Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2016, 10:51 AM   #1

Onan 10.0K Diesel Generator Control Board?

I have a 2007 Monaco Dynasty that the Diesel Generator will sometimes run for several hours and then die with an error message of low fuel pressure. Sometimes it runs for 30 mins and dies. I replaced the fuel pump (lift pump) and the problem still exist. With help from the local Cummins dealer they had me wire a hot wire to the fuel pump and bingo - fixed the problem!

The technician from the Cummins dealership told me the Control board on the generator is most likely bad.

My question - where is the control board? I've looked all over inside the generator itself - I don't see it - Am I just blind?

Would appreciate any help you can offer. I suspect it may be on the coach somewhere.

Model number of the Generator: 10.0HDKCA

Thanks!
jedwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2016, 12:31 PM   #2

I don't know where the control board is located. Maybe we're both blind?

The generator on our coach did the same thing, it's 12.5KW Onan. Initially, I just hot-wired the fuel pump to +12VDC using an in-line fuse that I would install when we needed the generator. Worked flawlessly, but it was a bit cumbersome and my wife was reluctant to learn the "new" generator operating sequence. I finally got mildly energetic and installed a relay that turns the fuel pump on when the generator starts.

On our generator there is a multi-wire connector that connects the generator to the start/stop control circuits inside the coach. There is one wire in this connector that becomes and stays energized when the generator is running. I tapped off this wire to energize the relay that I installed to supply power to the fuel pump. The +12VDC that actually powers the pump comes from the main +12VDC feed to the generator from the coach.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:07 PM   #3

Thanks for the help. Glad to see I'm not the only one having this happen.

Once I figure out where the board is I'll post it back.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:32 PM   #4

Red face

The control board, if there is such a thing, must be in the generator enclosure. I've had the top off the generator enclosure and didn't see it. There's a few relays near the front passenger side, but not a circuit board that I recall. On top of the generator there is a plastic enclosure that I "assumed" just contained the generator leads as they come out of the generator. Maybe the control board is inside this plastic housing? I know this housing is plastic because I foolishly tried to ground my relay to it. You probably already know that plastic isn't a good conductor of electricity. I did too, but the housing looked like steel to me.

How were you able to change the fuel pump? On my generator it appears that one must have really long, skinny, and strong fingers or just about disassemble the entire coach. Well, almost disassemble the entire coach
Old 04-18-2016, 05:51 AM   #5

I found the service manual online: http://www.twinslan.net/~n0nas/manua...02-2004%29.pdf

Looks like the control board is under that plastic cover your talking about.

The fuel pump was easy to change - mine has an access panel on the bottom right side (look at the front) and the pump is just under that panel.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:03 PM   #6

Thanks!

Any idea what a control board costs?

Tags
diesel, generator, onan