Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2017, 04:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98FPA View Post
I have the Onan 5500 (model 5.5 BGM, spec G) and mine is acting like yours is. This spring I changed the oil and the fuel filter. After I had removed the old fuel filter, which I also think it was the original on - really - over 470 hours, I cut it open and it was remarkably very clean (totally surprised). I think my gen only has one fuel filter, now I am leaning toward a fuel pump problem??. My fuel pump in near the bottom on the backside of the generator as you are looking at the gen from the outside. You can see it when you are under the MH, looks like it could be somewhat of challenge to replace but others say they have done it. Went camping two weeks ago and the gen ran for about an hour and shut down. I started it before coming home and it ran all the without stopping (1-1/2 to 2 hours). Hopefully vsheetz has nailed it!
if you figure out the cause of this for sure please be sure to let me know on here. I will do the same. Fuel pump working sporatically seems odd to me cause my knowledge of fuel pumps is they work until they dont. but it sounds like this has been the issue in the past and will be something to look at.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2017, 04:11 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
The next time it does this, remove the gas cap and see if it clears up. I can't imagine the fuel tank with a slight negative pressure, but what the heck, its worth a shot.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:20 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
bob, I'm going on the same camping route I did a couple of weeks ago. I'll see how the gen does this time, taking same route so we will see. Interesting note that one turn on I took was on quite of tilt so maybe the low oil sensor sensed this???. I did also buy a fuel pump off ebay so that will probably eliminate the fuel pump!!!???. My Onan fuel pump part number is 149-2331-03.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:05 PM   #18

I had a slight problem with that. I realized I was turning it of with a load on it. Rookie mistake. I let it run for about 3 minutes without a load. Problem stopped.
jonesdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:31 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Any specific error code the generator is giving?
cpkleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesdg View Post
I had a slight problem with that. I realized I was turning it of with a load on it. Rookie mistake. I let it run for about 3 minutes without a load. Problem stopped.
I have shut it off under load before but don't do it anymore. I usually start it under no load and shut it off under no load.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:53 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpkleve View Post
Any specific error code the generator is giving?
Where would this error code show up? I didn't know it generates error codes anywhere.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:45 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well Bob, here is an update on generator issue. As I mentioned in the post above I did run the same route to our campground. Generator ran fine until I reached the campground and then it stopped (run time was 1.7 hours). I tried to start it but it acted like it was going to start, it was really too hot (95+) outside I just hooked up to shore power to stay cool. When I came home yesterday, I started the gen. and it ran all the home with the A/C on without a hitch. Ran it another 1/2 hour before I stopped it with the stop switch. Still confused as I was previously. I did add some Sea Foam to my gas tank prior to going camping so not sure whether it helped or not. I am not sure whether the heat somehow may be somewhat of factor in this too??. Oil level does not appear to be a factor. I still may try to replace the fuel pump prior to my next trip.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:56 PM   #23

Anyone ever figure this out. I'm having the same problems.
tmchavis07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:10 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmchavis07 View Post
Anyone ever figure this out. I'm having the same problems.

Welcome to the forum!

Being risk averse (Emergency Management side of me) would say that while you are doing, do it all. Your changing filers may result in a "fix" only to have it reappear at an inopportune time.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:36 AM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been to the Onan factory school. It is a week long school and very good. The vane type fuel pump on most of the 5500's is a good pump. It is a vane pump that has four or five vanes with a spring to hold the vane in position and tight against the outer wall of the pump. Onan calls for a filter BEFORE the pump. My 1998 Pace Arrow from Fleetwood did not have one. My son-inlaws 1998 thor motorhome did not have one. Both pumps failed. I removed both pumps and found rust, tiny, tiny flecks of rust, like small grains of sand, had jammed the vanes. I cleaned the pumps installed a filter before the pump and have had no problems in the last 9 years. I advise everyone to check for a filter before the pump and if there is not one to install one.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:20 AM   #26

I have replaced the pump and will install filter before pump. I got the new pump installed and I seem to have issues APPARENTLY charging. Can anyone lead me in the right direction to test for output voltage. I am new to electrical issues and the Onan in general.

Onan 5.5bgm Spec H..... HELP
Old 07-01-2018, 11:24 AM   #27

I have replaced the pump and will install filter before pump. I got the new pump installed and I seem to have issues APPARENTLY charging. Can anyone lead me in the right direction to test for output voltage. I am new to electrical issues and the Onan in general.

Onan 5.5bgm Spec H..... HELP

Genset is a little old but only has 42 hours on it. I do have a multimeter to do some tests. Thanks
Old 07-25-2018, 06:53 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I will add to this thread, on a trip this past week I ran the generator, Onan gas 5500, to cool the coach due to outside temp exceeding 95 degrees. The generator would only run a short time then shut down, after a couple of cycles I gave up depended on the coach AC. After arriving home I ran the gen over two hours, no problem. Could it have been the heat? That's what I am assuming.
kirkpal1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan