Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2019, 02:11 PM   #1

Oklahoma weigh station

Has anyone ever been pulled into an Oklahoma scale or skipped one and received a ticket in the mail? I usually pass them in the left lane but for some reason I went by one recently in the right lane and at the last second they turned on the “truck exit” sign. It literally came on at a time that I saw it through the passenger side door window. At that point I decided not to mash the brakes (which I would have had to do due to their delay in lighting the sign) but kept going and they kindly took my picture. I’m under on all my weights, I’m plated for 8,000 lbs more than my GCWR with good equipment, new and nearly new tires (steers were installed that morning) that are one load range over what is required. I believe that if you want vehicles other than just commercial trucks to exit based on a sign that sign needs to read something other than “truck exit”, I’m not driving a truck. I’m curious if anyone else has dealt with this?
BigAirT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2019, 02:16 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've had this happen a couple times. the "Enter Scale" light comes on.. I've never entered the scale, never been stopped, and never received any ticket.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 03:30 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I think the Truck Enter Scale sign is automatic. If there is no back-up and you go over the in-motion scale and you weigh enough, it thinks you are a truck. I have had it light for me a few times and I just drive by.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:34 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Was that the light going south bound on I-35? I had it light up on me once and so bright I could feel the heat of the lamps. I've made that trip many times but only had it light up once, but no ticket.
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:02 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Oklahoma weigh station

The light comes on because you went over a weigh in motion pad on the highway .. it ignores lighter weight vehicles but since you weigh enough it assumes you are a commercial truck. It’s automated .. a computer ... no person singled you out !!
You are not a commercial truck ... or operating as a commercial vehicle ( as in a transport making money ) drive by and forget about it. ..
I’ve had years of trucking ... so I know something of this
Old 07-12-2019, 05:23 PM   #6

I have had the enter weigh scale sign flashed at me before, just ignore it. The sign and weigh station is only for commercial drivers. If they wanted to talk to you they would have sent a chase car to stop you. I don't believe that weigh stations are set up to mail tickets like they do at some intersections.
I drove a truck for a couple of years post retirement and although I never had a bad experience at a weigh station (heard many bad stories though) I still get nervous when I see the "OPEN" sign!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:37 PM   #7

Grindstone1 I understand the sentiment on the weigh scales, I’ve had, seen and had good friends have trouble at them though mostly in Iowa and California. The way I understand it is that the operator lights the sign which makes sense considering how ridiculously late it was flashed. The reason I’m even asking is that they did take multiple pictures of me as I passed. I’m just preparing myself for a defense if I get a nice little note in the mail. The day after returning from that trip I received a photo speed ticket in the mail from Sioux City Iowa. The motorhome was rolling with the flow of traffic and decelerating gently as the speed dropped from 70 to 50, that one I’m fighting as well. They say they are concerned about safety but what is safer a vehicle gently decelerating with the flow of traffic or one that slams the brakes and disrupts that flow? No I don’t drive fast all the time I generally try to go with the flow of traffic. If I want a speed fix then I hop in the race car.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAirT View Post
Grindstone1 I understand the sentiment on the weigh scales, I’ve had, seen and had good friends have trouble at them though mostly in Iowa and California. The way I understand it is that the operator lights the sign which makes sense considering how ridiculously late it was flashed. The reason I’m even asking is that they did take multiple pictures of me as I passed. I’m just preparing myself for a defense if I get a nice little note in the mail.r.

Again, weigh stations don't care about a private vehicle, they only exist for commercial vehicle enforcements... period,period,period.
Second, a weigh station would be impractical to mail out violations, they just don't do that. If you run past a weigh station and they want to talk to you, they will send out a chase car to stop you, that's how it works. Then they will usually want to perform a level 1 inspection and check your log book, none of which they can do to a private vehicle. If you make it past a weigh station and you don't see flashing lights behind you, then you are free and clear to go on.
Speeding in a photo declared area is ripe for a mailed ticket and de-acceleration don't matter once you pass the lower speed sign. The law is the law, from their stand point, how far should de-acceleration be allowed, 10', 100' or a mile?
I fought a ticket like you described once when I was 16. The officer wrote me for doing 45 in a 35 zone. I took a picture with me to court showing my car at the ticket stop point and clearly showing the first 35 speed sign another 1/2 block farther down the road. The ticket was dismissed and the officer didn't know what to say! PS - I was really doing 50 and the officer thought he was being nice by issuing the ticket for 45. I kept my mouth shut and said thank you for the ticket.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:34 PM   #9

Grindstone1 thanks for the input, I thought it pretty crazy/stupid to mess with a motorhome that’s well under all the limits. I’ll sleep a little easier not wondering how big of a ticket is coming. I like your ticket story. I’m going to fight mine on principle, all it is is a money grab, they don’t even try to photograph the driver and no driver no valid violation. I’ve had some cop buddies tell me it’s a speed trap scam and fight it.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:31 PM   #10

Not Class A here but have seen the sign turn on in both Oklahoma and Tennessee before. Never once stopped or received a ticket.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:52 PM   #11

Having been a professional driver for 40yrs, I can agree with everything above.

However, you may see an RV in a weigh station on occasion. Why? Because when they are being transported from place to place by a commercial transport company, they are then being operated commercially and therefore subject to being inspected at those facilities.

How does law enforcement know which is which? By the license plates (or lack thereof) on the vehicle. If it has commercial plates such as manufacturer or dealer plates (or temporary transport plates depending on the state of origin) the operator had best pull into the weigh stations when open.

Non commercial operators can ignore weigh stations if they choose.

2013 Ford CMax hybrid toad.
av8tor2 is offline   Reply With Quote