Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2015, 05:47 PM   #1

On the hunt

We are in the market for a used RV and I've never owned a motor home. I could sure use some advice on what areas are critical so we do not end up regretting our decision. We're looking at a price of $100K give or take. I like a 2008 40X Discovery we found but I just want to be sure. Thanks in advance for any responses.
TexasRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2015, 05:59 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
A better price would be about 90K. If you are not experienced I recommend that you hire a qualified inspector. You need to look for a hundred things to protect yourself from engine to generator to evidence of leaks. Something as small as a rusty screw head in the wrong place can indicate a leak that will cost a lot and be very frustrating. It is probably a great coach but better safe than sorry. There are a ton of posts on this Forum and on RVNet.com that can help. Also facebook. Good luck. Oh and I'm sure a bunch of folks will say to check the date code on the tires. They should be under 7 years old. Google tire date code.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:08 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

What's most critical is the size and floor plan (layout) that works best for you. Everybody yaks a lot about diesel or gas, this brand or that, or the benefits of a tag axle, but at the end of the day that's all minor stuff compared to the comfort and practicality of the layout for your particular lifestyle. Some people find a 2nd bath all but essential, while others are more concerned about having an oven or a washer/dryer. Only you can answer that kind of question, and to some extent it requires some RVing experience to learn the fine points of what works best for you. Everything in an RV is a trade-off of space and weight. You can have an inside jacuzzi if you want, but you have to give up a bunch to get it. What's the value to you of each thing, large or small?

A Discovery is a nice mid-range diesel pusher coach, well equipped and reasonably well constructed. If the one you found is well-kept, it should serve you fine. Whether the 40X is right for you is a different question.

The 40X is a front kitchen type layout, so the tv viewing area is midships. Make sure that the tv watchers in your family all have comfortable seats where they can watch without twisting their necks. Some 40X have a front tv also (it's an option). Check out the bath to make sure you fit in the shower and can sit on the commode without discomfort. Little things like that can be very irritating! Also look over the galley and bedroom drawers and closets carefully, to make sure you have a place for all your stuff. RV designers don't worry much about a place for your coffee maker or toaster oven, or your dirty laundry either. It's up to you to figure that out. Do it before you buy!

Here is a 2008 Discovery brochure that may tell you some useful things about the coach:
http://fleetwoodrv.com/frvlibrary/do.../2008_di_b.pdf
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:22 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
A better price would be about 90K. If you are not experienced I recommend that you hire a qualified inspector. You need to look for a hundred things to protect yourself from engine to generator to evidence of leaks. Something as small as a rusty screw head in the wrong place can indicate a leak that will cost a lot and be very frustrating. It is probably a great coach but better safe than sorry. There are a ton of posts on this Forum and on RVNet.com that can help. Also facebook. Good luck. Oh and I'm sure a bunch of folks will say to check the date code on the tires. They should be under 7 years old. Google tire date code.
And even then you're not assured of there being no problems! We had an oil analysis done on our rig before purchase, it showed no real problems other than some minor rust and moisture from not being run enough. 2,600 miles later the engine dropped a valve, $33,000 in repairs.
I also know of another ISX ('08 this time) that was bought from a private party, in not running condition. They spent $20,000 at a Cummins dealer after getting it towed in. 20 miles from the shop it threw a rod, $44,000 in repairs in add'n to the $20,000.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:54 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
And even then you're not assured of there being no problems! We had an oil analysis done on our rig before purchase, it showed no real problems other than some minor rust and moisture from not being run enough. 2,600 miles later the engine dropped a valve, $33,000 in repairs.
I also know of another ISX ('08 this time) that was bought from a private party, in not running condition. They spent $20,000 at a Cummins dealer after getting it towed in. 20 miles from the shop it threw a rod, $44,000 in repairs in add'n to the $20,000.
The ISX engine is well known for it's problems.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:32 PM   #6

Thank You

All this information is exactly what I was hoping for. My thanks to each of and I'm sure I'll have additional questions. If anyone has some spare time, the web address for the one I mentioned is below.
http://www.rvt.com/Fleetwood-Discove...8-Wolfforth-TX

Randy Lewis
Not quite retired yet
Odessa, TX
Old 08-10-2015, 08:35 PM   #7

2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40X, Class A - Diesel RV For Sale in Wolfforth, Texas | Performance Unlimited AJ3639 | RVT.com - 145493

This is the complete address.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:09 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
looks like a nice coach. I would still hire an inspector!
Old 08-10-2015, 09:18 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might want to check out the inventory at PPL Motorhomes. They have a lot of coaches on consignment and some of the owners are in a hurry to get out from under the payments.

Used RVs, Motorhomes for Sale, and Consigned sales - PPL Motor Homes

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:29 PM   #10

Thanks and I will take your advice!
Old 08-11-2015, 07:00 AM   #11

$100K gives you a lot of options. Any used coach I might be interested in MUST have maintenance records. Don't be too quick to jump because of looks. You say the Discovery is a 2008, maybe look at quality made coach's that might be a little older. Like Beaver, Newmar, Monaco, Tiffin, etc. www.pplmotorhomes.com is a good place to look at consignment's. They also have a place on their site where you can see what coach's actually sold for. Do your due diligence, get an independent inspector, try for those maint. records, and you should be ok. Usually you'll have a better chance at maint. records from a private seller. Just google used motorhomes and quite a few sites will pop up.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:43 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
A couple years ago I started looking for my first coach. I fell in love with the front kitchen 40x floorplan. Large bathroom, Midship bigscreen tv. Fridge and sink close to the door so you don't have to walk through people or the coach to get to something. My budget kept me in the 2007 to 2008 model year. Looked at a few 2010 but they were a little more than I wanted to spend. There are some major differences between a 2008 and a 2010 that you might want to consider.
Residential Fridge option
Pass through storage instead of storage attached to the slides.
Side open storage doors.
stack washer and dryer in bedroom
outdoor tv is built into the slide
outdoor kitchen does not take up a lot of space like the 2008 (love mine).;
Well a boating friend of mine had a friend who had a coach he wanted to sell. Turned out to be a 2010 40x that was loaded and I got it for a good price. Glad I got the 2010. The 2008 you are looking at seems nice also. There is a 2010 in Lubbock on rvt.com. Good luck JD
Hogbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:45 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forgot to mention. It is a popular floor plan and the nice ones don't last long. Once you have made you decision be ready to pull the trigger on the right one. Good Luck JD
Hogbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:13 PM   #14

Excellent information and thanks for taking the time to respond!