Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #15

Don't forget sales tax cost on a new purchase. In most states it is substantial, and you could use those funds to upgrade your current MH.

And.................Best of all..............you would actually GET SOMETHING for your money.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
Don't forget sales tax cost on a new purchase. In most states it is substantial, and you could use those funds to upgrade your current MH.

And.................Best of all..............you would actually GET SOMETHING for your money.
The sales tax will be on the cash difference outlayed. If the OP is selling his current rig and then buying the Newell then the sales tax issue would be much more than if he is trading his current unit on a new Entegra or SOB.

Some of the numbers being bandied about for depreciation on a new rig are way off base. For example, you can buy a new Berkshire for somewhere around $150,000. If you follow the logic posted by some on here that unit would be worth $90,000 day one off the lot. That is just simply not true. If you are looking at the difference between MSRP of $230,000 and the "used" value of say $140,000, then yes, you would have that 40% number, but the reality is that on a clean deal one (unless they just fell off the turnip truck) would be paying somewhere around MSRP less anywhere from 30-35%, depending on the dealer.

Good luck in your search. After all, the journey is half the fun....or so I'm told!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Remember that Newells are custom designed and built to an individual buyer's specifications. The quality of the materials and construction will be outstanding, but whether the design will have the features you want or need is an entirely different question.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #18

Yup, I agree. That's a valad point! The geatest coach available worthless if you feel the option list inadequate or floor plan not desirable.....

For the older high end coach (Newell) vs. new coach comparison to be valid, you have to be comparing coaches that would actually work for you!
Old 04-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Newell
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwcantor View Post
I'm sure this question has come up before, though I couldn't find it - what are your opinions on buying a Newell say 9-10 years old vs a brand new something else (Monaco, Tiffin, Entegra, etc) as they seem to be about the same money.
Truthfully, the wife wanted new, she found one she liked, so we bought new....

Happy wife happy life..

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Remember that Newells are custom designed and built to an individual buyer's specifications. The quality of the materials and construction will be outstanding, but whether the design will have the features you want or need is an entirely different question.
All true, but also note that you can take that same coach back to Newell and have them change or re-do almost anything (short of changing the physical dimensions of the coach or slides). In many instances they even "pre-wire" tv cables for places that the suspect the owner should have put a set in, but didn't.

As to the comment about seeing Newell coaches with higher mileage than typical ones, that's fairly easy. First, they're the choice of race car teams who travel tens of thousands of miles in a single year. Secondly, many Newell owners are retired or able to travel extensively. But there are also many, many Newells I've personally seen that have similar mileage (or less!) than a typical coach.

Mark
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
We had a 1996 Newell purchased new and owned it for 3 years. I had so many malfunctions that I would venture to say that virtually every trip I took something major happened. What is unique to Newell is that they have NO record of what they put in your coach. No online schematics, nothing. I have a 2006 Journey now and while they are completely different in style, I have not had the maintenance issues and when I want to something on my own, I can generally find the solution online. I think you are much better off with a production coach. When the manufacturer produces the same thing over and over again reliability improves. How many chases does Newell build in a year? Maybe 30-40. I'll take a Freightliner instead- they are made by the hundreds!!
B Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #23

New technology for the same price as 10 year old technology, hmmmm! I'm not saying one is better or worse than the other but it is certainly something to consider. I have read lots of posts about new coaches having lots of problems. We purchased ours new and after its first four month trip I have had exactly no problems and only one annoyance, have to periodically adjust the entry door bolt.
Our MH is not my hobby, it is a way to see the country, meet people, and enjoy each other. I can work on the MH as needed, it's just not my preferred way to spend my time.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote