Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-28-2014, 02:10 PM   #15
There are a couple places I can not fit but there are always other options. Much more room and a tag make driving a joy.

42' Foretravel U320

24' Bornfree
John S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #16
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I would NOT like to trade my 45 foot for a 38 foot. I really like the extra space, both living and storage and has been stated, the ride is so much better with the tag.

FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like David In Or is a retired firefighter. He is probably more qualified to drive a 45 footer than most of us.

David - buy the 45 footer. Do the due diligence. Ask for the maintenance records for the coach. There are threads on this website that extol the virtues of purchasing used MH. They claim the reduced price and the punch list cleared are a few of many virtues for an older coach.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:34 PM   #18
I say look at the winner 33B. If like mine it will have 6 BATS and all the bells, whistles and comfort of a 38' 40' or even a tag.
milburi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:13 PM   #19
Go with the 38. You can find a good one on the cheap. Get a low mileage one, and try to find one that is being sold by private parties. Good luck
2004 Newmar Kountry Star Diesel Pusher, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 4 Viszla's .
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:16 PM   #20
Originally Posted by milburi View Post
I say look at the winner 33B. If like mine it will have 6 BATS and all the bells, whistles and comfort of a 38' 40' or even a tag.
You are joking, right? The 33B lacks most of the amenities that people look for in a 40-45' coach. You apparently have never driven a tag coach for 5-600 miles in a day to think the 33B is as good or as comfortable.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:33 AM   #21
Tiffin Owners Club
Living in Oregon you will not need an additional license. Just traded my 40 for a 45. Drives and handles much better. Whatever you buy make sure the floor plan is what meets your needs. We would not live without certain things like king bed, washer dryer etc. Good luck
Oregon Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:24 AM   #22
Monaco Owners Club
Hey! Don't worry about your age (67). I'm 75, soon to be 76 and have no trouble getting around in my 45' Monaco. We traded up from a 40' Beaver Marquis and have never regretted it. The 45' ride is so much better and we love the extra room.

You will find that some of the "Big Rig Friendly" campgrounds are a bit tight, but we've never been without a place to stay.
Monaco 2004 Signature 45' Castle IV Detroit 60
Towing 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:35 AM   #23
Originally Posted by david in or View Post
I would like to buy a motor coach, however there is a problem money. Basically I have a beer budget with champagne taste. I have found one that I could live with but it's a 45ft, a very nice coach, I have been told by some people that it would be better to stay under 40. That would be nice but the coaches I like at 38ft are way out of my budget. I don't want to buy and be sorry, do I need to save more or what are comments on a 45ft. I've hear spaces are hard to find to rent, trouble finding parks that allow 45's, I don't believe I'd have a problem driving a 45 since I use to drive a ladder truck. But I am ten years older now (67), you know how that goes. I would appreciate your comments and knowledge, a little wisdom would be great also. THANKS, Dave
You have more than one issue going on in your post. Having read all of the comments, there is some wisdom there for you. RVing isn't just one thing. My cousin had two Dynastys and belonged to several campground memberships. But the chances of us running into my cousin in a campground were slim to none. We camped at state and federal parks mainly away from cities. So, there are lots of different camping styles grouped under RVing. Your task is to decide which type you would likely be doing mostly, and then choose the size & type coach from there. For someone to say they never had trouble parking a 38' motorhome tells me they camp differently from us. Neither is right or wrong, just is. Once you go above a certain size and weight, there is no jacking up, using boards underneath the wheels to level a site. Motorhomes can only go up, there is no going down to level the rig, as with a trailer. The big coaches are designed for paved parking that is already pretty near level. The airbags and/or jacks are really meant to stabilize the rig and not to make up for an unlevel site. That said, tag axles certainly afford a better/smoother ride and lots of room. They are more expensive to buy and maintain. IMHO right now the best bang for the buck is a used Monaco Coach. That would be 09 or older. Avoid the RR4R chassis, but the 8 and 10 bag semi monocoque chassis made by MCC Roadmaster give an awfully good ride and are only surpassed by what I call the super coaches, like a Prevost, Foretravel, etc for lots more money. Monaco still has parts availability and is now owned by ASV, the parent company of Fleetwood, having been bought from Navistar. The MCC Coaches are still around and most are fine units, includes Monaco, Holiday Rambler, Safari, Beaver and are pretty reasonably priced. Buy right and it will be worth keeping/maintaining Good luck.
Frank W. 09 Cayman
Lake City, Florida
flynnwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #24
Bought a Newmar 43' Mountain Aire last October love it but you really con not compare it to a Monaco It rides great w/ the tag wish it was 45'King Aire or a Essix Go with the 45 with the tag.
myliladog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:27 PM   #25
Well stated flynnwalter.

2003 Alpine Coach 40MDTS - 400HP Cummins ISL
Can Am Spyder Roadster
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote