Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2018, 05:24 PM   #57

'been RVing about 25 years. At home in Spain we have Mick Doohan's old motorhome. It was built by Nauticat on a Volvo bus chassis. Cost a fortune to keep on the road but it is a write-off for the team. We bought it dirt cheap when Mick retired and do the repairs during the off season. Any part with the name Volvo commands a premium price. The same type parts for our MB 18 wheeler cost 20% less.

Over here we are on our third motorhome. 1st was a classic old GMC which we did a total refit on. Loved it but being limited to the Olds/Cad drivetrain made keeping it up to modern standards impossible.

2nd was a newer, namebrand ClassA on the Phord P53 chassis. Great engine/gearbox. The worst suspension since the covered wagon. Quality of build was garbage. Delimitation on every panel, roof leaks, dash breaking away from sidewalls.

Then, through a friend, we found an OLD Country Coach with 146K miles. We are the 3rd owners, last couple had it for 18 years. She was re-powered about 30K ago. New tires, brakes, bags, etc., etc.

I have spent about a month bring her up to my specs. Found maybe a 1/2 dozen minor problems. We did a 300 mile shakedown trip last week with absolutely Zero problems, next week we are off to ride the Dragon's Tail.

Cruise Control is necessary. She will sneak up to 75MPH towing a 3000#toad going up hill. The ride is so smooth, I do not realize I am gaining speed.

But the main thing is the build quality. A friend has a 1 year old Tiffin. It's build quality is not 1/4 that of our OLD Country Coach.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2018, 05:34 PM   #58

re:
Our 1997 commercial chassis TinyHomeOnWheels

We forgot to mention our GVWR. 29,000 pounds.

Our GCWR is 58,000 pounds.

Across the scales, we weigh 14,550 pounds.

Our cargo capacity is 'enough'.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:39 PM   #59

I may have a 2000 HH Endeavor 38CDS for sale. After a couple of serious medical surgeries, I am having a hard time getting my wife to ride with me.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:48 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
From my experience with my older DP, I would lean toward a brand that survived the 2008 economic downturn and is still in business today. In the less-than-premium market (no Prevost, MCI, Bluebird, etc.) that would be Newmar, Tiffin, or Winnebago. Of the three, I think that Winnebago (and, by extension, Itasca) has the best documentation of the coach systems and parts, which is an advantage for the DIY maintainer. Each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Take some time to read the threads in the various brand-specific forums, and think about how you would solve the problems that you see without manufacturer support. If you are undaunted by orphan products (as I am, with some caveats) you have a larger selection from which to choose. I would pay particular attention to the complex and obsolete integrated systems controllers (often tightly-integrated multiplex computerized control systems for nearly everything in the coach) and think about what will happen when they no longer work.

Whatever you buy, I would lean heavily toward a Cummins engine with Allison transmission. Other stuff is out there. Caterpillar, Mercedes, Detroit Diesel, etc., make fine products, but I think that you will spend less over time, and have an easier time finding parts and service, with the Cummins/Allison combination.
We looked at the old motor coaches for over 2 years! After doing extensive research, and talking to folks that owned the different brands/models, we eventually calculated our budget against the coaches with the floor plan we where happiest with, which also had the other features we wanted...so, it's important to decide on the things you can - and can't live without!

In the end, we decided the Country Coach for the year of coach we wanted, where far too expensive, so we decided on an '08 Tiffin Phaeton. It had the 8.3 360 HP Cummins with over 1000 lbs of torque, we didn't want the front overhead television...and the one we found has it deleted, it was in great condition, and well maintained! The previous owners had all the OEM manuals, and a heavy container that had all the maintenance papers, with receipts and jobs done. It had an upgraded stainless steel residential fridge, batteries where 3 years old, as where the tires. They had the dinette changed at Tiffin, into a desk and table/chairs...which was something we wanted, as a dinette wouldn't be our choice.
It has a satellite dish (which we don't necessarily need at this time...but it's there), 'plus' while in discussion with the previous owner, we also decided to buy their 'towed' vehicle...a 2014 Honda CRV, which came with an Air Force One braking system, as well as all the towing devices needed (we've seen the receipts, and it was big $$). The previous owner gave us boxes of RVing gear, as they where getting out of it completely, as well as a Garmin GPS.
It shines as well as most brand new models, runs great, tows great...and so far after 5 months and several trips, couldn't be happier! Also...no DEF fluid needed...oh, and they installed a brand new windshield the day before we arrived to pick it up...both in the motorhome and the car!
Old 07-19-2018, 05:52 PM   #61

Buying used coach

We just bought a 04 Dutch Star. Great coach but it sat for a year. Bot from a reputable dealer, but since have spent money on inverter, transfer switch, rear jack, and radiator fluid and transmission oil change. Find a certified inspector to check all systems. 25% reserve for repairs is a great idea.

Sam
Old 07-19-2018, 05:52 PM   #62

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Watch out for Monaco products built on the R4R or RR4R chassis equipped with a Monaco Gold suspension. These chassis were used on certain model-year 2002 through 2009 Monaco, Holiday Rambler, Safari, and Beaver motorhomes. These motorhomes had a significant problem with rear trailing arms cracking. My 06 RR4R left rear trailing arm cracked in two, and it still drove fine -- scary -- cost about $4,800 to replace both with upgraded parts. Lots of info online, Google RR4R trailing arms. Love my 06 Safari and the C7 Cat. Ride like a dream and purrs like a Cat. No DPF/DEF = yea!
Good post. I have a 03 HR. Replaced trailing arms.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:05 PM   #63

keep lookin'

couple of years ago i was in the same spot. found the right machine on rv trader, in iowa, always parked indoors. was immaculate. a newmar kountry star, 37', 2 slides, cat 330, allison 6.

bought a maintenance ins. policy for the first year from gs. a waste. they refused to pay because i didn't dot all the i's and cross the t's. with an older machine, just accept that some addn costs are going to come along. i've since spent ~$2500 on steering and stability features. makes all the difference on good handling.

good luck. be patient. it'll happen.
gary
Old 07-19-2018, 06:10 PM   #64

What to buy

I would look for a Alpine, no longer made but we're well built and had the side radiator for better air flow and less road dust. It was one of the few that had steel wheel wells, not a big deal till you have a blowout then you will be glad it was steel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbc View Post
I am looking for a 1999 to 2005 Diesel Class A motorhome up to 40 feet. I am not sure which model would be better and not sure where would be the best place to look. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Any ideas on what not to buy or what to look for would be great. If there is another forum covering this topic please let me know. Thanks. Herb
Old 07-19-2018, 06:32 PM   #65

We looked for 6 months! Went to PPL a consignment center found just like another person said....Nobody maitains and sometimes doesn’t even clean these motor homes!
We walked lots in Houston for two days only to be disappointed!

Sadly most people buy more than they can afford and don’t pay down the mortgage. Therefore they can’t come off the price!

We found a private owner off of RV Trader.

2003 Tiffin Allegro Bus 350 Cummins 2 slides.
Needs paint and vinyl but maintainance (with records) was excellent! Interior was dated but clean!

We made an offer considering the paint issues and bought it $10k below what NADA value.

It goes to paint Aug 5!

So look and be picky, get an inspection,. Don’t be afraid to go low!

Sincerely,

FryDaddy
Old 07-19-2018, 06:43 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbc View Post
WOW! Thanks for all the responses and good advice. I amin no hurry and will study well. Always helps to gather expert info from users like you guys. Anyone know the place in upper South Carolina that has the motorhomes?
I wouldn’t be afraid of older coaches, especially 90s thru 2004. Yes some systems may be obsolete but there are a ton of RV bone yards to pick from. Older models were well made and more simplistic in their operating systems. I have a 2000 Dutch Star DP and I haven’t had a problem one updating things or making improvements. As mentioned before a good manufacturer is the key. Good luck
Old 07-19-2018, 06:58 PM   #67

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cewarre View Post
Don't buy a Cummins older than 2004 because of the improvements (mainly common rail injection) that could save you lots of money in the long run. I wish I had known this before I bought a 2002 and spent hundreds on lift pump and injection problems that don't exist on the newer engines.
Or you could buy a rig with a newer engine and have it drop a valve in #6 like the Cummins ISX 650 and to a lesser extent the 600. Cost can run between $30,000 and $40,000 to fix with almost no contribution from Cummins
Check out the posts in Powertrain Garage/Cummins Engines forum.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:59 PM   #68

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cewarre View Post
Don't buy a Cummins older than 2004 because of the improvements (mainly common rail injection) that could save you lots of money in the long run. I wish I had known this before I bought a 2002 and spent hundreds on lift pump and injection problems that don't exist on the newer engines.
Really?......Don't lump all Cummins engines into one bucket....... there are major differences in size, designs and dependability..even in the year/model span you mentioned...
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
Old 07-19-2018, 07:00 PM   #69

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkio View Post
I would look for a Alpine, no longer made but we're well built and had the side radiator for better air flow and less road dust. It was one of the few that had steel wheel wells, not a big deal till you have a blowout then you will be glad it was steel!
My Country Coach has the DynoMax semi-monocoque chassis, side radiator and steel liners in the wheel wells.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:10 PM   #70

Reading a few of these responses especially about the Beaver line I have to completely disagree. We bought ours a year and a half ago and gone through it top to bottom. We have run into some issues but to date almost every one was able to be fixed reasonably and not once have I run into not being able to get the part I needed with some research.

Ours was a $296k coach in 2004. We paid 1/10th of that. Solid Cherry cabinets Corian counters top of the line everything a chassis that is way more than this coach needed. Being someone that does a lot of my own work I can tell you the quality is as good as any rig at twice the price out there. Beaver went way over and above with their builds and it shows.

One thing that has saved a lot for us is not going to a dealer. I have a friend that owns an excavation company that has a full time mechanic. Often he has just busy work for him so is looking to have someone to bring money in so I go to them. If you can find someone like this it is a lot cheaper.

To the Op like you when we went looking we thought we had to look anywhere but where we live turns out we found this gen two houses down from one of ours friends. I have been looking at it for years ad always liked it. We almost bought another coach when I said the DW I am going to see if they want to sell that coach we liked and sure enough we hit then just right.
Closed Thread

Tags
class a, diesel