Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2012, 01:19 AM   #1

OK you tire GUYS

Need help w/tires, on rear axle, duals tires- can you have on the inside (size) 255/80R 22.5 XRV & on the outside 255/80R 22.5 XZE ? I do have the XZE on the front & they are better than the old XRV ones on my pusher.
Marlybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2012, 01:50 AM   #2

I Malybelle what is the dot on your tires
andrerw
Andrew from Québec Ca NKK#16343
2004 Kountry Star 3904 Cummins 330 ISC towing a Jeep Cherooke Trail Hawk 2016,Blue Ox.and Buddy Brake ,TMS,
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC View Post
I Malybelle what is the dot on your tires
andrerw
OK what is a dot?
Marlybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:25 AM   #4

An expert on tires I am not but I would think you should keep the same tire on both inside and outside of the rear duals.I'm not saying you can not use the 2 different tires but it would be safer not to. I do not know without some research what the XRV verses the XZE means but I'm sure someone will be able to answer that. . The DOT being referred to is most likely the Dept of transportation rating stenciled on the sidewall of the tire....Alan
hpykmpr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:33 AM   #5

The dot is print in the side of your tire,( big numbers,) and it will indicate the month, and year, of the fabrication
Anderew
Andrew from Québec Ca NKK#16343
2004 Kountry Star 3904 Cummins 330 ISC towing a Jeep Cherooke Trail Hawk 2016,Blue Ox.and Buddy Brake ,TMS,
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:37 AM   #6

Allow me to make one minor correction. The date code represents the week and the year the tire was manufactured.

For example: a date code of 2809 would mean the tire was manufactured in the 28th week of 2009.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:00 AM   #7

As long as the tires are the same size, they can run side by side without trouble. Be sure to maintain recommended air pressures.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:12 AM   #8

Ok, here's what Michelin says about the XZE.
"A premium all-position radial with extra-wide, extra-deep tread designed to help deliver our best wear in high scrub applications."

And here's their top line on the XRV.
"The all-position radial designed specifically for exceptional performance on recreational vehicles and motor homes."

I would construe the XZE to be a tire designed for a tag rear axle that scrubs the road a lot. Still, the two can safely run side by side as long as they are the same size.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlybelle View Post
Need help w/tires, on rear axle, duals tires- can you have on the inside (size) 255/80R 22.5 XRV & on the outside 255/80R 22.5 XZE ? I do have the XZE on the front & they are better than the old XRV ones on my pusher.

If it were me I'd ask the Michelin folks where you get your tires.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
While they are the same trade size, that does not mean they are the same size. What you need to do it look up the actual diameter (loaded) at your running PSI. These need to be the same. If one is slightly smaller than the other then the revolutions per mile will be different and this in turn will cause one tire to 'drag' the other, causing increased heat and wear.

However, even if all the tires were originally the same size, since they are used I doubt they will still now be.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #11

I did not see in the OP if both tires were new. Even if they are both new, with the different tread design they could be different in size. Measure the tread depth and if there is more them 3/32 difference I would not recommend putting them togather on the same position.
What happens is that the larger tires will carry more of the load and 'could' be over worked. Anytime we work on vehicle with dual rear wheel, we want all tires on that axle to be the same.
I am sure that there will be other thoughts on this but for me I would not mix them on the rear axle
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Very slight difference when new.. XRV is 38.4 in diameter 541 revs /mile the XZE is 38.5 inch and 538 revs/mile. But if the XRV's are worn, the difference becomes greater. Different rotation but also larger dia. tire carries more of the load...
But if the XRV's are paired on driver side and XZE are paired curbside, the tires would turn and share the load the same as their mate.

This came up when I had tires rotated, they moved both fronts to the driver side rear, and those tires went to the front. "keeps them paired for wear". Next rotation would be Right rears to the front...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Marlybelle,

We do have a tire expert on this forum. Give him a shout.

TIREMAN9

and go to his blog and ask questions there, or read what he has to say about tires.

Roger (Tireman9)'s blog
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Very slight difference when new.. XRV is 38.4 in diameter 541 revs /mile the XZE is 38.5 inch and 538 revs/mile. But if the XRV's are worn, the difference becomes greater. Different rotation but also larger dia. tire carries more of the load...
That difference is so minimal, it's irrelevant. Just MHO.