Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2016, 11:09 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Older RV updates

Our good friends just purchased a new-used coach that gave the DW a bit of envy. We were talking about trading in our 12-year old coach (two years with us) and starting looking around. There's nothing about our coaches layout we don't like, I love the powertrain and options, and except for some worn interior and exterior finishes we'd keep it.

As we talked further we realized that we're over $50k to the good compared with our friends. That could cover a lot of upgrades and modifications to a coach that otherwise is perfect for us.

Question: does anyone have any experience with extensive updates to a 10 year old coach? I'm talking flooring, cabinets, furniture, paint, etc. Better to do it all as one job or spread it out among several vendors?

TIA for any and all suggestions.

Lyman
lymanlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2016, 11:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymanlouis View Post
Our good friends just purchased a new-used coach that gave the DW a bit of envy. We were talking about trading in our 12-year old coach (two years with us) and starting looking around. There's nothing about our coaches layout we don't like, I love the powertrain and options, and except for some worn interior and exterior finishes we'd keep it.

As we talked further we realized that we're over $50k to the good compared with our friends. That could cover a lot of upgrades and modifications to a coach that otherwise is perfect for us.

Question: does anyone have any experience with extensive updates to a 10 year old coach? I'm talking flooring, cabinets, furniture, paint, etc. Better to do it all as one job or spread it out among several vendors?

TIA for any and all suggestions.

Lyman

Our coach is 13 years old now. 5 years ago we spent a month in the Elkhart, IN, area having an extensive interior remodel done. This included the following:
1. Flooring from the firewall to the rear closet.
2. New solid cherry credenza with electric fireplace.
3. New queen size sleeper sofa.
4. Residential refrigerator.

At other times, we up dated the TVs & some other small remodel type projects. We love the changes we have made over the years and are completely happy with our coach. We have lived full time in our coach for 9 years now.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:39 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Lyman, we bought our coach in 2014, it was 12 at the time. We for the most part liked the interior layout. We found out there was a J lounge that was missing and replaced with a chair just sitting in its place. I removed the chair and ordered a double recliner with fold down center arm rest from shop4seats.com and seat belt kits. I did the install myself. I also removed the Norcold refrigerator and replaced it with a residential front TV with a LED smart TV. Our last coach I replaced all of the flooring and carpet repaired a bunch of broken cabinets and broken jackknife couch, TV's hot water heater to tankless. We have been pleased with the dependability of the older powertrain vs. new technology and to be able to alter it for our needs rather than the way an engineer thought it should be laid out. You just need to begin with a coach from a quality company and a unit that was properly taken care of.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:58 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I'd update in a heartbeat if I liked my floorplan and in good mechanical order. You might consider repair and paint for the cabinets. I've seen some that were painted and they looked really nice but it's a matter of preference. Flooring and furniture should be pretty easy to change out. New graphics can make the outside look like new or repainting stripes if you have full body paint.
tinstar 1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:56 AM   #5

We bought our 2006 coach in 2012 and have upgraded it extensively. Very happy with end result.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:40 AM   #6

Lots and lots and lots and lots of threads on updating older rv's. Like others said if you like the floor plan and the drive train no reason to buy something else.
Check the owners forum for you coach (if there is one on here) and spend a little time checking out what others have done. This will also give you some really good ideas.
Let us know what you decide and how it turns out
Old 08-05-2016, 07:44 AM   #7

Bought my coach new in 2000. It is an American Dream. In 2011, I had it painted. Put in New carpet, New TVs, took out the two couches. Put in two leather LaZBoy recliners, had the driver chair and passenger chair and dinette chairs recovered, and all the valances recovered. Looks like a new coach inside and out. I am on to way to have a residential fridge installed. Now I want new awnings and drapes. Love the floor plan and am keeping until I die!
TedToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:52 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We bought a 16 year old coach this year. It's in immaculate condition for a coach that old, but it's still 16 years old and can use some updating. We have spent this first year doing all the service and will start upgrading the interior as money becomes available. It's well worth the investment if you have a quality platform to start with and you'll spend a lot less than you will on a newer coach.

Our cabinets are fine so we're looking to replace the flooring and refrigerator and having the sleeper sofa recovered. I think I'm going to replace the fabric window treatments with a wooden frame and crown molding to match the cabinets.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:12 AM   #9

We're also in the crowd that have gone the upgrade route with what we considered a 'good foundation' of a coach! Feel we've accomplished two things by doing so: 1) Updated the coaches electronics, cabinets, seating, valances, painted older looking wall paper, swapped out bass for nickel hardware and lighting, led conversation, upgraded battery bank to 800AH of Lifeline's, 1200W of Solar Panel, wifi and cellular amps and antennas, bus kote on roof, MS2812 PSW replaced older unit, etc. - This made the coach 'our coach', set up the way we like. (And we still have three major upgrades to go!) And 2) We feel we saved quite a bit of money, vs moving to a newer coach.

As far as how and where? Well lots depends on if you have good shops near you, then doing changes during the off season can be done without impacting your usage. Having the coach close by, you can stop in and review progress and help make decisions that come up along the way. IMO, if you have a shop in the area that has a good reputation, go with them do do the bulk of the work. On a bigger job, their is economy of scale in play, and sometimes a deal can be made that would give you a discount. Paint would probably be an exception, but some shops can cover this for you too.

Getting it done, and out of the way, with one mess (And for sure, their will be a mess afterwards, regardless of how well then shop tries to keep things clean, it never seems to be clean enough for my DW!). One downside, is if you were to break it up into phases, you may find over time and completing a phase - that you change your mind along the way on what it is you want done. So phases allows for more usage and the ability to change your mind as one phase completes...

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:59 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Pretty much what we've been thinking.

One that's weighing heaving on my mind is the headliner. Theres several spots that have failed at the edges and it's certain that more will in time. Any suggestions for replacing this vinyl? Ideas about process, materials, and good shops are welcome.

Thanks!
lymanlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymanlouis View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Pretty much what we've been thinking.

One that's weighing heaving on my mind is the headliner. Theres several spots that have failed at the edges and it's certain that more will in time. Any suggestions for replacing this vinyl? Ideas about process, materials, and good shops are welcome.

Thanks!
I see you are from OR. We had our coach redone by a company in Spokane, WA a few years ago. I can say they did an excellent job and were really good to work with. Their business is updating older coaches and they are very good at it. Attached is a link to our remodel.

RV Remodeling | Custom RV Remodeling & Repair @ Truline RV