Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2015, 09:42 PM   #1

Old black lap sealant/dichor removed- next step?

Hey all, I'm resealing the aluminum roof on this "vintage" MH and am wondering how best to proceed. I have ground off most of the old sealant, looks like dicor, cheap random elastomeric plus the ancient black goo that they used at the factory in the 70's, which is holding up quite well btw. I purchased two gallons of EDPM "Liquid roof" which I'm going to go over the lapped areas after caulking. My question is, how to ensure best adhesion of the liquid roof to the surface. I guess I have three choices, one would be to spend hours scrubbing off all traces of old sealant with thinner, AND paint with the proper epoxy proflex primer, then the liquid roof. They say the purpose of the proflex primer is to use over old asphalt (etc) materials so as not to have to spend the time removing old materials, I could also just clean the heck out of it and go straight over with the liquid roof. Option one is obviously the best route but is it overkill, I'd rather avoid hours under the sun slopping thinner around and tossing dozens of dirty rags into the trash if possible. Also, anyone know what type of sealer the black stuff might be? I'd like to use something with good compatibility, I suppose dicor would be safe in whatever case, none available locally so am doing a bit of a "stick test" on three caulk types, but will likely just get the real deal. Pls see pics, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150722_181555_441.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	375.8 KB
ID:	100874  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2015, 10:20 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The reason any flexible caulk is needed at the seams is because of movement of the joint. Expansion/contraction, vibration, flexing of the body, etc. I'd think about using EternaBond tape. It's available in various widths and should do a good job of covering and sealing the joints in the aluminum panels.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:21 PM   #3

Well, I was going to use the EB tape, but kept hearing that it wasn't always as permanent as it could be. I'm doing a compromise, cleaning it up as well as I reasonably can, then using the proflex primer/liquid roof. I don't think I've heard one single complaint about that stuff.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:21 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I used a heat gun and plastic putty knife to help get the old caulking up, and have had good luck with the eternabond on a clean surface.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:09 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
I just don't think a paint-on liquid roof product would handle the movement and flexing and retain water integrity. EternaBond tape or Dicor self leveling caulk will, but the EternaBond leaves a nicer appearance.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:26 AM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
BFlinn is right. Ebond will do a better, neater and more dependable job. Just clean the surface you are applying to very thoroughly. When you get it down, roll it firmly in place with something like the wall paper joint roller. This will make sure there is full surface contact as well are activate the adhesive
Old 07-25-2015, 07:31 PM   #7

After cleaning the joint, I would apply a good polyurethane sealant in the joint. AND then I would apply at least one layer of Eternabond tape. Make sure to use the brand name product, the knock-offs tend to be less than the best.
Check the condition of the tape annually. I have some joints eight years old and still in good condition.

Tags
seal