Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2011, 09:04 PM   #1

On Board Storage Tricks - Yours?

What are you using for on board storage of various items?

How do you keep items/containers secured from moving around?

Any special kind of catch for inside overhead bin doors?

Any ideas/photos will be appreciated.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I've found if I pack the cupboards/compartments so full there isn't an inch of space to put anything more, nuthing moves.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I've found if I pack the cupboards/compartments so full there isn't an inch of space to put anything more, nuthing moves.

Lori-
Thanks, Lori - I'm sure that my wife will be VERY helpful in that regard.

"Oh, look - ANOTHER outlet mall!"
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #4

I like loose things to be confined but it doesn't always work when space is limited. Those storage bins took up more room which caused another problem. I downsized the stuff in the trailer which made organizing easier. I’m using fewer storage bins along with ziplock bags. Keeping it simple works best for me.
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had a nice long reply typed last evening, one handed, and I moved my mouse and lost it using CoolPreviews, so;

As stated, pack everything tight in the cabinets. However, I have some square DVD cases, translucent plastic, with 1 inch holes that I picked up at Wally-world, or some place similar. They are stackable. They sure kept things organized and not moving around in pantries, and overhead cabinets. I liked the fact that I could see into the holes and get an idea of what was in the box.

For the basement, I picked up some different size plastic (again translucent) drawers and placed them in the compartments. My compartments only go all the way across at the upper-most 8 inches of the basement. The drawers would stack and still allow me to access the slide-through for folding chairs, fishing poles, and other flat objects. I even put a quick disconnect on the old satellite dish I had and could pull it apart ans store it in that 8" space.

For the fishing poles I picked up some almost square plastic rain gutters and cut them to length with a hack saw. I can slip two fishing poles into each gutter and they do not catch on things when I pull them out. I'm thinking of mounting them to the overhead to pick up the poles and get them out of the way.

Works for me.

p.s. I have an inventory for each drawer. Anything replaced in-kind I try to put back in the same storage area. I have to admit that I have gotten to the place where I remember almost where every thing is. For those items I don't remember, I WAG it and just open containers looking. It refreshes my memory on the other items still there.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:58 AM   #6
Community Administrator

All of these are good suggestions, most of which I too use. Another important consideration is driving habits. The sharper and quicker you approach a turn will determine how much of your stuff will be strewn about.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I got tired of smashing my fishing poles that always got pushed to the back of the compartment, so I went to Home Depot and picked up some wall type broom holders, kind of U shaped and mounted them on the roof of the compartment, now I just clip them in place out of the way. The tips go in cup holders.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:07 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wayne tell me about your "quick disconnect" for the old sat dish. That thing is a royal PITA to store! An old Navy guy asking a Marine for advice, what has this world come to?
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Stuff in galley cabinets have non-skid cut to place between layers of plates and cups. Same thing for the fry pans and other stuff that likes to rattle.

Portable Sat dish has been modified to allow the LNB arm to fold against the dish. I have to remove a bolt, fold out the arm and reinstall that bolt to put it back into action. Works fine.

Round sewer hose pipe mounted high in bay to store fishing poles.

Built tire storage stand using 2x4 pieces that store the 22.5" tire well above the joey bed slider.

Broom handle wall clasps to store long handled squeegee and mop on sidewalls of basement bins.

All basement bin surfaces are covered by automotive fabric, by the manufacturer. That limits sliding of contents and the ultimate noise when something moves and hits resistence.

I use the plastic bins and store items by useage category. In addition, each basement compartment has a general dedicated use, ie. Chassis parts, Utility Bay stuff, Coach parts , tools, patio equipment, etc.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Storing grill and electric skillet

We keep the grill and any appliance stored in the outside bins that might have food residue on them in a plastic bin. We measure and buy as small a bin as the item will fit in. I don't want to think of bugs getting into these things.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:48 PM   #11

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We take all food items out of packaging boxes and put in ziplocks or storage containers, otherwise it's pack the basement storage until it doesn't move!
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I saw a great tip in one of the rv mags a few weeks back. Someone had taken some flat styrofoam panels/blocks and cut out holes for glassware, coffee cups etc. Keeps them from self-destructing in the cabinets.
I hate plastic tumblers and cups, always bring a couple Collins glasses and mugs for coffee. Might as well live well on the road.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:10 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I bought one of those three tiered wire racks for plates and bowls etc. I use the non skid material between each but everything still falls off it. Any suggestions?
BarbRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbRN View Post
I bought one of those three tiered wire racks for plates and bowls etc. I use the non skid material between each but everything still falls off it. Any suggestions?
In my sailing days, I ran a thin bead of silicone around the base of all plates and some glasses. I would then set them upright on a sheet of wax paper with a light coat of Pam. After the silicone cured, peel off the paper...wash 'em up, and I found I could sail on a 30-40 degrees of heel and the plates were almost 'glued' on a smooth surface...the food on the plates were a different matter. This works well with 'Correll' type plates and when stacked, were very stable.

In all of our RV's cabinets, we installed that 'rubbery' shelf liner that really helps on shifting items and stops the clattering as well. We just bought a nice set of coated 'nesting' pots and pans and will install the same material in those also to keep them from rattling and getting scratched.

We try to keep the heavier items down low to keep the CG as low as possible and the heavier of those to the forward face of the cabinets. Our thinking is that in the event of a hard stop, those items will not crush or break lighter items against the front of the cabinet walls.

We also installed shelf dividers in the fridge to cut down on item movement there and have bars in the freezer compartments and in the refrigerator to keep items that have shifted from falling out when we open the doors...lessons learned there. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote