Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #1

Onan 5500 generater won't start

Hi
I have a hard time with the generator...
It was working super fine until yesterday. I started priming the generator by pushing down on the button on the dash right by the stearing wheel. Once it lit green, I pushed up to start the generator. It started very well and ran no problem.

I went to our brand new Dirt Devil vacuum cleaner especially made for RVs and plugged in the hose to start it. Ran for a few seconds and suddenly it stopped as well as the generator!

After this event, I was never able to start the generator again. When I push down the button to prime it, I hear a "tic tic tic" noise exactly like the one we hear when a car battery is about to pass out and you try to start the car... When I hear that sound, I let go the button and push to try and start the generator. The starter make the generator turn but it will never start to run. If I let go the button, it dies instantly...

My battery power is at 12.5 volts....

Anybody can help on this...?

thanks

PS: excuse my english I am french speaking. tks
fanctil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2011, 06:43 PM   #2

Hi,

Make sure you have more than a quarter tank of gas. Typically the generator will not be able to pick up the gas when the tank is any lower; it's considered a safety feature to keep you from running out of gas.

Hope this helps!

Thx,
Matt
Cheepjeep80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #3

Thx CheepJeep80, I think you may have found the problem. Will try that tomorrow.

I wasn't aware of such a feature...

tks again
Old 08-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheepjeep80 View Post
Hi,

Make sure you have more than a quarter tank of gas. Typically the generator will not be able to pick up the gas when the tank is any lower; it's considered a safety feature to keep you from running out of gas.

Hope this helps!

Thx,
Matt
Yup, cost me $200 to get my generator fixed! I did get a full tank of fuel in the deal!
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #5

All right!

Case closed, this was the problem...
Generator running like a champ...

Thanks for hint, you da man!
Old 08-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #6

I am inviting you to look at my other thread to try and find a solution to defective slide-out:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/livi...tml#post938503
Old 08-25-2011, 03:44 AM   #7

generator

glad you got the solution. one more suggestion however, take an extra container of fuel with you--to have in an emergency.
rapturequick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #8

Hello,

I'm facing a similar problem with my Onan 5500 generator not starting (it's on a '09 Winnebago Sightseer that we recently purchased used from a PP). It was running fine on Saturday while on the road, but when I stopped to get fuel (still had more than 1/4 tank) I noticed that it had shut off. Thinking as others had pointed out that the fuel was too low, I didn't think much about it (note that I didn't try to restart as it wasn't needed).

A couple of days ago I tried to start it and it will turn-over fine but won't fire up. The unit was recently serviced (good oil level and fresh oil filter), so I'm not sure what else to check. I've got an appointment with a tech, but would love to avoid that trip if possible.

Thanks,
--Greg
glebeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
May be bad fuel. What fault code does it give you? You can check by pushing the stop button once, then it will blink the code, if it blinks 3 times then push the start button once and watch the blink sequence. Most likely be 1 blink then 4 blinks. If so then it points to the carburator, is bad fuel.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #10

Thanks for the note, SuperGewl. I was thinking a fuel issue as well, but the coach seems to be running fine and I'm not getting any fault codes. Maybe a gummed-up carburetor? Alternatively, I wondering about a fouled plug, but I'm not sure how prevalent that is with these units (I had a class C with an Onan 4K for 6 years and never had an issue).

As I couldn't figure anything out, I would up dropping it off with a tech this morning to resolve it. Will let you know what the diagnoses is.

Thanks again,
--Greg
Old 09-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #11

I just received a call from the tech and there was a loose wire on the fuel pump, so it wasn't getting any fuel. Wish I would have caught that, but I'll take that over a bigger issue any day of the week. Thanks again.

Tags
onan