Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2014, 03:38 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
OK, You have convinced me to look for something a couple of years old...

My current line of thought (if you read my blog or my posts you know I am working every possible angle in my mind) is to get the DP, a couple year old, with bunks, a closet bunkroom, or a bunk over the cab. It needs to be under 35K miles and not feel cheap/flimsy. Oh, the hard part....under $150K

Why not new? I love to save money and would like someone else to work all the bugs out for me

I have found some for sure but I do not want to get hosed on a good price. If I were shopping for a car I would get the trade in value, NOT RETAIL, and work from that. NADA doesn't have them for RV's....how do I proceed, is there a way to get the values without calling my bank a million times?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm going through a similar process right now in an attempt to figure our what my coach is worth to place it up for sale and prices are all over the map so it's like trying to nail grape jelly to the wall.

I've been doing internet searches to find similar coaches listed for sale nation wide to get a sense for what the market realistically is out there. PPL in Texas has a great website and shows their current listings as well as recent sales and it's a good resource.

In the end, it'll probably be like Olympic scoring and I'll throw out the high and the low and try to make sense of what's in between.

Happy Hunting.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:50 PM   #3

Consider a ShowHauler

Go to Big Power Coaches websie. They're in Hickory, NC.

They have a great Used ShowHauler, just came in.

Welcome to Racing Performance Motorcoaches

Good Luck

JohnnyB
brunsje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:06 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ie2special View Post
is there a way to get the values without calling my bank a million times?
Sure, invest in a NADA RV Appraisal Guide. It has Sugg. List(when new), Used Wholesale-Trade In and Used Retail columns = values are based on 'Ready For Resale condition'. Best (IIRC) $100 I spent while we were looking for our class A and always carried it with us. That guide got a few long looks from some of the dealers.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:49 PM   #5

The hard part, by far, is finding a DP with Bunks. They exist but are 5% of the coach's built. I have 2 kids (10/12) and decided I couldn't get exactly what I wanted with bunks. When supply is short (bunk floorplan) it can be tough to find a suitable unit and get a good deal.

My recommendation: Find THE model coach you want and then be willing to buy anywhere in the country to get exactly what you want.

Chris

Quote:
My current line of thought (if you read my blog or my posts you know I am working every possible angle in my mind) is to get the DP, a couple year old, with bunks, a closet bunkroom, or a bunk over the cab. It needs to be under 35K miles and not feel cheap/flimsy. Oh, the hard part....under $150K

Why not new? I love to save money and would like someone else to work all the bugs out for me

I have found some for sure but I do not want to get hosed on a good price. If I were shopping for a car I would get the trade in value, NOT RETAIL, and work from that. NADA doesn't have them for RV's....how do I proceed, is there a way to get the values without calling my bank a million times?
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:36 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
Yes, It is a SHORT list, and we have to give some things up, like a tag in MOST cases. I like the Fleetwood Products that have the bunk in the master closet, great for the little one. I also want to like the Charleston but after seeing more upgraded coaches I am not as impressed.

BTW, found the link to the NADA Guide, I am going to get them until we purchase to help track the prices.

https://www.nadaguidesstore.com/Stor...ppraisal-guide
Old 02-28-2014, 05:46 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
akeyzoo here are a few bunk bed options.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:51 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi ie2special,
Consider the following Newmar AllStar coaches:
07 3950 loft option
07 3951 loft option
4150 K075 Option

08 3950
08 4154

09 4154
09 4159

All can be purchased below $150K.

Try these links:

Family Friendly RV: 2007 Newmar All Star : Good Sam Camping Blog

There are more, Google "Newmar AllStar for sale".
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #9

Quote:
If I were shopping for a car I would get the trade in value, NOT RETAIL, and work from that. NADA doesn't have them for RV's....how do I proceed, is there a way to get the values without calling my bank a million times?
Actually, NADA does have trade values for RV's. It's just not posted for general consumption. If you know someone with a vehicle retailers license, ask them to look it up for you. I just went through this last summer when we traded up. Another option is to check with your bank or credit union to see if they have the print version. If they do, maybe they would allow you to use in their office. Some libraries used to have the print version also.

As far as calling your bank a million times goes, why not use the low retail to narrow your search? Then you can call the bank with a limited list to value.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:56 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
go to rv.org pay what they're asking it will be the best money you spend on your rv. Then when you've narrowed down what you want to look at go to oodle.com plug in what you're looking for check the right boxes and it will send you daily up dates.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:08 AM   #11

RV Prices, Values & Reviews - NADAguides
stumpnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:32 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
ie2, thought I would throw in some info for you to roll around in your mind. To each their own, what works for some, does not work for others. Wanted to throw that out there just in case what I say is taken the wrong way.

We have 2 boys, 10 & 14. We do not full time in our RV, but we do take a month long trip every summer, so we spend a fair amount of continuous time in our RV.

I would not recommend a "Bunk House" floor plan to anyone. Its one of those things that seems like a great idea, but in reality its not. In every Bunk House floor plan I have seen, the bunks are right next to the Master Bed room. This is such a fail, that I can't believe every manufacture continues to build them this way.

IF you were just using Bunk House for a weekend, no problem, its all good. However, long term, no way. Some nights, kids are tired, and wiped out, so they crash early, great. But when you are wanting to lay in bed and watch TV for a little while, since the Bunks are right next to Master, it will keep them up, trust me. Vise verses, some nights you are wiped out, and crash early, well the kids are wide awake. So they lay in the Bunks playing on their tablets or whatever, usually fighting and arguing with each other, well guess what, since they are right next to you, they will keep you up.

Now if you decide some night that you want to get in some "Late Nigh Exercise", it is very awkward with your kids, basically right next to you.

Now I get there is this cheesy door that is supposed to work as a separation, but it does not provide any noise relief as far as I can tell.

This floor plan works well for us. Kids are up front, we are in the back, a little separation in when you are all trapped in a very small box to begin with.

Good Luck!
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:57 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I have read your posts and I went through the same search you are going through. i purchased a 2011 Winnebago 39N (DP bunk bed model) and we absolutely love it. Unlike most floorpans this one really makes sense to us. Kitchen up front, living area with two opposing couches that can all view both TV's from dinette and couches. Awesome king sized air adjustable two zone, washer dryer, 40" tv in living area, 32" tv between driver and passenger seats, outside 32" tv, wireless headphone/dvd players in each bunk.

One of the best features is there are three distinct living areas: Kitchen, living room, and sleeping area. Walk through bathroom. Great Cummins 6.7 turbodiesel yielded us 10 to 11 mpg on our 28 day, 4,700 mile trip last summer, with the only maintenance item being a $350 power transfer switch replacement which I changed out myself.

We really love this RV! Very well made, no comparison to the Pallazzo or Fleetwood that we looked at in the $155,000 to $165,000 price range new. This one was two years old with 12,000 miles on it when I purchased it last April for around the same price. air ride, driving comfort, stability, ability to climb 12,000 foot elevation Vail Pass with ease, passing other motorhomes and truckers.

The 2011 Winnebago Journey Express 39N is a fantastic find if you can locate one -- there weren't many made and they go quickly on the resale market. Happy hunting and good luck!
http://www.pattersonrv.com/rv/winneb...ey_Express_39N
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:06 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
BTW, in regards to the Norcold refrigerator: mine has a 4 doorNorcold which was not subject to recall. Has performed flawlessly for now going on it's fourth year since built. Plenty of space, great icemaker, and works perfectly. Just avoid the problem (recalled) models. We have no desire or need to change to a residential fridge.

Also this model has an 8,000 watt diesel Onan generator which uses the coach diesel fuel and has more than enough power for all THREE air conditioning units.

I researched for more than a year and drove different model Rv's before finding this one. We couldn't be happier!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote