Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2019, 08:42 AM   #1

On side of road, what's next?

We broke down and were on the roadway. Luckily, we were only 25 miles from home. The motorhome went completely dead while driving. Could not turn engine back on, no crank or anything.
We called for roadside assistance, and the tow truck was there in about an hour. That is all good news.

My question is, what to do with the people and pets. We travel without a car in tow. My elderly parents and one grandchild, and 2 dogs, were with us. Luckily my brother was at home and was able to pick us up and take us home, while the motorhome was being towed to the service department. We all would not have fit in the tow truck.

What happens if this occurred out of state on the expressway?
Is there any roadside assistance plan that will send a car, whether it be a car rental or not, to the breakdown site.
I've read the brochures and websites. I know some plans offer discounts on rental cars. That is not what I'm asking.

Is there any plan that would've picked us up or provided transporation from the side of the road?
I know I can call the companies, but I would like to hear real world experience.
In the past, when I call companies with off the wall questions like this, the people I talk to don't have a clue.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2019, 09:25 AM   #2

As long as you have a phone signal to call the tow, you can also call a cab. I would call a cab or Uber and send the crew to a motel or car rental agency while I waited with the rig. Enterprise car rental will pick up customers also.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:39 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Just think, we used to do all this without a phone.

Your case is real and something to think about. Only you can really decide what is acceptable risk and what is not. I think there's a really good chance you don't break down again. A toad would definitely help with peace of mind.

The good news is now a days you have more options than ever before. You could start to experiment with Uber, Lyft, etc. just to get comfortable. Depending on where you're at you might even be able to get a rental car place to pick you up?

For now we travel in an old class C without a toad. If/when we FT I'll likely tow a vehicle.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #4

Traveling without a toad does put you in a predicament when the MH breaks down. For that reason, I almost alway bring my toad, even if I wouldn't normally need it. I am not aware of any roadside service that can provide a car along with towing your rig. However, as mentioned, Enterprise and other car rentals will come and pick you up if they are in your area. The worst case would be to have a break down in a remote area with no cell service or car rentals available. This could be bad in very cold or hot weather. No easy answers for some scenarios. Sometimes, a toad is the only safe solution.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Just think, we used to do all this without a phone.

Your case is real and something to think about. Only you can really decide what is acceptable risk and what is not. I think there's a really good chance you don't break down again. A toad would definitely help with peace of mind.

The good news is now a days you have more options than ever before. You could start to experiment with Uber, Lyft, etc. just to get comfortable. Depending on where you're at you might even be able to get a rental car place to pick you up?

For now we travel in an old class C without a toad. If/when we FT I'll likely tow a vehicle.

I agree if you don't have a tow vehicle and you are too far from any Friends or Family. The next choice for me is Rent a car, Enterprise will pick up and bring you to their office to do the paperwork

Lets hope your repair is quick and easy
I
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:21 AM   #6

Yeah not having cell service stuck on the road somewhere or while driving is a frequent reality. Especially in any hill country or mountains. If you did have cell service though, your choices would be calling a cab, uber or a Rent Car service. All of which I doubt would come to your aid on the freeway. Any especially if it was on a tollway or turnpike.

We would not even consider being without a toad. Without a toad, once you arrive to wherever you're going...you are now a slave to that location. We like going out and exploring whenever and however much we like in the surrounding areas and making frequent liquor store runs. Oh and good ol' Wally world. Besides it also serves as an emergency vehicle for not only things like what happened to you but for human or pet health emergencies as well when you arrive and are parked. We would feel handicapped without a toad for sure. Could we do it? Of course we could. Will we do it...NO.

Hope you find a solution that works for you and you get you MH promptly fixed.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:55 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Traveling without a toad does put you in a predicament when the MH breaks down. For that reason, I almost alway bring my toad, even if I wouldn't normally need it. I am not aware of any roadside service that can provide a car along with towing your rig. However, as mentioned, Enterprise and other car rentals will come and pick you up if they are in your area. The worst case would be to have a break down in a remote area with no cell service or car rentals available. This could be bad in very cold or hot weather. No easy answers for some scenarios. Sometimes, a toad is the only safe solution.
X2! I agree!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:09 AM   #8

My 2015 home did same thing three weeks ago. Engine quit. They found a piston and connecting rod in oil pan. Still broke said could take up to a month to fix from today. Fighting with ford warranty. I had a toad, thankfully, I was 1700 miles from home. I was on my way to visit family. Thankfully they are putting me up with my two pets till I get this fixed. Big pain. I asked ford trip interruption service what can you do for me to get car, hotel, etc cause it’s their fault. You could hear the blank stare on other end. They gave me a claim number for tow reimbursement. Still waiting for answers as they have to tear engine apart to verify it’s their problem. I have a Georgetown with a V-10. 25000 miles on it and it broke. Good luck on repair. If you need a V-10 I know where you can get one. Their hard to find.
davie200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:33 PM   #9

Thanks to all for your replies.
One of the things we love about this motorhome, it's small enough to unhook and go where we want. We haven't needed a car for three years.

I was hoping someone had gone through this and share. I haven't really read about this kind of situation before.

This breakdown was so sudden it has us looking for a plan B. I can't wait to see what the problem is.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:52 PM   #10

We always travel with a toad just for situations like you experienced.

Especially with elderly people on board.

Many times a trip for parts, fuel or
Medical services can help avoid a tow or roadside services, ambulance trip.

Being prepared keeps you more self sufficient and in control.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaynMary View Post
We broke down and were on the roadway. Luckily, we were only 25 miles from home. The motorhome went completely dead while driving. Could not turn engine back on, no crank or anything.
We called for roadside assistance, and the tow truck was there in about an hour. That is all good news.

My question is, what to do with the people and pets. We travel without a car in tow. My elderly parents and one grandchild, and 2 dogs, were with us. Luckily my brother was at home and was able to pick us up and take us home, while the motorhome was being towed to the service department. We all would not have fit in the tow truck.

What happens if this occurred out of state on the expressway?
Is there any roadside assistance plan that will send a car, whether it be a car rental or not, to the breakdown site.
I've read the brochures and websites. I know some plans offer discounts on rental cars. That is not what I'm asking.

Is there any plan that would've picked us up or provided transporation from the side of the road?
I know I can call the companies, but I would like to hear real world experience.
In the past, when I call companies with off the wall questions like this, the people I talk to don't have a clue.
RayMary,
Well, to my way of looking at your question, you answered it yourself. The "debate" as to tow a toad or not, has been tossed back and forth, a bazillion times. You have either deemed it unnecessary to tow a toad or, possibly you can't afford one and or, the cost of setting one up. But, you were lucky. You broke down only a few miles from home. And, should this have happened in the middle of nowhere, miles and miles from civilization, possibly with no cell service and in less than perfect environmental/climate conditions, things would not be pretty.

Now, this paints a potential "bleak" picture. But, can it happen, sure it can. Has it happened, yep, to us. It was the one and ONLY time we'd ever traveled without a toad. BIG MISTAKE. We had two LITTLE kids at the time. So, I definitely know how you felt. Roadside assistance is great, if all things are in place. You're within cell service, you're in a safe environment, there's no immediate emergency of any type pending (health or otherwise), and, the COMPANY (whoever it is) arrives within an acceptable amount of wait time.

Glad you got home, safe and sound, without incident.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:34 PM   #12

Thank you for your thoughtful response.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:11 PM   #13

Never leave home without Toad, just feel better knowing it is there.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:19 PM   #14

Better yet, never leave home w/o a good plan "B" for whatever might happen, breakdown, medical emergency, cash issue, even escape plan from RV.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote