Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2018, 04:41 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
In case you missed it, the OP has decided not to buy an RV so I don't think he needs any more advice.
Many seem to be missing this. Over and over and over.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2018, 05:56 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
2012-Complete remodel $5000
(carpet/backsplashes/couches/shades/labrequins/light fixtures)
Had to "Google" that one (OK, actually used DuckDuckGo).

Lambrequin
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:59 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Many seem to be missing this. Over and over and over.
I noticed that too.

On the other hand, it may serve as a good starting point should anyone else have the same question - and understand the search tool for the site.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:32 PM   #116

Older DP as a starter unit

This will be my first response to a post and it comes from a bit of a different perspective. I am a retired Gen Mot engineer and avid vintage automobile collector. My wife has medical issues and cannot be in sun for long periods. Since I enjoy displaying my vehicles in classic car shows I felt a Class A motorhome that had the ability to handle a 24' enclosed trailer and a 6500lb vehicle and had the amenities to address my wife's special needs would address my issues well. (My only experience with a motorhome was a GMC rental in the late 70s). The intended use would then be perhaps 2 weekends a month throughout the show season and driving distances ranging to 400 miles. With that in mind, I found a 2002 Monaco Dynasty (Duke) 38' that my machinist had purchased new. The owner (83 yrs) had suffered a stroke some 4 years earlier and the machine had languished unused since then. The unit was meticulously maintained inside but the outside was badly in need of cleaning and detailing. We agreed on a price and I drove it home however, before doing so I sat down and considered the potential implications of purchasing an RV that had not seen use in several years. Knowing the owner was a professional and performed his own maintenance I was not overly concerned with that aspect especially since his record keeping was impeccable. My primary concern was since this unit was 16 years old the probability of a mechanical device failing was more likely. Additionally, because of the age there was a very good chance finding an original replacement part was not likely. Even things like entertainment systems. Electronic components nowadays are obsolete within a few years. TVs, stereos, DVD players, etc. are today very different than in 2002. Also, decorations become obsolete and change. Not everyone likes unusual window treatments. Essential components like rubber fuel lines suffer from enbrittlement and potential contamination. Diesel fuels have a very short pot life and can cause some very serious problems if not kept fresh.

I found I was faced with a steep learning curve that included the AquaHot system, air brakes, air ride, etc. I made it an absolute requirement to learn each and every system and device (which there are many).

The only other thing I want to mention here is my unit has no slides. I know there are many RVers that must have slides. In my case I did not feel the need. Again, the use was for weekends. Just remember, slides are complicated and require regular attention and from time to time, break. There is no doubt in my mind I did the right thing purchasing this unit especially since it fits nearly all my needs. I do my profession provides me the ability to make repairs. Many people perform their own maintenance. You can too if you desire. If not, be aware there are good people out there but also some that are less than honorable. Considering your statements I highly recommend a good and knowledgable motorhome expert to carefully inspect a unit you are considering. There is a lot of junk out there and the last thing you want to do is purchase someone else's problems. Good Luck and pick a winner!!!

Best Regards,

Derbyncrewe
2002 38' Monaco Dynasty (Duke)

Rolls-Royce Owners' Club - Motor Region
derbyncrewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 07:16 AM   #117

You are on track, in my experience

DW and I bought a 2004 Winnebago 32T 28000 miles in 2014 and couldn’t be happier with it. We made all the mods we wanted, right at the start (ie new tires, wooden laminate floors, flat screen tvs, inverter for 110v while going down the road, without needing to run generator). We took out an aftermarket service plan, for the first couple years which came in handy when we had to replace the turbocharger. Smooth sailing since then. We prefer the floorplan and features to most of the newer models which cost 10 times what we paid for it. No more service plan and no problems, either.
Touring Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerdutch View Post
While your head is spinning, evaluate the maintenance cost of a DP ,which can average 3000 a year if you dont have to replace tires. AND if you DONT need repairs.
If that doesnt scare you, you can afford it.
I agree 100% GAS is cheaper to maintain then a DP
however if the floor plan works and the price is right
Don't let the extra maintenance cost scare you away
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:18 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneffels View Post
So you "collect" DP issues over the years and provide them as negative advice in the forum? Good job!

Mr. sniffles...Tissue ?
Not negative advice sir, just the facts as I've read them, just the facts.

Happy Trails.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:12 AM   #120

After buying our DP a good friend of mine fell in love with the layout and the entire thought of being "Independent" from all the maintenance requirements of owning a home. He further went on to say that he was going to make an "Investment" into a DP himself. Being a long time friend I thought I owed to to him to explain two important factors based on the two key words he stated. 1- You need to rethink owning a DP relieves you of maintenance(my friend isn't the most proficient mechanic). I went on to say that although it may have tires rather a foundation, it still has a high demand for regular maintenance as does a house. 2- MH's are NOT an investment strategy. They are a very expensive and high maintenance TOY. Real estate is an investment. He looked at me like I had two heads after sharing my thoughts. Since, he has come back to me saying, "You were spot on", those things cost a lot and maintenance is just as high as a home. MH's are a great toy if the coach someone finds is reasonable in cost and condition AND you can do some basic maintenance. People are sometimes under the perception that you just put fuel in and go with no associated costs. Some are more concerned about changing drapes rather oil and filters. The wife and I will be using our MH until I can no longer climb underneath to pull the drain plug and do my own maintenance. At that point a small travel trailer will fit our lives. Until then, I love tinkering with all the latest technology we have installed updating our coach. Being an engineer, it satisfies my need to "make" things since I no longer do it for a living. I really miss designing and building things. Our coach is my sanity for now!
Merry Christmas to all
Old 12-23-2018, 07:31 AM   #121

Personal Preference

This gas vs DP debate reminds me of my history as a flight instructor, when there were endless disputes over which planes were better (eg high wing vs. low wing, retractable landing gear vs stiff legs, fixed pitch props vs. controllable pitch). For me, the bottom line is a matter of personal choices. There’s no right and no wrong. The choices that my wife and I made were based on creature comforts and performance. Yes, my diesel fuel is higher than gas, but I get better mileage and uphill speed with a 300hp turbo Cummins , while towing a 3500 lb vehicle, than my gas brethren who don’t tow. I enjoy having the engine 30 feet behind me, while driving, and the generator 30 feet in front of me, when sleeping. Can it cost more in msintenance? I’ve been told that it can, but so far I’ve enjoyed great quality of life, without huge expenses. That doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t have enjoyed a gas unit or staying in Holiday Inns, for that matter. Look for what you think you’ll enjoy, and take the plunge! If you want to try something different, then trade. An older unit which is caredfor, has already seen most of its depreciation. Have fun!
Touring Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:43 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by kone View Post
There’s an 06 Winnie Journey DP (36G) near me for sale ($68k obo). Meticulously cared for by ASE mechanic, looks like a real gem for someone but...Is that someone me (us)?

Retired couple, mid 50s, and dog want to try RVing mostly to see the US a few weeks at a time and see where it goes from there. Feel like we’d go somewhere, let’s say NM, move a time or two, head home, stopping along the way.

I have a very avg mechanical ability, however, and worry (borderline scared) that a class A, a diesel (or maybe even a travel trailer) might be too much of a reach. Maybe start with a 5er? Head is spinning while wife waits for it to stop and I decide.

Anyone been there? Any advice?
Winnebago has been around a very long time and you see very old ones that are still going down the road. Also Monaco makes some very good coaches. We have a Beaver we did full time for 3.5 years we are selling now due to our age. I have no problem with any of the older coaches. I do like the diesels better than gas for several reasons. One is safety, less volatile for fire. I like the torque of the diesel, big horsepower gas is enticing , but its the torque that get you up and over the hill. And they do not deduct for mileage on diesel coaches, so that tells something about longevity of the Diesel engines. If you want a beaver. Text me for more information. 435-862-9534
Anbocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 11:48 AM   #123

Dp maintance

Quote:
Originally Posted by znt1186 View Post
Agreed. I average around $1200 - $1500 per year having all chassis work done at Freightliner in Gaffney. Had almost $3,000 one year, but that was changing all fluids, belts, etc. on a new to me dp to set a baseline to go from so I would know that everything was up to date plus some extras.

Considering the Winnie, I would probably go for it, but that's just me. If you don't like it, you can always sell it later without a huge loss.
So brought my 2002 HR. Neptune 31 ft with 40k miles. My brother the mechanic said to do major service. Cummins 5.9, brought every filter, (5 ) oil, serpentine belt, radiator fluid change, radiator cap, and got it all at NAPA for less than $400. Unit had just had new tires. Owner just did a full brake job that I think he paid too much ($4k), Ride was OK but got 4 new Blistein for $400. Drove across country for 2 months put on 12,000 miles. Only had one problem, low radiator light came in found heater hose had rubbed a pin hole. Got 3 ft hose fittings and clamps $5 plus $20 coolant. Did replace engine battery just in case. Coach 12 volt 50 amp power unit did die, Amazon $100. Buy the Winnie that was my 2nd chkice
parkrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 05:29 AM   #124

Op (back) here!

First, thanks so much for all the responses! The willingness to share here is fantastic.

Second, for those of you that caught on pages ago that we(I) had decided that RVing (driving) wasn’t for us (me) I(she) has decided to reassess and rethink our(my) perhaps hasty decision based on a half-hour local drive one day.

Third, IF we(I) do anything I see us(me) starting smaller, or should I say more simple than a 36’ used diesel motor home. I think my tendency to take small steps helps with the stress and anxiety I often feel about these types of ventures. Not sure what, where, whatever that means or where we(I) go from here but at least the whole idea is back as an option.

Thanks again!
kone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:42 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touring Tom View Post
This gas vs DP debate reminds me of my history as a flight instructor, when there were endless disputes over which planes were better (eg high wing vs. low wing, retractable landing gear vs stiff legs, fixed pitch props vs. controllable pitch). For me, the bottom line is a matter of personal choices. There’s no right and no wrong.
Well, everyone knows that a high-wing, RG FP is the cats meow! In and out of ground effect quickly, slicker body = better airspeed, and FP has less to break.

Now, Continental or Lycoming? That's the real debate...….
Old 12-24-2018, 08:53 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by kone View Post
Op (back) here!

First, thanks so much for all the responses! The willingness to share here is fantastic.

Second, for those of you that caught on pages ago that we(I) had decided that RVing (driving) wasn’t for us (me) I(she) has decided to reassess and rethink our(my) perhaps hasty decision based on a half-hour local drive one day.

Third, IF we(I) do anything I see us(me) starting smaller, or should I say more simple than a 36’ used diesel motor home. I think my tendency to take small steps helps with the stress and anxiety I often feel about these types of ventures. Not sure what, where, whatever that means or where we(I) go from here but at least the whole idea is back as an option.

Thanks again!
I can only say that I (she) wanted an RV. My husband was not for it but agreed to check out anything I found. I think he was worried about the maintenance and driving something so big.

I (she) bought one. I am sort of done with it 8ish years later but my husband loves the RV. He absolutely refuses to give it up and would go on way more trips if the rest of our life wasn't getting in the way.

We did buy a cheap older one to minimize the investment and to keep the technology simple.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
starter