Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #29
Forest River Owners Club
Older RV

My wife and I bought our first MH 4 years ago. We were lucky to find one in great mechanical condition. However, I am sure that because of the build quality and materials, you never know what you will find down the road. It could get really costly if you need a lot of work done. I do most all of it myself, but it is easy to spend thousands of dollars. This experience has taught me what I would look for next time:
1. No Chinese tires or out of date tires.
2. No, delamination or leaks on exterior or roof.
3. Air conditioner conditioner operates good.
4. Leveling system operates without problem.
5. And of course, compression check and oil samples.
We were lucky from what I heard. Items 1-2-3-4 only ten grand with me doing the labor.
Lesson learned. Now that it is perfect, it is great.
Warning !! watch out for MH whose former owners or owners spent lots of money on " Silicone" sealant and smeared it on everything. They must have had lots of leaks

Free Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #30
Hopefully not poor form to bump this thread and say I'm in the same boat as the OP. We had a 2000 30' Coachmen Leprechaun class c for about a year and a half before selling it due to a combo of personal reasons and a bad leak and flat tire on our last trip out. We used it enough to figure out that we love to rv and also that not having a slide makes the interior small quick when you are stuck inside due to weather. Not so bad with just me and my wife but add our 130 pound lab who can't figure out where he's most comfortable to the mix and things start to get tense.

We like the class c but feel the cab area ends up being mostly wasted. Swivel seats in class c's seem to be a more recent development so most models are more than I want to spend - so I've been looking at older A's in the shorter lengths, between 30-35. Winnebago Brave and GB Pursuit have some nice floor plans. I really would prefer a living room slide and a bedroom slide with a sideways bed as it seems they allow for 80" mattress. I'm 6'3" and the shorter mattress is annoying.

I need a bigger net though or I feel like I'm never going to find a decent coach. Based on this thread it looks like HR is a good brand to look at quality wise? Any others?

I saw a Brave listed that had a brand new roof and both new roof air conditioners - wonder what the story is there? Drove under something too low and ripped them off? Is a roof fiberglass roof replacement "normal" or something to run away from?

sodface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #31
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would go with the 1997 Holiday Rambler: 32CG, Ford;32000 miles.
It would be an F53 with all the improvements to the E4OD so the transmission would be stronger than a 1994 an older E4OD.
You would still have the good 460 (7.5L) engine than that newer V10.
You would also still have the OBD-1 EEC-IV Ignition system so it would be easy to find any problems.

And what is wrong with Coachmens?

1995 COACHMEN Santara 350FL on a 1994 Ford F53
subford is offline   Reply With Quote