Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
Omega slideout cover - Carefree of Colorado

I'm looking for pictures of a Omega slide out cover from Carefree of Colorado. It's the one that has tubular brackets that look like a question mark. My spring broke and I unrolled the cover but the fabric doesn't look like what Carefree said it should. This type of slide out cover also extends out to be an awning for the windows. I told Carefree that I never extended it out for that but they said it should have the ruffle on it like a standard awning would have. This one had enough fabric for a regular awning, not just for a 3 ft. slide out but also hangs down almost 5 more ft. That makes it 8 ft. long. Looks like someone switched the fabric.

I don't think this is the original slide out cover as there are 3 extra holes on each end of the slide out that shows that something else was bolted up there. I also have all the original books and paperwork that came from Itasca and it shows a different slide out cover.

Anyone know how to change replace the spring? I've install a bunch of garage door torsion springs so I know how to wind up the spring and Carefree sent me the number of turns it takes but they didn't send me anything on how to replace the spring.

Thanks, John
1996 Itasca 34' Suncruiser, 454 TBI, 2012 Wrangler Unlimited toad

jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
#4 in this section shows a picture. I don't like the design cause you have to get it just right, until you get tension on it.

jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #3

type in (carefree of colorado omega) in your search engine, then pick your subject of interest.

2003 Safari Sahara 38MPV, ISC350, Alison 6-speed, 3 slides.
JimandWanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
I guess I should have been more specific. I've already talked to Carefree of Colorado, down loaded all their pdf pages off their site and searched online for information and pictures.

What I'm looking for is actual pictures of an Omega slide out cover installed on a motorhome in the extended position to see what it looks like and how far it extends out to also be the window awning.

The cover installed on my Omega measures out to be a regular 8 foot awning. The question shape brackets actually hang straight down and the fabric hangs down even further. The fabric should only allow the question shaped brackets to come away from the slide out at about a 45 deg angle not hang straight down at 180 deg.

If someone has this type of slide out cover, please extend your slide and take a picture for me.

Thanks, John
Old 06-28-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Mine comes down to about a 90 degree angle. I like the Omega because it serves as a window awning AND when extended down for window awning it keeps tension on the awning and I don't get "awning sag" from rain like the "toppers" do. I don't understand why Carefree discontinued that model.
2010 Phaeton QTH 40'
2013 GMC Sierra Crew Cab pickup 4X4
Recon, D,2/7, 1st Cav '65
Acker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:46 AM   #6
When one comes in I can, but Acker is right. The Omega brackets (combine them together, and they look like an Omega) come down to a 90* angle to the room and then the straps hook to the anchors.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I have a carefree Omega awning installed on my Monaco knight. Currently this disassembled to replace the spring. The fabric needs to be sewn back on their ends which are the beads. This work will be done in a nearby upholstery.
The total measurement of the awning extended is 64 ", of which 36" are for the slide out and the rest for the extension of the window.
I already bought the spring and I have the information to place myself.
I am including photos found online of this awning extended and also removal and install info
If you need more information do not hesitate to message me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	df4.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	45896   Click image for larger version

Name:	df8.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	45897  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Carefree_omega_slide_awning_Removal.pdf (118.9 KB, 159 views)
2006 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40E Diesel Pusher 400HP
2013 Honda CRV AWD
Adaisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and just bought a standard slide out cover as we never extended the omega out to be the window awning anyway.