Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #15

As a retired car dealer, I say you have to consider it a 3 yr old coach. You need to have it thoroughly checked by an inspector. The dealer has gotten factory rebates and has written the value down every year. He has been paying interest on it. Warranties start the day it is transferred to a retail customer. If it has miles on it then you want to make sure it's been cared for.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty years View Post
As a retired car dealer, I say you have to consider it a 3 yr old coach.....
Great advice.

You have to treat this like you're buying a used coach. After all... as soon as you drive it off the lot, it will be a Used Coach.

Negotiate and inspect from that standpoint.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
If you are interested, I wouldn't be afraid of this, with caveats. I acquired a used coach that I later found out had been on the lot 3 years. I also bought it at huge discount. First this is not the usual used MH. It is new but older. I can almost guarantee that the lowest price you can think of will still have profit in it for the dealer. I would offer him something less than 50% of MSRP. Worst case is you walk. All the warranties should still be in effect as you would be the first owner. He is probably thinking he can get a premium over the same year used, maybe, but not from me.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
That coach is what is referred to as a "lot queen" It either has a bad floor plan, bad colors, etc where nobody has bought it in two years. When it comes time to re-sell it or trade it in, the problem will still be there and hard to get rid of. Unless the dealer is completely nuts on what he thinks it is worth.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On a related note..

Here's another "new-used" Diplomat, but a 2008. I wonder why they still have it?

2008 Monaco Diplomat 40SFT Class A Diesel Lebanon, ME State Line Superstore

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
Here's another "new-used" Diplomat, but a 2008. I wonder why they still have it?

2008 Monaco Diplomat 40SFT Class A Diesel Lebanon, ME State Line Superstore

Fran
I think it's the LSU exterior. That thing would sell quick in Baton Rouge!
Old 10-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #21

Wow 2008, that's almost 6 years old! Tires are probably already 7 years old. According to NADA it originally was $267k, used prices now between $123k and $148k. Interesting.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
Would you be able to get Warranty work done on it??? If so , who's going to cover it ??? You are bound to have some issues with it sitting that long....,
Old 10-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #23

A friend of mine bought a Dutch Star that had sat on the lot brand new for about 2 years. This coach had lots of "lot rot" problems. Eventually they all got fixed but took about 2 years after he bought it. The problems he had were not all minor. And not all related to lot rot. Both his transmission and motor blew. That was not due to sitting on the lot, but about two dozen other things were.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:51 AM   #24

A few years back, a local dealer had a 30' Beaver Patriot DP that we were very interested in. He'd traded it on a bigger unit. It was in really nice shape and had a good floor plan for our needs.

I checked out KBB for a price, then went to see if we could get a deal. He was asking 2.5x the KBB estimate and refused to consider a lower offer. It sat on the lot for over two years and a few weeks after it disappeared, the dealer went bankrupt.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:26 PM   #25

Here's another one. A nice looking Holiday Rambler Endevour. This one is a 2010. Endeavor 2010 42 SKQ
Old 10-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #26

It strikes me that dealers are very dumb/careless not to move a rig around and put at least 15 miles a month or so on a troubled rig. As a buyer, I would surely be more willing to buy it if it had 2k miles or so on the odo after sitting unsold for 5 or 6 years.

Hell, even in the north winters, a tech could just drive it in circles on the lot to put up some winter miles and keep things good. Maybe they are just wanting to dump any problems on the buyer and let them deal with the trouble.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:56 PM   #27

What problems are considered lot rot on an RV?

Tags
diesel