Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #1

On Board Air Compressor

I have an on board air compressor. When I set up, I dump the air, level and then put out the slides. My question concerns air pressure. After I'm set up, is there enough air pressure to air up the toad, a bicycle or how about one of the MH tires without starting the engine?

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverbill View Post
I have an on board air compressor. When I set up, I dump the air, level and then put out the slides. My question concerns air pressure. After I'm set up, is there enough air pressure to air up the toad, a bicycle or how about one of the MH tires without starting the engine?

Thanks.
There should be enough left to fill up a bicycle tube and likely top up the toad tires but I doubt you'll do any good for the moho tires. Assuming you have 22.5" tires you're probably running upwards of 90# pressure. For the tire to fill, the supply pressure would have to be greater than the pressure in the tire.
Consider installing an air pressure gauge so you'll know what you have.

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX

There should be enough left to fill up a bicycle tube and likely top up the toad tires but I doubt you'll do any good for the moho
Yup....do it all the time with bike tires. Touch & go with the toad...depends how much you've bled-off with the bikes & how much you need for the toad...forget the MH.
Jack1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a Holiday Rambler and we have an air pressure guage on the instrument panel that tells how much air pressure is in the tank, enough for bike,air mattress or tires.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #5

Yes, we agree, you should have enough air left to adjust toad and bike tires but not to air any of the RV tires as you'll probably be below 100 psi on board by the time you are settled in.

Your system psi needs to be above the pressure you want your tire at in order to top off that tire with your on board compressor. Since we usually are in the 90 to 102 psi for our motorhome tires, we can just about always top off our tires with the compressor and the engine in high idle as it is easy to get and keep the on board compressor's psi above the 102 mark. However, if you are airing your tires to the 110 to 120 psi mark, you may have to follow the procedure outlined in this video:

HOW TO: Inflate High Pressure RV Tires - YouTube
Old 11-25-2012, 10:01 PM   #6

Silly question perhaps: why not just start the engine???
Old 11-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
Well Sir,
I kind of think the same thing but, there's circumstances that might not be so cool if you start your big rig up just to top off a tire. Now, all things considered, an alternative is to carry a little air compressor, 110VAC type from say, Sears. I use and carry this one:
8pc. Portable Air Compressor: Take Craftsman Power to Go with Sears

Some folks don't have the room to carry an extra air compressor and I can surely understand that. But, if you do, this is one of the finest, strongest,. fastest recovery ones, for the price, on the market. It's light and doesn't takeup much room. I just used mine the other day for my left front tire on my '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the 330 CAT and, it lifted that psi from 90 to 105 in about 1 minute. I've used it on the bicycles, toad, and we carry a Honda Goldwing on the rear and have used it on that too. It's a great little accessory to carry. And, you don't have to fire up the giant engine to add a few PSI to a tire. Just an idea here folks.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
Yes, we agree, you should have enough air left to adjust toad and bike tires but not to air any of the RV tires as you'll probably be below 100 psi on board by the time you are settled in.

Your system psi needs to be above the pressure you want your tire at in order to top off that tire with your on board compressor. Since we usually are in the 90 to 102 psi for our motorhome tires, we can just about always top off our tires with the compressor and the engine in high idle as it is easy to get and keep the on board compressor's psi above the 102 mark. However, if you are airing your tires to the 110 to 120 psi mark, you may have to follow the procedure outlined in this video:

HOW TO: Inflate High Pressure RV Tires - YouTube
This is a GREAT idea! I made one of these immediately after seeing the video a few months ago. There is one thing I do differently though. Instead of having someone else pump the brake pedal to bleed the air down, I simply partially remove the air chuck from the quick-disconnect and let the air out there until the compressor kicks in. Once it kicks on I reconnect the chuck and wait for the pressure to go back up to the desired level. Works for me!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Interesting video.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
Lets see, I can start up the 435 hp air compressor and wake up the neighbors, uses some diesel and pollutes the air, or I can get out the 1.5 hp electric one that makes very little noise and no polution.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well If your next to me and you fire up the diesel to pump up your bike tire, I'll just smile cause I love the sound and the smell of diesel! Yea I know wife says I'm weird too.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Lets see, I can start up the 435 hp air compressor and wake up the neighbors, uses some diesel and pollutes the air, or I can get out the 1.5 hp electric one that makes very little noise and no polution.
Sigh ... the OP indicated "after setting up" - so I was thinking that a HUGE racket had already just been made by pulling in and setting up (hopefully in daylight) ... and more specifically had asked about airing up the DP tires. Depends on the actual question being asked (minimize noise? minimize pollution? easiest? fastest? , etc.) If we are talking the middle of the night, I WOULD have the sense to not fire up the DP engine.

It is a matter of degree depending on the actual question: one option that has not been discussed is a high-pressure bicycle hand pump. They DO work for bicycles after all. They DO work (from experience) for car tires also (though with somewhat more physical work). I will guarantee you also that they will work for the DP tires (high-pressure is high-pressure) - HOWEVER I would not recommend trying, as it would probably take ~1-2 hours per tire . Oh - also they are really quiet (well - except maybe for the cursing if you try it on a DP tire), good for the environment, and good exercise to boot! As I said, it is a matter of degree and the actual question being asked.

(oh - the experience: in MN, when it is ~zero degrees, compressors have a tendency to frost up and not work. Hence the hand-pump used on car tires. It DOES work!)
Old 11-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I already have the sears air compressor because I like to pressure up the tires before I go anywhere. I cant imagine a MH that has an air compressor not having room to fit one of these in it.

About three years ago, I bought a compressor from Costco. It is about the size of a toaster oven. I originally bought it because it was a pain in the butt to take my motorcycle someplace and get air in the tires. It weighs less than 5 lbs, it does car tires, bikes, air mattress, or just about anything. I don't think it would air up my 22.5 tires, but it sure is small, light, and powerful.

I sure would not be a happy camper if my neighbor started up their diesel engine just to air something up. Now, if they are leaving and are airing up their tires, that is understandable. I just can't imagine why anyone would start their diesel just to fill their air tanks.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think it is just a matter of common courtesy and common sense! I NEVER start the MH engine to air anything except during the day and early evening. If I'm leaving the next morning and need to air the MH tires, I have all of the day before to get it done.

I too have one of the VIAIR high-pressure compressors that I used with our 5er, but I don't have the patience to use it on the 22.5 tires on the MH. To each his own......

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor