Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2018, 05:56 AM   #1

Old Age

I'm 70 years old and a diabetic [agent orange] and we currently own a 35foot gasser. With the chf and a track bar it drives pretty good. Problem is if I get up, unhook and drive 250 mi in say 5 hours stopping a couple times I flat wore out. Now will the ease of driving a 35 foot or so pusher make it easier??
bandit2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2018, 06:10 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
In my opinion, No, you won't notice a difference in driving a gas or diesel pusher of the same size (length and weight).

Where the big difference is, is going from a single rear axle to a tax axle.

So you would need to increase your length to at least 38ft to get a Tag (Tag Axles are most common in a 40+ footer).
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit2026 View Post
I'm 70 years old and a diabetic [agent orange] and we currently own a 35foot gasser. With the chf and a track bar it drives pretty good. Problem is if I get up, unhook and drive 250 mi in say 5 hours stopping a couple times I flat wore out. Now will the ease of driving a 35 foot or so pusher make it easier??
IMHO - It sure will - Just easier - Be sure the Alignment is Good so the driving is not a fight - When someone asks how it is to drive My old Bus - "almost as easy as the Lexus" -

While we all get tired a little sooner as we get older - one other way to look at it is set the limit a little lower - what's the Hurry. -

200 miles a day is a Good Day. Usually just means we can have Happy Hour Sooner -

Slow down and make the Drive as Good as the Destination. -

JMHO,

Edit - 70 is the new 50 -

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:49 AM   #4

old age

Will an air ride pusher be easier? Maybe a little but in my opinion not enough to justify the cost. Not sure how long you have been driving a motorhome or how often you drive it. I find most of the fatigue is psychological. If we haven't moved in a while the first day of driving I am getting use to driving this big thing again . Gripping the wheel too tight,over correcting ever little twitch. Getting use to the different perspective of where you are in the lane. The second day I can drive all day if I have to.(but don't usually try,Why rush? Enjoy the trip)
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit2026 View Post

My husband is a couple of years older than you are, diabetic with coronary artery disease (8 stents), and also a Vietnam vet, having served in the Navy on the USS Forestal. Thank you, sir, for your service.

We, too, have a gasser, Tiffin Allegro 36LA. It’s a very nice unit and we have enjoyed it a lot. However, after doing a ton of modifications to make handling better...and it’s so much better now...driving it is still pretty intense so we have decided to upgrade to a diesel pusher, and likely a 40- or 45-foot Tiffin or Newmar product. From what we have ascertained from a good deal of research, and conversations with owners, we believe the DP will be a much improved ride for us.

Best of luck!
Vlunceford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:56 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Lets look at this differently.
How would you feel if you got up and vacuumed the whole house (or whatever would be about the same exertion as hooking up the toad), and then go drive your car for 250 miles?
That's probably as 'good' as it's going to get. If you'd be tired after that you'll be tired after driving the DP for 250 miles.

If you're not 'working' at keeping the gasser in it's lane then I don't know how much you'd gain from changing to a DP (note, I've never driven one).
However, the quietness of the DP will come in to play. The constant noise of driving a gasser will also contribute to making you more tired at the end of the trip.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:04 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I agree with the saying that once you drive a tag axle coach you will not go back and I still put in multiple 12+ hour days. Not sure it will make enough difference in your situation.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:07 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
JMHO:
I am approaching 69yrs old.

I had a Berkshire DP. 40ft length, and 360 HP.
I did get tired at around 300 miles. Wanted to stop ASAP. I have to believe it would have been worse with a gasser, but then again, I'm a creature that loves comfort.

I now own a 45ft Tiffin Bus with a tag. 450HP. I can drive all day and not feel the need to pull in for the night.

So for me, it was not just having a DP, but having the right one that wants to go down the road with very little driver input.

I love my Tiffin.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:12 AM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
200 miles per day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post

200 miles a day is a Good Day.
Hi Busskipper,

200 per day sounds like it would be about my endurance as well. How do you find stops so close together though? Would appreciate any suggestions.

Charles.
Randm Musing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:17 AM   #10

From my experience, the answer is yes, a DP can be more relaxing to drive. As long as the alignment and tires are good you would have a smoother, quieter, more relaxing drive. However, you would have to decide if the result justifies the cost. Our coach is 44' long with a tag and towing a 6000# Avalanche. I'm 75 with occasional AFIB and a stint and run 4-500 miles a day @63 mph. The Bus just wants to run straight down the road with very little input from me. We recently had a day with 600 miles. On a 400 mile day, I'm not ready to stop, but sometimes we do. We run 2000 miles from WI to our AZ home in 4 days. Sometimes it's 4-5 hours into the fifth day. I could never do that when we had a gas coach. 350 miles in it and I was done. The DP is more relaxing, but it all comes at a price. This coach is almost like an extension of myself on the road.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:33 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
One person’s experience... I’m ONLY 57... I had a 2002 36’ gasser and upgraded to a 40’ (no tag) dp. Major difference in drive ability for me. Could have been that my gasser was just worn out, but I don’t have to fight/correct the DP. Rides like a dream. I’m not as tired from fighting wind, trucks, etc. when I get where I’m going.

My advice? Go drive a DP and see for yourself if there’s a difference worth making the swap.
Smhutto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:25 AM   #12

stay fit

staying fit is the key just like anything your mind and body must work together I drive a Travel Supreme 42 pulling a 22 ft race trailer in the trailer is a Penske indy car that I race all over the country in vintage races. I will be 71 in oct.
EXCERCISE
RT 41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Lets look at this differently.
How would you feel if you got up and vacuumed the whole house (or whatever would be about the same exertion as hooking up the toad), and then go drive your car for 250 miles?
That's probably as 'good' as it's going to get. If you'd be tired after that you'll be tired after driving the DP for 250 miles.

If you're not 'working' at keeping the gasser in it's lane then I don't know how much you'd gain from changing to a DP (note, I've never driven one).
However, the quietness of the DP will come in to play. The constant noise of driving a gasser will also contribute to making you more tired at the end of the trip.

One of the most creative ways to consider this issue. I think this will help a good many people to include myself. Good work and thank you.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:20 AM   #14

If that is what you are telling the DW to get her on board with the DP then go for it and good luck!!!

I have never driven a DP I am not qualified to offer an opinion so here goes!

I don't see how the DP would be that much different. Seat is the same, steering wheel is the same, just a little more noise. Our Newmar is not noisy at all. It handles well. While it does make a little extra noise when downshifting I don't see where that would add any more effort to driving.
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying the ride is the same, I am just saying I don't think you will be less tired after a DP drive than a gas to where it makes sense to buy one.

Just tell the DW to add a few hundred bucks to the MH maintenance budget and go buy what you want. She should not be telling you what kind of vehicle to buy!!!

Good luck and keep us posted after the divorce.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote