Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2015, 09:01 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Smile Old RV new Digital Gauge Dash Conversion??

Hi,
Have a 99 Holiday Rambler Endeavor with the Cummins Freightliner chassis /diesel. It has the J1708 connector and data bus on it under the dash. Freightliner tells me that everything should be broadcast on this bus.

Engine info
Trans Info
ABS brake info

My question is ....has anyone done or looked at replacing the old gauge cluster with a newer digital dash that gets info from the data bus?

Been looking at VMSpc and some other packages that appear to get you there. There are also some digital gauge clusters out there that essentially use a flat panel display to present gauges.

Looking for someone that has done this or knows more about doing it to understand if it can be done and what are the issues. What is on the bus and what is not?

Thanks in advance...Randy
rorkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Get the VMSpc and run it on a 15" laptop. Sit it on the dash angled to the driver.
Then never need to look down at the dash gauges.

Has worked for me over the last 12 plus years.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:47 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
ABS data with VMSpc?

Great. Do you know if it includes ABS brake info?

Can you make analog gauges on the PC screen using VMSpc?

Anyone else have experience with this or others?

Thanks again.
Randy
Old 08-14-2015, 02:03 PM   #4

I use VMSPC also. Not long ago I got a STOP ENGINE, looked at my VMSPC screen and one glance I knew it was Engine batteries LOW, Alternator dead. I ran generator until home and replaced alternator... Just wish someone would design a fancier looking screen that might look a little more like a Dashboard. Think I would pay for that...
Old 08-14-2015, 02:43 PM   #5

Silverleaf makes a complete "Glass Dash" for motohomes with displays that mimic standard gauges.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:10 PM   #6

A windows based tablet also makes a good display for the VMSpc, and eliminates the space required for the keyboard. Mine runs on a windows 2000 op system on a fujitsu tablet.
Fred
Old 08-14-2015, 08:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Silverleaf makes a complete "Glass Dash" for motohomes with displays that mimic standard gauges.
Yea, have you seen the price?
Old 08-15-2015, 05:24 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks everyone. I have seen the glass dash and it looks nice. are those type of digital gauges available via vmspc on the pc or tablet screen?
Old 08-15-2015, 06:05 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorkis View Post
Great. Do you know if it includes ABS brake info?

Can you make analog gauges on the PC screen using VMSpc?
No ABS brake info. But in all the years of having mine. The dash ABS light has only came on one time. And that was this last spring when the generator regulator was going bad. And the VMSpc showed spikes of 15.4 to 16 + volts at times.

No analog gauges either.
You can download the FREE PC software and play with it to see how you can arrange different ones to what you want.

The hardware $$$ is what makes it all work.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:08 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You could use a ScanGaugeD and customize it to the main gauges you want to monitor. It will give you all the info plus a bunch you don't need for less than $200. I love mine and pay more attention to it than my gauges.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:17 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
digital dash

Thanks for all the info. looks like there are 3 options
1..VMSpc but does not support nice analog type gauges $400 plus laptop or tablet
2. scan gauge D - small screen but good data $159 lots of readings
3. glass dash - very costly and custom. Really nice analog gauges on flat panel display. Costly greater than $5k

Would be really nice if you could write custom analog gauges with VMSpc. that would be a really good balance between 1 and 3.

ANY OTHER OPTIONS??
Old 08-20-2015, 01:47 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
ScanGaugeD can easily be customized and the cost is reasonable.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:06 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I got the ScanGuage D on Amazon for $139.95 with free shipping!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:02 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorkis View Post
Would be really nice if you could write custom analog gauges with VMSpc. that would be a really good balance between 1 and 3.
VMSpc does provide a "back door" for custom integration, but you will have to do some serious programming, or find someone to do it for you. Basically, it setups a shared memory region where it stores the current real-time data that it has collected. You then write an application that connects to this shared memory region, and you can access the latest raw data for each PID, the count of messages received for each PID, and the converted/scaled value for each PID.

There used to be instructions posted on the Silverleaf site, but they are no longer there. I have a saved copy, which is attached. I started to play with it a few years ago, but then got busy with other things and never got back to it. I can't say for sure if it is still supported in the current versions of VMSpc, but I don't see a reason why they would remove it from the application.

With VMSpc running in the background updating the shared memory, a skilled programmer should be able to connect to that shared memory, access the real time data, and develop any kind of graphical front end to display the data.

That's something that I could write, but at my hourly consulting rates, it would be much cheaper to go with the Glass Dash from SilverLeaf, as they have already developed 99% of the code and would only need to customize the layout for your needs.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Shared Memory Instructions.txt (2.3 KB, 124 views)
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, dash, dash replacement, data bus, glass dash, retrofit gauges