Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just had a friend had to pay $2000 for new lifter pump never used the diesel Sta-bil last winter and fuel gelled up plugging up all filters and lines.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2013, 05:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Just had a friend had to pay $2000 for new lifter pump never used the diesel Sta-bil last winter and fuel gelled up plugging up all filters and lines.
Jelled fuel will not cause a mechanical failure. Jelled fuel is simply too cold to flow normally, once it returns to a liquid state it flows normally. If anyone experiences jelled fuel buy a red jug of http://powerservice.com/d911/, pour it into the fuel tank and forget it for a few hours. This product will slowly invade your entire fuel system and de-jell the fuel, making it usable again. I always carry a jug when I anticipate traveling from warm weather to cold, like returning from FL or the RGV to Indiana in winter. This is because those warm weather states do not blend cold weather additives into fuel, this fuel can jell up when I arrive in cold weather.

If anyone experiences jelled fuel they can either use the diesel 911 or have your vehicle pulled into a heated garage until the fuel warms again and the filters unplug by themselves.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:26 AM   #17

Whoowee, some people sure like to complicate things.
Happy Trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #18
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gary;

I owned and ran a truck stop in central WI for 42 years until I retired in 2007. My daughter and her husband run the business now. It appears to me there are 2 issues being discussed. First is untreated #2 diesel fuel being used in temps below freezing. It just jells up the fuel system. The fuel is still OK when it thaws out. We will not go into that because that season is 5 months or so away.

If your fuel is in plastic jugs and has been capped to keep out dirt. I believe you will not have any problem adding 5 gals at a time to your fuel tank if your are certain moisture has not entered the containers and allowed bacteria to grow. Use a funnel with a fuel screen in it. You could add a coffee filter if you have some concerns. My experience with the bacteria in diesel fuel is it is a black gooey substance and you do not want any of that added to your fuel system.

Please post back what you decide to do and how it works out for you. We all learn from each other and that is what makes this site so invaluable.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Paint filters do a fair job when stuck in a funnel.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #20

I have two vehicles that use diesel, one a 2006 ford f350 4x4 and a 2001 National Motorhome with a 325 hp cat diesel, I have never had diesel long enough to worry about its stability, I do use diesel sta bil in my motorhome as it is stored from November to April where it is at a constant 55 degees all the time in a cave in an old limestone mine. The only problem I have had is that the batteries run down due to items that are on all the time. Has anyone had any luck with battery switches that take the batteries out of the circuit?
Gene327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
Its like playing with a six shooter with only one round in it,,, Do you feel lucky?? LOL

Like I said before,,,, for saving a few bucks,,, not in my coach!!

joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeekid View Post
Whoowee, some people sure like to complicate things.
Happy Trails
Jim

AMEN to that!

Seems this board, more than any other I wander thru, has more than it's share of nit-picking critics always eagerly searching for something to criticize or pick apart...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
AMEN to that!

Seems this board, more than any other I wander thru, has more than it's share of nit-picking critics always eagerly searching for something to criticize or pick apart...

You got that correct. I have used this board immensley repairing and updating my 1996 Signature and I am greatly appreciative but,,,, You have to sift thru the rumble to find the "right" answers,,,
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #24

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene327 View Post
The only problem I have had is that the batteries run down due to items that are on all the time. Has anyone had any luck with battery switches that take the batteries out of the circuit?
My RV has battery disconnect switches for chassis and house just inside the door. The house switch solenoid doesn't work. (I haven't gotten around to playing with it) The P.O. put knife switches on each (+) post of the two house batteries. When those switches are open, NO electricity flows! They are very simple way to isolate a battery. On our boat we had Perko battery switches that also were effective. The nice thing about my knife switches is it's easy to wire a solar charger into the batteries by hooking the wires up on the battery side of the knife switch.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
Thanks for the link. That last bullet is informative:
"Regularly turn the fuel over. If possible, plan the fuel usage so that it will all be used
within 1-5 years and replaced with fresh fuel. "
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel