Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #1

Older Newell vs Brand New MH

I'm sure this question has come up before, though I couldn't find it - what are your opinions on buying a Newell say 9-10 years old vs a brand new something else (Monaco, Tiffin, Entegra, etc) as they seem to be about the same money.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
newell i think would be better, quality wise
genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #3

I think a lot of that answer will depend on how much you think you'll be leaning on that new coach warranty?

How much work you're able/willing to do yourself?

I think MANY of us here would much rather have the higher quality coach, and are willing to do what it takes to go that way? It is a mindset though...
Old 04-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #4

Brand new something else , is going to drop 30>40% of $, in the first year.
Used unit 10>15%.
If the used unit suits your needs, & DW likes the floor plan. I'd say go for it . I went used and ,I do not regret it.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #5

Newell...hands down.

When I look at the newer production and compare it to my 15 year old American Eagle...there is no comparision.

Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #6

New coach with all the modern stuff factory installed & factory warranty.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Newell all the way.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #8

You already have one of the best 7 year old coaches you can get. I would think you would not gain much going to a 9 year old Newell. Unless there is something wrong with your coach I would wonder why you would want to change.

And of course the right answer for you is, buy the one you and your wife like the best.

We have looked at a number of Newells. The interior of the ones we have seen so far have not been our taste. We like subtlety and the Newells we have seen have been Vegas.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #9

If you can afford the cash, your best deal will always be on an older coach even if you have to spend a lot to fix it up. After all, at the top end, just driving it off the lot will cost you, what, 75 grand?

but if you already have a 2006, I'd argue, just upgrade and improve what you've already got. You already know where the warts are and probably addressed the biggest ones.

Steve
Old 04-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
You already have one of the best 7 year old coaches you can get. I would think you would not gain much going to a 9 year old Newell. Unless there is something wrong with your coach I would wonder why you would want to change.

And of course the right answer for you is, buy the one you and your wife like the best.

We have looked at a number of Newells. The interior of the ones we have seen so far have not been our taste. We like subtlety and the Newells we have seen have been Vegas.
My own situation is we are still working and have been able to travel very little - and hopefully that is going to change in the next year and we will become full-timers or close to it. Two things bring up the question: 1) New coaches have side view cameras, Bluetooth and HD TV's, better sound systems, navigation, satellites, etc, and warranties. 2) I see Prevosts and Newell's with hundreds of thousands of miles on them, but seldom see 'regular' motorhomes with more than 50-60K on them. I wonder what the reason is for that. Also, unfortunately, TS is out of business and over the long term I worry about parts - even mundane things like door latches, slide out parts, headlights, etc being available. Just trying to get other opinions - but you may be right, thanks for the perspective.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Regarding parts like door latches, headlights and such, I would venture to guess that such parts were made by someone other than Foretravel. As such, they can be found with a little searching. My coach is an orphan as well and the Alpine Coach forum has been great for a number of fixes for a lot of us owners. Also the other irv2 forums have folks that seem to be able to find anything as well, no matter how rare or unusual.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Newell makes a very very fine coach, I've been to the factory. However, they are too glitzy for me, they are over the top with fancy 'stuff.' You can get a great deal (percentage off) on a new top quality coach, that's what I'd do.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #13

I've been wondering the same thing ... new Entegra vs. old Newell. But I agree, the "glitz" in the Newell is not my style. If I could just take their chassis & structure and put Entegra on the inside, I think we'd have something nice!
Jake62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post

Faced with the same question, our plan is to keep our very well built TS, and upgrade it. Just came from MCD where we had shades put in front to rear. Next up is a res fridge. All four TV's have been upgraded, and we will keep improving it as we go. We looked at getting a new Entegra, and chose this route instead. Good luck in whatever you decide.