Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2018, 02:34 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It just amazes me after folks retire they still act like they are at work. Speed limit and above. Hundreds of miles a day.
Just did a 5000 mile trip. Took 3 months. Long days were anything over 150 miles. At a relaxed 55-60 mph. Less wear and tear on me and my RV.
OH YA. I saw things you did not.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2018, 06:00 PM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Just did a 5000 mile trip. Took 3 months. Long days were anything over 150 miles..
That’s what I’m talking about......just a few more years

Steve
Old 07-27-2018, 06:15 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost1750 View Post
I started driving a 35 ft. National Tropical gasser when I bought it new in 201 at the ripe old age of 68. In 2003 I traded it for a 2003 39 ft. National Tradewinds with a Spartan Chases, the difference was amazing. When traveling cross country I try to cover 400 miles a day. I'm a Korean vet with heart stints, otherwise good health. I just turned 85 last month and traded for a 40 ft. Canyon Star gasser. There has been a big improvement in handling and ride of the gasser since 2001. We will head back cross country in a month or so and I still plan to cover 400 miles a day, if I can do it without pushing too much. I have the advantage of having a much younger wife (8 years ) who is able to take the wheel when needed.
Wipe that smile off your face...cradle robber!!!
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:34 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Wipe that smile off your face...cradle robber!!!
ghost1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:03 PM   #33

I have so enjoyed all the posts from you older or soon to be older guys. There are two requirements for RV'ers especially those over 60, Patience and a great sense of humor. I've noticed both in most of your posts. My first wife ,deceased said that if I didn't have a sense of humor I'd probably have no sense at all. She was as bad as I if not worse. We traveled through life together for 53 years, the last five years in a motorhome. My biggest problem at this age is, other than getting up once I'm down is "What if", but once I'm behind the wheel and have covered the first few miles I'm OK.

Thanks again for the smiles I got from your posts. I do need to learn to slow down and enjoy the trip. For years I carried a magnetic sign on the back of my tow, LIFE IS A JOURNEY not A DESTINATION. and definitely it is. Happy trails you all and enjoy the journey.
ghost1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:21 AM   #34

We put over 50% of the miles on our coach traveling between our WI home and AZ home or traveling to ID to visit a daughter. In the fall, we are anxious to get to AZ, open up the house and reacquaint with old friends. In the spring, we are anxious to get back to WI, open up the house and to see our children and grandchildren. Have been traveling some of the same roads for 15+ years. I'm sure there are things in between that would be interesting that we haven't seen, but both of us would rather be at our destination. Hense, our 2000 mile journey becomes a four day trip. I drive and my wife of 54 years reads, sleeps, gets me snacks and refreshing drinks while the dog watches for cows along the road. At 75, I just haven't been able to stop after 200 miles and check into another park when we have so much more at the end of the trip. Maybe when I get old, that will change.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:39 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm 77. Years ago when I drove semis over the road I could do twelve to fifteen hour days with little problem. That was a looooong time ago.

I'm retired. We seldom have a need to hurry, so I don't. 200 miles in heavy traffic is harder than 300 miles of country driving. We use the old cell phone and I just tell the DW when I feel the need to stop, and she phones ahead to find a CG.

Sometimes we are on familiar routes and do push it a little, but only if I feel up to it.

We tend to get on the road around nine or ten and off the road prior to five PM. Casual breakfast and stop in time for a drink prior to dinner.

Did I mention that I'm retired. What's the hurry?

BTW, The last coach was a tag axle diesel, but this one is a single axle DP. They both drove just fine.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:54 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
A big DP will be much different and easier to drive: heavier, longer wheel base, tag axle (better ride), air ride/brakes, bigger tires, heavy duty suspension and power steering, more power, quieter, and probably some I've forgotten.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:50 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Shorten your travel time

3 hours is plenty

What we do is not work.....it's fun
Old 08-02-2018, 03:45 PM   #38

I want to add Thank You for your Service and the horrible sacrifices made!
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:16 PM   #39
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I have both a 40 foot dp and a 32 foot gasser. There is no comparison, the DP is 10X better in driving down the road. The noise is in the back so you can talk. I still can't get over sitting above 8 pistons going at 4500 RPM. I hope they stay in the motor and not up my ---.
The DP handles better because of the weight (a completely different suspension) better brakes along with a Jake brake.
I am selling my 40 footer as we won't be traveling south anymore as I am 74, diabetic with some loss of toes. I didn't want to give up motor homing so I bought a 32 foot gasser so that my wife could drive it if necessary. It is made by the same manufactures as my first motorhome - a 35 footer gasser and my 40 foot DP -- Triple E.
Go for the DP.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:37 PM   #40

Wore out

No..im 60...drive a 40ft pusher...after 5 or 6 hours 250 t0 300 miles knocks me out too...wrestling this beast with all the nuts out there is a real workout...you would think being as big as a bus would make people aware of you but I think people just are so drugged up and crazy they just see our rigs as a wall in the way...thats my 2 cents....
Kbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:18 PM   #41

I'm 57 and on my sixth RV. Started with a 1985 23' Class C (Damon Escaper), then went to a 23' 1995 Winnebago Warrior (entry level) Class A - real effort to drive this one until I upgraded the front shocks which made a BIG difference! Then I went to a 35' 2004 Class A Itasca Suncruiser (35U) - much more comfortable to drive than the Warrior. Then I went to a 35' 2008 Winnebago Sightseer (to get the bunk beds) - a definite downgrade and didn't drive as nice as the Suncruiser, could really tell it was a lower level coach. Then I went to a 40' Monaco Cayman (my first diesel pusher) with bunk beds. It drove nice enough down the road but being a DP it drives big and the engine is not as responsive to feathering the throttle to climb a pass. I never got comfortable with it for a several reasons but with regard to driving it a few are: 1) the driver's mirror out in front of the coach was completely blocked when driving in snow - the wiper pushed the snow to the part of the windshield used to look at the mirror, 2) being a bulker rig with more glass upfront driving into stations to refuel at night was a bear because all the traffic lights, gas station lights, other cars' headlights reflect all over the windshield and side windows making it difficult [for me] to clearly see where to turn in - note: I am always flat towing a dingy so backing up is never an option, 3) it was stable enough going down the road and you don't get pushed around in the wind which is a positive but the seat sat too high and frankly I just didn't like driving it which was a bummer because I was really looking forward to putting a lot of miles on that one. It had quality issues so I got rid of it and went back to a 35' 2004 Itasca Suncruiser (35U). All coaches combined I've driven about 200,000 miles and I would say the biggest thing to take the edge off driving is to drive no faster than 65mph and let everyone else blast past you. I don't tire nearly as quickly when I'm not constantly changing lanes to pass people or jockeying for position in traffic.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I would recommend renting a DP for a week trip to see if you think you'll be able to be comfortable driving the bigger coach.

Happy Travels!
Fab5father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:58 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you all for you service and sacrifice! Drive what ever suits your needs, wants or aspirations. Life is a journey, not a destination - after all you have done - you should enjoy every minute!

OP, I'm confident a DP would be more comfortable to drive, but I'm not sure of all the economics involved. That is up to you. Go rent one, or ask someone at a campground to let you drive theirs, then you will know better.