Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2015, 07:09 AM   #29

Repair looks pretty good. I'm surprised you couldn't find any 5200, the Fla coast should have a West Marine every 10 miles.You would be surprised how many boat decks & hulls are held together with 5200 & stainless steel sheet metal screws. And those things really take a pounding.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2015, 11:31 AM   #30

Very nice job. You won't have to worry about it anymore. After reading this thread and many other threads about poor manufacturing or assembly techniques and poor quality control, I am not surprised at as much as I used to be about troubles with rv's and motorhomes.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:42 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
The repair looks good. It seems like most of the failure was the OEM adhesive pulling off of the fiberglass, not off of the metal frame. From the pictures, it looks like they did not prep the fiberglass in any way.

Pushedaround,

It was actually the other way around. Out of 9 pads, 8 pulled off the metal, one the Fiberglas. The adhesive was put right on the painted metal. I cut and chiseled the adhesive out of the foot prints of the pads. It was really stuck to the fiberglass as it has a lot of texture to grab onto.

Jeff
Spizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:07 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
Sorry to hear about your problem but it is very common with Winnebago caches where they have used rigid epoxy as the adhesive. I have no experience with Gorilla but suggest you consider 3M 5200 Adhesive/Sealent. It is a marine product designed to hold almost anything to anything. It is described as a "permanent" solution as it cannot be easily removed. It comes in regular (7 day cure) or FC (fast cure in 24 hours). There are many former boaters in the forums who will attest to the strength and versatility of 5200. You should be able to apply it right over the old epoxy. I have used it to secure the rear grill on my coach and would not use epoxy again as it lacks the resilience/flexibility of 5200. I believe this is a superior solution to rigid epoxy, JB weld or Gorilla glue given the "shakes, rattles and rolls" encountered at the rear of the coach. You should be able to find it a West Marine or even in some hardware/building supply stores. Good luck,
I love the 3M 5200. I have used it in many marine applications including underwater applications. Once it's on it won't come off again in one piece.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:08 AM   #33

Academy sports has 5500 and 5200 easy to work with
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair