Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2015, 10:40 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all good information. We have definitely decided tag and cummins. Really like front kitchen and split or rear bath. Prefer queen vs king bed. and stackable washer and dryer. Now just have to find all of this in a used unit we can afford

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2015, 05:23 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If I may be so bold, take a look at this:

43 Emerald W/2 Slides & Tag Axle
The early 2000's HR Marquis Emerald was #1 on our list for a long time, we just never found one that we loved before we bought our current rig (which we also love!).

We love the bath layout, and we LOVE that is has a quasi-separate dining room. It's extremely elegant feeling, though not everyone enjoys all that fancy-schmancy when camping We do, but we're spoiled when it comes to traveling.

On a side note: I'm not necessarily recommending this specific unit, although at a very quick first glance it looks like a strong contender. I'm also not necessarily recommending this particular dealer - I've heard mixed reviews about them, though, to be honest, I emailed them several times over the course of all my research about one rig or another and they were always very helpful and informative.

Good luck!

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:09 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryly Blithe View Post
If I may be so bold, take a look at this:

43 Emerald W/2 Slides & Tag Axle
The early 2000's HR Marquis Emerald was #1 on our list for a long time, we just never found one that we loved before we bought our current rig (which we also love!).

We love the bath layout, and we LOVE that is has a quasi-separate dining room. It's extremely elegant feeling, though not everyone enjoys all that fancy-schmancy when camping We do, but we're spoiled when it comes to traveling.

On a side note: I'm not necessarily recommending this specific unit, although at a very quick first glance it looks like a strong contender. I'm also not necessarily recommending this particular dealer - I've heard mixed reviews about them, though, to be honest, I emailed them several times over the course of all my research about one rig or another and they were always very helpful and informative.

Good luck!
Was on our short list too. Not everyone's cup of tea with the intimate dining and curved passage but we loved it!
Old 09-03-2015, 06:46 AM   #32

Quote:
I'm also not necessarily recommending this particular dealer - I've heard mixed reviews about them, though, to be honest, I emailed them several times over the course of all my research about one rig or another and they were always very helpful and informative.
Good luck!
If you see the word, **Consignment**, at MHSRV, then perc your ears up. For reasons that be-fuddle me, they do absolutely Nothing to the coaches, and don't guarantee a thing to work, or not.
To their credit, they must have the world's best photographer, because their photos show a perfect unit.

Caveat, do not buy a consignment coach unseen and base your decision on the reputation of their new or used coach divisions. Many answers given by salesmen about consignment coaches are....shall we say...guesses.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:15 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
If you see the word, **Consignment**, at MHSRV, then perc your ears up. For reasons that be-fuddle me, they do absolutely Nothing to the coaches, and don't guarantee a thing to work, or not.
To their credit, they must have the world's best photographer, because their photos show a perfect unit.

Caveat, do not buy a consignment coach unseen and base your decision on the reputation of their new or used coach divisions. Many answers given by salesmen about consignment coaches are....shall we say...guesses.
True enough, but in all fairness to dealers that are selling consignment RVs:

1) the RVs are typically "as delivered by the owner";
2) the dealer is not being paid to clean or provide maintenance;
3) the dealer has no knowledge of past care and maintenance.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:46 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Have been to MHSRV more times than I care to count as we live 'just up the road' by Texas standards and so when we were shopping, we spent many an hour there just looking for the floor plan "SWMBO" liked...
Can't help you with floor plans, but can with condition if there is one you'd like us to go see in person (a camera can hide even MY warts )

MHSRV has some NICE units (that usually don't last long enough to MAKE the website) and some that need tender loving care...
only way to know is to let one of their salesmen know what you want and then look closely at it...

I too have been impressed by the flyers from Motorhomes of Texas and suspect many of those are probably trades on people that got new foretravels, so they might have been taken care of
Old 09-03-2015, 08:50 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Johnboy!
I had not considered that most "good" units don't make Internet but am sure you are right. We may contact some of the larger dealers with our wish list and pocketbook to try to find one of those. Great suggestions!
Cathy
Old 09-04-2015, 07:12 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
True enough, but in all fairness to dealers that are selling consignment RVs:

1) the RVs are typically "as delivered by the owner";
2) the dealer is not being paid to clean or provide maintenance;
3) the dealer has no knowledge of past care and maintenance.
1) this is absolutely true; down to bed linens on the bed. Why?

2) again, Why? MHSRV collects 6%, minimum of $3000, plus $500 up front. If they charged a flat $200 to have cabinets emptied, carpet shampooed, exterior washed, etc. then they would have their consignment coaches look just like their used coaches. They would also have some knowledge of what works and what doesn't, in order to project the units properly to buyers.

3) this is true of used coaches, too.

From a business perspective, maybe they show consignment coaches in a bad light in order to move buyers into Used coaches; maybe more profit.
However, their plan fails when dealing with people from all over the country that fly into DFW with one, single, unit on their minds; mostly paid for already.

Also, if that's their plan, why have the photographer do such a splendid job by not showing the cracked windshield, or water stains, or nasty carpet?
Old 09-04-2015, 04:52 PM   #37

Quote:
I spent nearly a year researching which types of coaches would best suit our needs, and then once I finalized my wish list I spent another six months searching for the perfect rig. For us, 40+ feet was a must, as was a TAG. We knew that as beginners it was more coach than we really needed, but we wanted to make sure it'll fit all our needs well into the future. As someone a lot smarter than me has said: "Buy your third coach first."

In addition to all the great advice from everyone above, here's a couple tidbits that I found very helpful:

1. If you go shopping at a dealership, the first question to ask should be, "Is this unit on consignment?" Consignments aren't evil, but you need to be aware of what you're getting into because the deal will likely be structured differently. Someone's already mentioned that few consignment units get any kind of attention from the dealer, and they rarely if ever do any kind of inspection on them. If there are any issues after-the-sale, that dealer isn't likely to be of any help to you. It's only marginally better of they're selling a unit from their inventory, but marginally better is better than nothing.
  2. In most states, buying from a dealer means paying sales tax. Some states vary on whether you pay tax on consignment sales, but I think most do. However, in some states (like Nevada) there are no sales taxes on private party sales, resulting in a huge cost savings. We bought ours from a private party and we didn't have to pay any sales tax - a savings of nearly $8k. Depending on your budget, it's well worth looking into.
  3. Make sure you have a disinterested third-party inspect the rig before you purchase it. DO NOT simply take the word of the dealer, even if they promise you it has passed their "multi-point inspection." Their agenda is to sell the vehicle, and they will often say whatever it takes to make it happen. It's crass to think that way, but it's often true. I've been told by people I trust that the best way to do it is to make a satisfactory inspection a condition of the sale; that way, if something is found to be an issue, the dealer will be more inclined to address it because they know they have an actual sale at risk, rather than just some lookie-loo kicking the tires.

Good luck, and have fun!
2. I think in most cases the issue of sales tax is a issue of state law and not just from who you purchase the coach. I know Minnesota does not care who you buy it from. When you go to license the vehicle they will make sure sales tax gets paid. Same in Texas.

3. Great advice on getting a independent third party inspection no matter who you are buying from, individual, dealer or off consignment.

1. As a seller my experience with a consignment sale was very different than is depicted in some of the comments in these posts. It sounds like there is a much of a range in good and bad with consignment firms as there is with dealers. Legacy Coach in Rockwall TX required that the coach be completely empty (no bed linens allowed) and detailed. They provided the interior detailing and staging as part of their fee and I was required to have the exterior including wheels and basement storage completely detailed. The coach was stored indoors in a secure facility as part of their fee. So the coach was kept clean and safe. They did a PDI on the unit and reviewed service records. I found them more knowledgeable than many of the dealers i have spoken with in the past

When the coach was sold I received about 10% more than I could get on a trade-in or outright sale to a dealer. I think the purchaser brought the coach for about 10% less than they could buy it from a dealer. As best I can determine a dealer who takes a unit on trade or outright purchase works on about a 30% mark-up when they resell it. In some cases their mark-up on a used coach is greater than a new coach. In the case of my consignment sale the dealer mark-up got split about 1/3 each to owner, purchaser, and consignment firm.

So I guess when searching for the perfect used coach explore all sources with a good bit of skepticism. If properly vetted any one might have the best deal for you.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:37 AM   #38

Country Coach Owners Club
We bought our current coach from a dealer that specializes in consignment sales and had a great experience. They went back to the original owner several times with our questions and price negotiation offers. They spent two days with us showing us the systems and fixing every problem we identified.

Fixing things before you take delivery is important. They are not likely to do much for you after you drive it off the lot. I don't blame them. They're working on a commission and if they can't get the coach owner to agree to a repair or upgrade, it must come out of the dealer's cut.

These coaches are large, complicated, and expensive. It's not like buying an appliance. The buyer owns the responsibility of determining the condition of the coach and managing the purchase accordingly. If one does not have the ability to do that or hire it done, then the buyer should and will bear all of the consequences.

Here's the dealer we used and have been very happy with. They're located in the heart of what was a booming motor coach manufacturing industry until the economic collapse. The upside is that there is a great deal of institutional knowledge remaining in the area for a number of coach makes. These guys focus on Country Coach but Monaco and all of it's variants, like Beaver, Holiday Rambler, Safari, etc. are common to the area.

Premier RV, Junction City, Oregon

YMMV
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:48 AM   #39

have you look thru the stuff for sale on here?
Old 09-05-2015, 09:17 AM   #40

OP - Happy hunting for your future new ride!

Tag decision for the size coach you're looking for, I understand. And of course since your writing the check(s), if Cummins is what you want, get a Cummins.

That being said, I would:

-Pick your purchase budget range, and leave a good allowance for contingency and catch-up maintenance.

-Keep looking at all kinds of coaches, kick tires, sit in as if your were living in it. Check it our with the slides in, and out. Come up with a short list of manufacturers and models and the years, that seem to fit into your budget purchase price range.

-Then go shopping hard and heavy. Be ready to spend some money on inspections, oil analysis, even dyno tests by the engine manufacturer. And travel expenses.

Some other opinions:

-Drop years to remain within budget price range, and buy the highest quality coach that you can find. Quality lasts, and a quality coach provides a great foundation to tune and customize cabinets, TV's, etc. to what you want.
-Engine. At this size coach, be sure it is a BIG BLOCK engine. CAT, Detroit, and Cummins. (I mention this, as many 40-43' coaches have mid size blocked Cummins USC/ISL or CAT C7/C9. IMO, while these are great engines, they're underpowered, and have less Compression Braking HP then the real BIG Blocks.) Detroit and CAT are very good engines. But on any engine, including Cummins, check for isolated problems for that specific engine. Even Cummins has problem years of certain engines, that are best avoided.

Best of luck, and please let us know what you end up with!
Smitty