Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2017, 06:52 AM   #1

ONAN 5500 blowing hot air into bedroom

On my last trip I was running the generator to run the roof A/C's. Everything was fine as I have done this on all my trips. I stopped at a rest area and walked to the bedroom and under the vanity there is a return air vent for the furnace. There was hot air blowing through this vent like the furnace was on. This never happened before. It was not an extremely hot day, maybe 85%. I shut off the generator and headed straight to my RV guy. He pulled out my drawers next to the vanity and seen that there was a furnace vent under the drawer. His conclusion was that it must have been windy outside, which it was not, and the wind was blowing the air across the generator into the bedroom. Needless to say, I'm looking for a new RV repairman!!!! Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?
Thanks,
Rendon
Rendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2017, 09:32 AM   #2

Questions ?

Did the hot air flow stop when you shut the gen set off ?

Where is the gen set , in relation to the point where the hot air flow was felt ?

Can you duplicate this condition every time the get set is in operation ?
Old 01-15-2017, 08:01 AM   #3

Yes the hot air stopped once I turned off the generator. It is located in the back left outside compartment which is directly under the bedroom closet and the drawers are under the closet. About 5 feet from the genny to where the air was blowing thru the return vent in the bedroom. This has never happened before and I've traveled many miles with the genny running to operate the roof A/C's as the dash air does not work. When I arrived at my RV guy, he had me fire up the genny and turn on the A/C's. They ran for a good hour and no hot air came thru that vent in the bedroom. This vent is located close to the floor. I have a 2004 Itasca Sunrise 32v.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:28 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Since the generator is air cooled and has a big fan to move the air, It is logical that the cooling air for the generator is going into the coach. After dark, place a bright light in the return air cavity. check for light at the generator. I am sure you will find a opening somewhere.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:20 AM   #5

Another suggestion.

Place a lit candle next to vent and have helper watch it.

Get outside with leaf blower and blast everywhere and see if the candle flickers.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #6

Thank you both for this info. Still doesn't quite make sense to me but I'll try those suggestions. I wonder why it's never happened before. It was obvious that the hot air was blowing in the vent while I was traveling. How long do you think it would continue to blow that air thru the vent? It was not an extremely hot day and I've traveled in July with no issues!
Old 01-16-2017, 10:30 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There should be no possible pathway from the generator to the furnace ducting, so there has to be a breach in your furnace ducting near the generator. The suggestions about using light or a candle are good to verify that.

Not sure if yours is the same, but my 04 Itasca Sunrise M30W has the furnace mounted under the floor at the rear of the coach right in the middle. That puts it right next to the generator, which is in the left rear corner.

Again, there has to be a breach in the furnace ducting in that area, but I'm not sure how you would access it.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:36 AM   #8

My furnace is located in the same spot as yours. I haven't tried those two suggestions yet but I will. This last trip I took, I traveled over the worst roads ever in my life. I was quite surprised that the whole MH didn't fall apart! Perhaps something got jarred loose and is causing this issue. I'm planning another long trip come April. I don't think I'll have to use my AC as I am heading north but I def want this issue corrected! Thanks again for the replays!
Rendon
Old 01-17-2017, 12:49 PM   #9

Any chance the furnace got turned on accidently? It could have coincidently shutdown about the same time as a you shut down the generator.
J. Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan