Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
Old new diesel pusher on lot

On a local dealer's lot is a new 2011 Monaco Diplomat. Since it is now the 2014 model year this particular model has been on the lot for over well over 2 years, maybe 3 years. My question is, why would such a nice RV remain unsold for so long and what are the pros and cons of buying this unit? What kind of price would be fair for one?

Started our journey: 2015 Ford F350 Diesel Dually, 2016 Forest River Vengeance Touring 39R12 toy hauler, Can-Am Spyder RT-Limited.
Mr. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
And the Chassis could be years older. There is not much harder on a vehicle than sitting, and unless you get a FANTASTIC deal it isn't one.

Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
If you are truly interested in this coach then you will need to do some in depth inquiries. Warrantees? Does the new owner of Monaco consider this a new coach and warrantee it as such. Same for Cummins and Allison as the builders of the 2 most expensive components. The engine is not DEF equipped so it was built before 1/1/2010. If you were looking at the same unit as used then you would probably be looking at 40% or more off MSRP. Check tire dates also.

No doubt a good coach if the price is right. I would guess that it's still there because the dealer is holding out on the price. He should be getting tired of that routine.
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
A lot of research needs to be done on this find. This coach could have been made in 2010 and could also have a 2009 chassis.
The hardes thing on this is "Time" and what has NOT been used, serviced and maintained. Age of tires, batteries, air systems, transission engine etc.
The buyer of this unit will need to be very very cautious in the inspection of this unit.
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
The first things that come to mind are Tires, batteries, and any freeze damage. We owned a 2008 Monaco Diplomat and it was a great coach, and if we remember correctly by 2011, Monaco had deleted some high end lines and moved the Diplomat up in terms of fit, finish, and amenities. Is this unit a tag axle?, if so, it replaced their higher end Camelot.

As for it sitting on the lot, As you probably know, legacy Monaco went Bankrupt in 2009 ( or 2008) and the assets were purchased by a unit of Navistar (Military vehicles, specialty equipment) Navistar trimmed a lot of the Monaco/Beaver/ Holiday Rambler product offerings, started putting their engines in the units and never got back any market presence. Navistar has since sold Monaco to a holding company (ASV) that also owns Fleetwood. So it's probably on the lot because people don't know who Monaco is anymore. Too bad, because they built a good coach at a good price. If it doesn't have the Navistar motor, I would start at 40% of original MSRP and make the dealer offer a warranty for the first few months/miles. Just guessing on the price offer, it might even be lower than that.
2017 Newell, 2015 Yukon Denali , 2013 Polaris RZR 4/900
FMCA: 383383
nforus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
With the unit sitting there for so long it could have rodents or other critters residing in the coach. Where the belts, tires and air filter have not been used I would have them all closely checked. Is there water in the fuel tank? What condition is the generator from sitting unused for so long, and the electrical systems in general? Diesel engines are surprisingly resilient. I have started large gensets that have set for years in the back lot of our shop at the phone company in my other life. The fuel had been treated before storage and it was still good, to my surprize. A little patience and they fired up and ran fine.

If I were you I would have all of the fluids changed before I drove it off the lot. See if you could rent it for a month before you buy.

I hope this is a blessing and not a curse if you do buy it.

Happy trails,

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
Freightliner Owners Club
Not only water in the fuel, but sitting for that long algae could be present, and a nasty mess to clean out...
Back to a 5'er after 4 yrs fulltime.
Pulling with a '14 2500 ram, 6.4 Hemi.
Montana High Country 31RE
free-to-roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
I would say there is something wrong with a dealer that would hang on to a coach that long and simply let him keep it. Why ask for trouble when there are so many good coach's available for sale.
06 TS-42-DS04
1040 watts of solar
2014 Jeep Rubicon
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by becks View Post
I would say there is something wrong with a dealer that would hang on to a coach that long and simply let him keep it. Why ask for trouble when there are so many good coach's available for sale.
I'll second that!!
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
If you buy I would get extended warranty!
Newellri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #11
Country Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by Newellri View Post
If you buy I would get extended warranty!
Good idea! Better yet, have the extended warranty a part of the purchase and have the dealer pay for it.
srh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #12
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am not a dealer so I do not understand much about lot financing. Do dealers get a credit and basically keep a unit on their lot that is not paid for until it is sold. If that is the case and Monaco went bankrupt is it possible that it could not be sold until the court issues were resolved by then it was an older model and just hard to sell. Just because it sat on the lot does not mean the dealer did not periodically start it and run it. If it has any mileage on it then it is possible that the dealer took it to shows and it got some driving that way. Although I do not agree with it there are a lot of posters on this forum that advocate letting a unit set for a year in storage by just winterizing the coach and putting the proper chemicals in the diesel. The OP needs to talk to the dealer and see if it was driven during the time it was on his lot. As far as price goes. I saw a 2012 journey on a lot that was an unsold model. There was a 2013 journey right next to it. These were almost identically equipped coaches. The 2012 was discounted 100,000 because it was last years model. Keep that in mind if you decide your interested in this coach and want to make an offer. Also if it was purchased as part of the assets out of bankruptcy then it was bought for literally pennies on the dollar. I missed out on a 2 year old journey when I was looking for a coach. The journey was a repo and the price was out of my price range. I went to the dealership that had it a few months after I saw it in a show and it was gone. I asked the salesman about it and he said someone had offered them 160,000 for a 45 foot tag axle with very low mileage and all the options you could get on it. I almost cried that I had not tried to do that. The moral here is make them an offer if you are interested in it. Make it low the worst they will do is say no.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #13
I agree with a low ball offer. Hit them with a half retail offer and negotiate an extended warranty.
Bad Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #14
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would look it up on NADA and see how it appraises as a used unit. I mean a 2011 is 3 years old whether its been driven or not.

You didn't say, but I'll bet its a smaller dealer without much inventory. A couple of years ago I looked at a 2 year old new Tiffin DP a dealer's lot, even took it for a test drive. When we started talking money, he was starting with the MSRP as new. Way higher than other larger dealers were advertising the same left over models. Over a year later that guy still had that same unit on his lot. Not sure what happened, but they are no longer a Tiffin dealer.

Chuck & Pam (the people) - Bobbie & Nikki (the cats)
2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PDQ & Chevy Tracker ZR-2
NJ4B F261484 (ex: NCBounder)
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote