Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2014, 08:20 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
ONAN 5500 Generator Power

We plugged in this weekend (30 amp) and the AC worked great. We got ready to leave, shut down and unplugged. We went to a park for lunch before heading home, the 3yr old fell asleep so I fired up the generator so we could run the AC. I let it run a minute or so then turned on the AC which immediatly went to shed and would not come on. Repeated the process a couple of times to no avail. Started home, about 2 hours down the road and pulled in to get gas. Fired up the gen, AC came right on and stayed on the rest of the trip, 2 hours with no problem. We are new, so I wanted to get a little info on this before taking it to the RV shop....

Help!

FMCA F438950
AUPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2014, 08:33 AM   #2

What does
went to shed..mean ???
Did the generator quit running?? Was your fuel tank low on fuel?? Pick-up line feeding fuel to generator is positioned high, so as to not let you "run out of gas". Filling tank brought the level of fuel above the "line", enabling generator to get fuel.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:41 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sometimes a voltage issue can cause the Intellitec to not allow the A/C on. Intermittent, weird little occurings, never can put a finger on exactly what, but next time, try flipping off the A/C breakers, wait a minute or two, then back on. It sometimes can re-set if there's a gremlin in the electrics somewhere....

Without knowing more about the situation, its hard to tell. If you have a repeat of this, track the problem and see what situations are duplicate to the original, process of elimination/deductive reasoning is best.

Also, make sure both of the circuit breakers are in the ON position down on the generator.

One more thing, did you have something else on, like the microwave or somthing drawing power? The Intellitec will shed A/C functions if there isn't enough power to go around, power for microwave and other demands in the kitchen...just a thought.

Hope this helps.....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf intellitec.pdf (609.8 KB, 59 views)
Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:53 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUPOP View Post
so I fired up the generator so we could run the AC. I let it run a minute or so then turned on the AC which immediatly went to shed and would not come on.
Help!
Not sure what you mean by "went to shed". If the generator shut off it is likely low fuel if near 1/4 tank which is the general shutoff level for generators in RV's (done so they don't suck the tank dry and then you can't drive to the gas station).

If the a/c did not come on it might be that you did not give it sufficient time to come on. There is a built-in delay in the a/c circuit that keeps you from "short-cycling" the unit. In other words if you turn it off and then back on quickly, the head pressure will be high and the unit could be damaged by trying to start so they build a delay into the circuit so the head pressure equalizes. The delay is generally about 2 to 3 minutes and will occur even if you did not run it, but changed from say heat to cool or sometimes even just changed the temperature. I'd give it at least 5 minutes after you set the thermostat to cool and set the temperature. If it still doesn't work then that is not the issue. Some power conditioners/spike unit also have a built in delay (mine is a progressive and I set it to 3 minutes to allow generator to warm up) so the delay could be as much as 5 minutes before the a/c starts.
deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Shed means his Intellitec Electronic Climate Control (power management) light was staying red and would not allow the A/C to come on.

This ECC/Intellitec system 'SHEDS' power when necessary and doesn't allow both air conditioning compressors to come on at once. That's how a 30 amp coach can run 2 air conditioners with this system.

Hope this helps...
Old 03-26-2014, 09:40 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine sometimes goes to shed upon first turned on for one or both AC units. Usually After awhile (few to several minutes) they un-shed. Occasionally one remains in shed. I turn both off, wait a few minutes, then turn them back on and all is well. I think this is common behavior and not a problem per se.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:53 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
First of all, if you had the generator running but no AC, you don't have a fuel problem. If you had no fuel the thing would not run. The most likely problem is the timer in the changeover box. There is a timer that will not let the generator come on line for about two minutes. This is to allow the generator to come to power and stabilize before you add a load to it. It is very common for these to get weak and not work every time. My coach does this once in a while. I simply shut down the generator and restart it. You can replace just the timer module if it gets really bad. I just live with it because it only happens a couple of times a year. The shed system works on 12 volts, so it will show shedding if there is no 120 volts.
To see if this is the problem, the next time it happens, look at the microwave and see if you have 120 volts. I believe you will see there is no incoming AC.l
Old 03-26-2014, 10:08 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
First of all, if you had the generator running but no AC, you don't have a fuel problem. If you had no fuel the thing would not run. The most likely problem is the timer in the changeover box. There is a timer that will not let the generator come on line for about two minutes. This is to allow the generator to come to power and stabilize before you add a load to it. It is very common for these to get weak and not work every time. My coach does this once in a while. I simply shut down the generator and restart it. You can replace just the timer module if it gets really bad. I just live with it because it only happens a couple of times a year. The shed system works on 12 volts, so it will show shedding if there is no 120 volts.
To see if this is the problem, the next time it happens, look at the microwave and see if you have 120 volts. I believe you will see there is no incoming AC.l
I knew you'd know the answer!!
Old 03-26-2014, 10:18 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had over a half tank of gas, while the generator kept running, the "red" shed light on the intellitec dashboard stayed illuminated.

Kent, thanks for the pdf, perhaps I did not give it time to kick in. I will try your ideas next time out, Thanks!
FMCA F438950
AUPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:38 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My Fleetwood is of the same era as yours and the Generator is the same model.

As Ga Traveler stated: There is a delay prior to the AC starting after you start the Generator. This seems to be longer when you start the Generator with the AC in the "ON" position. Try to get into the habit off turning the AC off and leave the generator run a couple minutes prior to turning the air on, works for me.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:00 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
This ECC/Intellitec system 'SHEDS' power when necessary and doesn't allow both air conditioning compressors to come on at once. That's how a 30 amp coach can run 2 air conditioners with this system.
Hope this helps...
I would think the OP has a 50 amp coach since he says the generator is 5500 watts. Maybe wrong, but that's what mine is.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
I would think the OP has a 50 amp coach since he says the generator is 5500 watts. Maybe wrong, but that's what mine is.

Chuck
the OP's first line I just automatically thought he had a 30 amp coach. But maybe only 30 amp was available to plug in to. Didn't think about that.

Quote:
We plugged in this weekend (30 amp)
Old 03-26-2014, 12:23 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yeah, it was confusing. It's good he has an EMS for times when 50 amp is not available. I don't have one so when plugged into less then 50 have to be mindful of what is being turned on.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:50 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Chuck
His coach is a 30amp coach.

My '97 Bounder is 30amps and it too has the 5500 watt generator.

The ECC mentioned is NOT an EMS. It is only concerned with the two air conditioners. It will not "shed" any other devices or appliances.l

Tags
generator, onan, power