whatever, usually fighting and arguing with each other, well guess what, since they are right next to you, they will keep you up.

Now if you decide some night that you want to get in some "Late Nigh Exercise", it is very awkward with your kids, basically right next to you.

Now I get there is this cheesy door that is supposed to work as a separation, but it does not provide any noise relief as far as I can tell.

This floor plan works well for us. Kids are up front, we are in the back, a little separation in when you are all trapped in a very small box to begin with.

Good Luck!

+4

This also steered us away from bunkhouses. Kids can stay up as late as they want sleeping on the couches out front while we are way back in the back.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
The floorplan in the Winnebago 39N works great for us. The bunks are near the Master Bedroom but has not been an issue whatsoever. Sometimes my two boys use the bunks, other times thay sleep in the main living area which has a 'scissor' fold out couch as well as another couch that electrically unfolds to a very comfortable queen sized bed. The dinette also converts to a small bed. At 40 feet there is plenty of room for everyone to be together - or be in their own seperate room or sleeping area wothout disturbing others. This model can sleep 8 to 10 depending on how many are children. Awesome, well thought out floorplan, IMO.

And I absolutely love driving a DP as opposed to the gas motorhomes we rented before purchasing this one. Quiet, comfort, power, and fuel economy!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
Yes, It is a SHORT list, and we have to give some things up, like a tag in MOST cases. I like the Fleetwood Products that have the bunk in the master closet, great for the little one. I also want to like the Charleston but after seeing more upgraded coaches I am not as impressed.

BTW, found the link to the NADA Guide, I am going to get them until we purchase to help track the prices.

https://www.nadaguidesstore.com/Stor...ppraisal-guide
Fleet wood products are inferior- poorly built and I guarantee you'll be repairing everything in a short period of time- holiday rambler -monaco-country coach - beaver-2006 thru 2008 - stick with these years and you won't regret it--$105,000-145-000 range- go to rvtrader site- private seller only
go49ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Check out the Tiffin Allegro RED. Our is the 38QBA and it a really nice coach. It has the bunk house beds with partitions to block out the noise and light. A 2 year old model should be easily in your price range. That's what we bought 2 years ago.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:23 AM   #19

The advice about the bunks being a problem due to sound is VERY good and you should really consider that. Also, I know somewhere on another thread you had mentioned having a teenager. I'm sure you have noticed this but the bunks are usually rather short.

Our Norcold Propane double door fridge is 15 years old and works great. I would still take a residential fridge in its place any day of the week. I haven't heard of any good arguments against the residential upgrade yet except perhaps in the case of serious boondockers.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:46 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
A lot of different points of view here, again we have had no issues from sound or livability with the bunk set up. Perhaps that is because we are in a larger 40 foot unit. But we can speak from experience with our set up.

Also, our bunk beds are very long. I am 6'2" and am comfortable lying in them myself. I suppose they are 76" long or so - maybe 80"? I've never measured them, but I have two teenage boys and we all have plenty of room. I have not seen another RV that has the living room setup we have and also bunks. We can all sit around the tv on the couches and look eye level at the Smasung HD tv with full surround sound and not have to look towards the cieling up front, or turn sideways, etc. In fact you can lower both couches and make one gigantic lounging/viewing area. Very homey and comfortable for movie night.

Good luck in your search, as you can see everyone has different priorities and likes/dislikes. You'll find what fits for you! Lots to consider.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
A lot of different points of view here, again we have had no issues from sound or livability with the bunk set up. Perhaps that is because we are in a larger 40 foot unit. But we can speak from experience with our set up.

Also, our bunk beds are very long. I am 6'2" and am comfortable lying in them myself. I suppose they are 76" long or so - maybe 80"? I've never measured them, but I have two teenage boys and we all have plenty of room. I have not seen another RV that has the living room setup we have and also bunks. We can all sit around the tv on the couches and look eye level at the Smasung HD tv with full surround sound and not have to look towards the cieling up front, or turn sideways, etc. In fact you can lower both couches and make one gigantic lounging/viewing area. Very homey and comfortable for movie night.

Good luck in your search, as you can see everyone has different priorities and likes/dislikes. You'll find what fits for you! Lots to consider.

Yours is definitely the exception and not the rule. The OP may want to look at that Winnie if they can find one in that case.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
My current line of thought (if you read my blog or my posts you know I am working every possible angle in my mind) is to get the DP, a couple year old, with bunks, a closet bunkroom, or a bunk over the cab. It needs to be under 35K miles and not feel cheap/flimsy. Oh, the hard part....under $150K Why not new? I love to save money and would like someone else to work all the bugs out for me I have found some for sure but I do not want to get hosed on a good price. If I were shopping for a car I would get the trade in value, NOT RETAIL, and work from that. NADA doesn't have them for RV's....how do I proceed, is there a way to get the values without calling my bank a million times?
For a little over $100 you can sign up for a years subscription to the same NADA quarterly price guides that the dealers and banks work from. Gives you a good ball park price.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote