Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2018, 05:37 PM   #127

Hi OP and welcome back.
I'd say get that machine. We bought a 2003 Journey in Feb 2017 for $41000 from a dealer 1300 miles away (sight unseen). They were asking $66995 but it was winter. We've owned 3 other mh's (all smaller) but the Journey handles better, turns sharper, easier to park, etc than any of the others we've had.
Think about it, I'm sure you'll love it and the dealer should shed 25 grand off the price too (winter and all)
dickb46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2018, 09:52 PM   #128

Price too high

Look at RV trader and other publications on price. I agree seems high. 2002 DP I got for $25000 with 40,000 miles
parkrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:21 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Your estimate of $3000 a year is a tad high. Over three years, our average is less than $800 for materials doing the work myself. It'd probably be double that if I took it to somewhere like Speedco to do the maintenance. Yeah, that's considerably higher than maintenance on a gas unit, but it's not prohibitive. Now, if you have a repair, then the sky is the limit!
I agree, it will 2 years of ownership this April have spent nearly nothing on maintenance other than filter and oil change on the genny (~$40). Nothing is due yet based on time and mileage. Not sure where this $3k average spend comes from.

-Kevin
Old 12-29-2018, 09:25 AM   #130

Well since the thread passed 10,000 views did the OP purchase a coach yet?
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:58 AM   #131

Spartan Chassis
Did not buy

If I remember correctly, about 3,000 posts earlier they told everyone they were not buying I thought that $3000 bill scared them off. I went from gas to diesel two years ago. Put about $50 into maintenance so far. :horse3
osull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:03 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Pretty amazing, huh? Apparently my op touched a nerve, of sorts, and got a bunch of folks to reach out!? We haven’t bought anything yet but are still talking about the possibility and have looked at s few units. However, we have not looked at the diesel unit the thread was/is about. It is still for sale on RV Trader so I assume it’s still available. It’s a private party sale, pretty local, and so far I’ve decided not to take the seller’s time until I’m serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osull View Post
If I remember correctly, about 3,000 posts earlier they told everyone they were not buying I thought that $3000 bill scared them off. I went from gas to diesel two years ago. Put about $50 into maintenance so far. :horse3
Not totally correct but 50/50 is ok. Maintenance costs have almost zero to do with the delay in moving on anything. We are still discussing the whole RV idea and if we do give it a go will buy what we think is the best starter, the unit that would make us happy and give us the best chance of getting hooked and staying with it. Even if we spend 1.5 million on something it could bring qualities and issues we dislike enough to make this venture not fun. I’d rather get what allows us to feel happy and relaxed now even if it means moving up or down a few miles down the road.

Still can’t thank everyone enough for their willingness to help and share.
kone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:13 AM   #133

Hi Kone,

I've just become aware of an interesting option. There are two RV rental sites where individuals rent their RVs. Outdoorsy and RVshare.

We bought our current 29' gasser 10 years ago for national forest land boondocking and to see the national parks. It has served us well and we have had a great time in it. But over time I've wanted to use it more and would like something smaller so I've been researching B+s. However my husband absolutely loves it for loops around CO. So we have been stuck in indecision land.

Then I looked at Outdoorsy and RVshare in Denver, Las Vegas and a couple of other areas. Turns out I can rent every unit I've been contemplating. From a straight class B called Sun Lite, some B+s such as Coach House Platinum, Leisure Travel Van, and even a short Diesel Pusher, or other short Class A gassers. Basically everything we've been considering is available for rent. I think this is a fantastic way for us to keep our RV while exploring if there is something that would suit us better.

I don't know where you live or what the inventory is but you could always fly into a city like Denver or Las Vegas for a rental as some (particularly in Las Vegas) are set up for people coming in from out of town.

Be prepared to fall in love. When we bought our RV and took our first trip to Yellowstone, Montana and Idaho I didn't want to come home. I could have just kept going! Since then most of our long trips have been limited to 2 weeks or so because my husband was working and it always felt like a race against the clock. Now that he is retired we can go at a more leisurely pace. I would love to try an open ended one like that. Our current RV is so perfect in many ways but it is getting old and I sort of want to enjoy a newer (but not brand new) one.

Just wanted to throw this option out there as it was something I was completely unaware of. You can shortlist the ones you are interested in and then rent them one at a time, refining your list as you go until you are sure if you want to pull the trigger.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:24 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
It always amazes me how these "opinion" posts seem to acquire a life of their own and continue long past their sell-by date and become tiresomely repetitive (why am I back here???)

I think the OP decided he didn't want to drive an RV in traffic.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:36 AM   #135

Except the OP is Kone and two posts before yours they said they are still thinking about it and looking at units.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:07 PM   #136

Older dp

Two years ago my husband and I went “looking” for a mid size motor home because he had always dreamed of owning a Winnebago. While we were looking at smaller and newer models, my eyes fell in love with a 38 ft Cross Country dp. We opted for a ride in it and never went back. It’s in our driveway. We’ve done a lot of research; know about the tires, etc. DH has tinkered and improved and it’s a joy. The dogs love it too😊.
Swingvoter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:02 PM   #137

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kone View Post
There’s an 06 Winnie Journey DP (36G) near me for sale ($68k obo). Meticulously cared for by ASE mechanic, looks like a real gem for someone but...Is that someone me (us)?

Retired couple, mid 50s, and dog want to try RVing mostly to see the US a few weeks at a time and see where it goes from there. Feel like we’d go somewhere, let’s say NM, move a time or two, head home, stopping along the way.

I have a very avg mechanical ability, however, and worry (borderline scared) that a class A, a diesel (or maybe even a travel trailer) might be too much of a reach. Maybe start with a 5er? Head is spinning while wife waits for it to stop and I decide.

Anyone been there? Any advice?

Kone,

I’ve had everything from a pop-up camper, TT, 5er and now dp class A. It’s an old 2001 Monaco Dynasty. I had 2 must haves, a diesel generator and a side radiator. The side radiator was for when that belt or hose broke or busted I could simply raise my engine deck and I’m staring at them. I’m not much of a mechanic either but I can take care of those. With a radiator in the way it’s not as easy.

Just something to think about.

Romr
ArkansasRomr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
starter