Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2016, 04:13 PM   #1

Oldie But Goodie

I have a 1996 29 ft Rexhall, which I bought about 4 years ago. It has a 5500 Generac generator. I run the generator with only one air-conditioner running and after 3 hours or so the power from the generator kicks off, Generator continues to run. I shut the generator down and wait a few minutes and start the generator up and after a few minutes the power comes back on and I can run the air again After this happened I did't continue to run the air and I shut everything down, so I don't know if the power will again go off after a time. Yesterday while testing it the 30 amp circuit breaker went off when the power went down. Today when it happened after running for 3 hours the circuit breaker did not click off but the power stopped. Someone told me that the circuit breaker or panel might have to be replaced but to the best of my memory yesterday was the first time the circuit breaker clicked off. Last year I replaced the voltage regulator and adjusted it to the correct voltage. I know by reading the generators manual I should be able to run both air-conditioners but I would be happy to have one available( I live here in South West Florida). When I hook up to a external 30 amp power the one air-conditioner works for days if I want it to. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.
aquaholictom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2016, 04:25 PM   #2

Sounds like a thermal problem where the breaker may be opening up without actually tripping the actuator. Can you connect to another output on the generator to come out through a different breaker? If not, I'd replace the breaker to see if that fixes it. If not, it may be a problem with the actual electrical generator heating up and failing. Their literature doesn't indicate they have a thermal cutout built into the generator itself, but they might. Make sure that the whole rig is getting sufficient cooling air as well.

Good luck.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:27 PM   #3

thanks

Thanks, If the generator overheated wouldn't the generator stop running?
aquaholictom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:50 PM   #4

In this case, I was referring to the electrical portion of the generator. Should have made that more clear. If the engine overheated, it might shut off; I don't know what kind of thermal protection it has. What I was referring to was the same kind of protection some motors have in that if the windings get too hot, there is a thermal cutout that shuts off the current. The engine in your case would keep turning. The other place is that the circuit breakers might be getting hot enough to open but not always trip the handle. Hope this helps.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote