Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #15

I have a good friend that owns Augusta RV and he swears ( in a good way) about Holiday Ramblers. Says they are well built and easy to service.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclv View Post
It really depends upon what you want to do with it, how much time you will spend in it and how well you get on in confined spaces.

For a 2 week vacation a couple of times a year, a no-slide unit is just fine - for a 6 month trip for 2 you need at least a front slide.,... or a Wide Body and 40'
Got a wide body, spent every weekend, and 2 years on the road without, I will admit, I got a great layout for no slide

May just be never grew up with a slide, the extra room is nice, got plenty of friends with them, but to each their own

Old 05-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #17

That Residency is one of the nicest wide body no-slide layouts I ever looked at. Nearly bought one a year or so ago from Vegas. With the 3 windows opposite the J lounge it was really nice to spend time in.

The only problem (for me) is that I spend a lot of time in 100F plus and it would have been hard to cool down with that much glass. Nice rig though.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #18

I have a 94 Holiday Rambler Navigator DP. While I did have to catch up on some maintenance needs after purchase, it's a solid coach. I would definitely buy another Holiday Rambler product.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
That Residency is one of the nicest wide body no-slide layouts I ever looked at. Nearly bought one a year or so ago from Vegas. With the 3 windows opposite the J lounge it was really nice to spend time in.

The only problem (for me) is that I spend a lot of time in 100F plus and it would have been hard to cool down with that much glass. Nice rig though.
Thanks

I have limo black on all windows and the awning always out, both roof airs do seem to keep it cool, but 1 ain't worth a hoot. If ever need for replacement, I will get rid of twin 13,500's and get twin 15,000

But Dad always said Beggers cant be Choosers, and I seem to live by that now a days
Old 05-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I suppose my next MH will have a slide(s), but it is not something on my gotta have list. All the sites I have visited on-line don't show any floor plans without a slide(s). My wife and I consider the dinnette booth worthless and may "harvest" that area for a small 2 chair table set.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #21

If your budget can afford it you might consider looking at some motorhomes a few years newer. The ones you've mentioned so far are not the "wide body" design. Meaning the front wheels are closer to being in line with the inside dual tire. On the "wide body" design the front wheels are more closely aligned to the outer rear dual.

The wide body makes handling (especially under windy condidions and with passing trucks) a lot more stable. You can always add sway bars, trak bars, new shocks, and the like, to the older design but it's going to cost some money to do it.

There was a post earlier from a woman who bought a 2000 Winnebago Adventurer with 56,000 miles for around $14,000. That model not only has the wider design, but also has the fuel injected V10.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #22
XLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
If your budget can afford it you might consider looking at some motorhomes a few years newer. The ones you've mentioned so far are not the "wide body" design. Meaning the front wheels are closer to being in line with the inside dual tire. On the "wide body" design the front wheels are more closely aligned to the outer rear dual.

The wide body makes handling (especially under windy condidions and with passing trucks) a lot more stable. You can always add sway bars, trak bars, new shocks, and the like, to the older design but it's going to cost some money to do it.

There was a post earlier from a woman who bought a 2000 Winnebago Adventurer with 56,000 miles for around $14,000. That model not only has the wider design, but also has the fuel injected V10.
This is helpful to consider. I had not thought of the "wide body" before regarding handling. From your post, it seems I can judge wide body by the placement of the front tires relative to the rear duallys (or even the front fender).

All comments have been really helpful...so thanks all and any more comments welcome.

Regarding my budget, honestly one main issue has been financing. Essex/Good Sam, my credit union and others want 7 MYs or newer on purchases, which prices me out of what I want; so I have to go older (and cheaper) to afford the out-of-pocket cost. Such as it is. I'll keep looking.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLI View Post
This is helpful to consider. I had not thought of the "wide body" before regarding handling. From your post, it seems I can judge wide body by the placement of the front tires relative to the rear duallys (or even the front fender).

All comments have been really helpful...so thanks all and any more comments welcome.

Regarding my budget, honestly one main issue has been financing. Essex/Good Sam, my credit union and others want 7 MYs or newer on purchases, which prices me out of what I want; so I have to go older (and cheaper) to afford the out-of-pocket cost. Such as it is. I'll keep looking.
The term wide body can be a little confusing. My 1996 MH is a wide body 100 or 102 inches wide, previously 96 was the norm. However; my MH is built on the earlier Ford F53 chassis design that changed in 1999. My chassis has the wheels well within the side perimeters of the body. The 1999 and newer Fords have larger tires and a wider front axle. This probably gives some handling advantages but I certainly am not uncomfortable with the handling on mine. Wide body is a term for body width regardless of chassis design.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A "wide body" motorhome is a term that originated in the late 80's and more popularized in early 90's, as said above to designate a rig that was 102" and not 96" wide, even though in the early/mid 80's Prevost had a 102" body, the term "wide body" had not been used. A lot of manufactures in the late 90's early 2000 went down to 100" wide, due to some stink that originated over course in California about the mirrors/awnings/etc making a 102" body technically over the 102" width limitations

I think the term better used for the newer chassis with a wider front track would be a wide track or stance
Old 05-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post
A "wide body" motorhome is a term that originated in the late 80's and more popularized in early 90's, as said above to designate a rig that was 102" and not 96" wide, even though in the early/mid 80's Prevost had a 102" body, the term "wide body" had not been used. A lot of manufactures in the late 90's early 2000 went down to 100" wide, due to some stink that originated over course in California about the mirrors/awnings/etc making a 102" body technically over the 102" width limitations

I think the term better used for the newer chassis with a wider front track would be a wide track or stance

well stated
Old 05-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #26

Quote:
The only thing I found when searching was that I had to kiss a lot of frogs before I found my princess! Definitely 'Buyer Beware' at that price point and you need an experienced RVer with you when checking them out. Be prepared to wait for the right one.
I can't comment on motorhomes as I prefer a 5th wheel, but I can comment on frogs.

There are lots and lots and lots of frogs out there!

SearchTempest allows you to search all of the 417 craigslist's nationwide.

SearchTempest uses Google to search - so your search terms are much like you would use on Google.

My strategy was to do a search for the brand I wanted with a time limit of 7 days. Then after a couple days of this, I narrowed the search to just 2 days, thus the search would only bring up the newer ads.

I have located an older 5th wheel that I'll have to travel about 650 miles to see. But it's for sale by the original owner and has been sparsely used since new - mostly by winter Texans going from their home in the snow belt to Mission TX. South in November and north in March.

This man is meticulous in his record keeping and I am confident that when I inspect the trailer I will find no major negative conditions or deferred maintenance 'gotcha's'.

IMO this is the sort of rig you need to look for - a one owner being sold by the owner who was/is more than a bit anal retentive about maintenance and record keeping.

Older rigs without detailed documentation are a trap waiting to spring on the unsuspecting.

Oh, one other point. 'Stuff' wears out through use or age. Be prepared to repair/replace any and all items on the rig. DIY is cheapest of course.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:15 AM   #27

Forest River Owners Club
You are doing the right thing. Get plenty advice, but make sure that the person giving advice has " Been there done that " and started out as a lot of us had with an older MH and learned from mistakes. Only those persons will know the hidden traps. It is one thing to buy " new " and another to learn from experience.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:41 AM   #28
VP

XLI - As with "location" in real estate, with RV's it is all about "condition". Buy one with all the bells and whistles but in poor poor condition, and you will be saddled with the proverbial money pit. Once you find what you are certain is the one and only perfect rig for your intended use, BEFORE you hand those $$ over have it professionally inspected by a well known appraiser/inspector (NOT the selling dealer if you go through one!). They will charge you $200-$300 but provide a detailed listing of issues that will need fixing. A picture disk is often provided. Not only does a detailed "punch list" provide excellent bargaining horsepower, but that $300 up front peace-of-mind investment could save you many thousands down the road!

I inherited my parents 89' Southwind MH several years ago. Do a search of iRV2 to find a post from 5/12 where I detailed what my $5K in upgrades and fixing accomplished. Since then I have put $1600 in new tires on the coach and I still have issues. No coach is perfect, none! But if it accomplishes what YOU want without costing you an arm and a leg, then it was a pretty good buy. Good luck in your search!