Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #1

Old diesel fuel

Hi All,

I have a 2000 Damon 40' Escaper w/300hp Cat that I purchased about 18 months ago w/30K miles. We filled the 100 gallon tank last fall and we've been so busy this summer haven't driven coach at all. I winterized it last fall with stabilizer and anti gel and it won't get driven till next spring at the earliest. How long will the fuel be ok? Tank is full.
I'm from Ohio so its stored in winter conditions.

Thoughts?

Thank you,

Jim
jims427400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #2

Diesel doesn't lose too much in the long run, and you've ticked all the boxes as far as storing it. I have not stored over a year but I'm sure you'll be ok.
Maybe , some booster , and frequent top ups when you do get running.
Cat , recommends the engine be rolled over , before attempting to start , to lube things up after a long storage.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have never let my fuel sit that long except in my boats both diesel and gas. Lets start with diesel since that is your specifics. What type of fuel stabilizer and did you use bio bor algaecide? Main issue is condensation in the tank or tanks creating algae. Bio bore will eliminate this problem. I personally would change out the water separator filter and the primary. Run the engine under load, ie: twenty miles or more, and change them out again. Some may feel this is excessive, but if your left in the Gulf Stream with clogged filters adrift, no engine you learn fast! Just good insurance for a small price!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Do some reading about PRI-D. PRI Advanced Fuel Treatments

I have used it here in Fl over the years for fuel stored in my 500 gal. tank at home and have had it last up to two years. I don't think you will have a problem since you kept the tank full and treated it. Diesel is easy to work with provided you do it right like you did.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
mine has (2) 50 gallon tanks and 10 miles from home I fill both tanks to the top on my way home. I have done this 3 times and 3 times it has worked out just fine.
Mine has sat minimum 9 months at a time or more. No addidtives are really required.
Just make fore sure water separators are drained of any water.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:59 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I had old generators come into work, when I worked in the power department of the phone company in New England (key words -- when I worked!). The fuel in the tank would often be years old and not treated as far as I know. If the water separator is working you should have no problem running on that tank.

Just a side note: I have been running one oz of cheap 2 cycle motor oil per gal of diesel. I have been doing this for a few years now. My last coach, '05 Winne Vectra, Cummins 400 HP, ran a bit cooler and had a bit more power and better fuel milage. The purpose of the 2 cycle oil is to lubricate the fuel train internal components.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Hopefully you are starting the motor every month or so. Diesel engines are noted for having the rings freeze up on the piston when let set for an long period of time with out starting and lubing the pistons. Once the rings freeze to the piston there is a loss of compression. The motor will eventually start but you take the chance of burning out the started before it will start.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #8

According to BP...
Long term storage of diesel fuel - BP
http://www.bp.com%2Fliveassets%2Fbp_...51495398,d.cWc

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...51495398,d.cWc
Old 08-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
mine has (2) 50 gallon tanks and 10 miles from home I fill both tanks to the top on my way home. I have done this 3 times and 3 times it has worked out just fine.
Mine has sat minimum 9 months at a time or more. No addidtives are really required.
Just make fore sure water separators are drained of any water.
Exactly! Purchasing additives is a good thing___for additive sellers. There must be a good reason Cummins does not recommend using additives.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Exactly! Purchasing additives is a good thing___for additive sellers. There must be a good reason Cummins does not recommend using additives.
You sure about that? Look at this from Cummins.
Fuel Additives
hes4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:34 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Fuel will be fine as long as you topped off the tanks like you did. Depending on the year of your coach (especially if it's older) the 2 cycle oil is a good additive..the rest except for a couple brands (you can't find in stores unfortunately) don't really do anything for lubricity.

Here's a very interesting read:

Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:28 AM   #12

My FIRST Post..!

Greetings ALL,

Diesel fuel is almost bulletproof other than for contamination.
Keep an eye on your filtration system.

2-Stroke additive is good (the cheap stuff is better than typical additives).

pc
pocketchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketchange View Post
My FIRST Post..!
Greetings ALL,
Diesel fuel is almost bulletproof other than for contamination.
Keep an eye on your filtration system.
2-Stroke additive is good (the cheap stuff is better than typical additives).pc
Pocketchange. good to have your with us.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hes4all View Post
You sure about that? Look at this from Cummins.
Fuel Additives
How about that, looks like Cummins has jumped on the additives money train too. I'll never rely on what I read on their website some years ago again.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel