Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #15
Solo Rvers Club
I guess I am lucky. I have 3 air valves right behind my front bumper that I a supposed to bleed periodically. I noticed they are all threaded, so I bought a kwik connect and a 50ft air hose. And an air hose attachment/accessory kit. RUH RUH RUH!

Then when I need to air up the large tires or blow out the water system for winterizing, I just fire up the engine (not during quiet time) and I have constant air supply without having to bleed brake air. It airs up the large tires in minutes and I am careful not to let the pressure get over 50lbs when winterizing.

Gary-Full time since 2/2011
2004 Country Coach Inspire 360 with a 14,000 lb car hauler for AMG Benz
Startech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #16
the electricity being mentioned as no pollution?? well we have the coal plants that make that electricity....kinda reminded me of asking a woman on the east coast big city and really never been around ...the question was were does milk come from....the store of course.....ha...no bashing intended of course just humor

' Had a London Aire..350hp sparton chassis... with all the good stuff from the time.. Just traded for a 2007 Alfa gold!! ya and picked up yesterday 9-24-16
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I hesitated to buy a DP because the fumes produced by a diesel are so bad for me. I can't even ride behind a diesel car, truck or bus without my lungs closing up. I have COPD, and I just close my vents when doing so. I really dislike the fueling up at truck stops, but I have little choice.

I could just imagine sitting outside eating or relaxing under my awning and someone decides to air up their mattress or tires. I'd have to get out of there in a hurry.,or as fast as I could while dragging my oxygen behind me. I'd have to stay away until the fumes dissipated.

Someone using their electric compressor would not force me to vacate. The amount of pollution generated by the amount of electricity used by a compressor pales in comparison to the pollutants spewed out by starting one of these rigs. Fortunately, I am 40 feet ahead of my tailpipe or I would not be able to drive my RV. I really look forward to the day when these rigs run on natural gas.

Please don't take this posting as being judgmental, I just wanted to let some of you that didn't know what effect the diesel exhaust has on some people.
40 FT--330HP CAT
2 SLIDES-TOAD 2012 focus
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #18
I totally understand the virtue/advantage of using the onboard air compressor for "airing-up" various things including the 22.5 tires. In fact, we use the MH air for our bike tires all the time (albeit we do not need to start the MH).

However, we use an electric compressor for our air tools, our toad & our MH tires. Why? Just courtesy & I personally dislike the noise & smell of our engine diesel.

From my experience it can take between 5-10 min to properly check each tire and add/subtract air if needed...(6 tires x 10min)....add to this the time to "air-up" the suspension & fill the brake tanks....cycling of the compressor as you pump the brakes or bleed the pressure....add to this 4 tires on our toad....and you've had your diesel engine disturbing everyone in the CG for close to or more than an hour.

I just feel this is way too long to idle my diesel and is insensitive to my CG neighbors. If I was going to adopt this method for airing-up my MH tires, I'd check my pressures at the CG and note the various adjustments required. I would then drive to the nearest parking lot and idle the engine diesel as long as necessary to get rhenium done right.

BTW..in almost 2yrs on the road we have never had anyone air-up their tires using their diesel next to us...in fact we never see anyone even checking tire pressures! I, on the other hand, check ours before every departure, but seldom need to add air.

Whatever works for you....just please don't air-up your tires using your MH compressor next to us...you can borrow my electric compressor...it doesn't get enough use as is!
Jack & Maggie
04-Rexhall Roseair (37)
Cummins ISC / Spartan
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:59 AM   #19
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
... From my experience it can take between 5-10 min to properly check each tire and add/subtract air if needed...(6 tires x 10min)....add to this the time to "air-up" the suspension & fill the brake tanks....cycling of the compressor as you pump the brakes or bleed the pressure....add to this 4 tires on our toad....and you've had your diesel engine disturbing everyone in the CG for close to or more than an hour.

I just feel this is way too long to idle my diesel and is insensitive to my CG neighbors. ...
I actually really appreciate this discussion. The quote above and many of the other thoughtful points made regarding the potential extent of disturbance and discomfort to fellow CG residents make a good case for not firing up the DP engine. I like the Sears compressor discussed above: I will look at getting one soon.
- 2012 Fleetwood Expedition 36M -
MN_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #20
Country Coach Owners Club
I have one of those sears 6 gallon pancake compressors to air my front tires to the required 115 PSI.

It is more irritating due to its sound than my diesel engine. So I do not carry it on board.

Car tires and bike tires and air mattress inflation can be done by most simple electric pumps.

If my coach tire were flat, I would probably fire up the engine to put some air in the tire.

If merely low, drive the coach to a more appropriate inflation spot, and add the number of pounds you calculated it needed when you cold tested the inflation.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:15 AM   #21
If I am going to spend a day on the road I do not give it a second thought and air up tires as part ot the walk-around. The rig might be started and shut down a couple of times in the morning.

To start up after set-up causes the air bags to reinflate, and the auto leveling system to reset. So I would end up not being set-up. Have to start over just to check tire pressure?
glenn allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
A couple thoughts...or more...

1. I currently use a sears electric air pump since I have a gasser. It isn't very quiet but works nicely.

2. I also have a TPMS so I generally know what tires and how much pressure will be needed for topping them off. That helps in getting it done quickly.

3. I think other MH owners will understand pre-departure airing up of tires. OTOH, they may not enjoy running the engine for airing up light weight stuff. For that purpose a small, air compressor is better and quieter.
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #23
Fleetwood Owners Club
I also use that same sears compressor , Carry it in the toad when travelling and keep it in the garage at home . works great for powering a nail gun

08 Diesel Bounder 38V
phranc is offline   Reply With Quote